STI vs. Evo: Preview

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:56 PM

STI vs. Evo: Preview

"The unveiling of the 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX at the New York Auto Show caused both nods of approval and gasps of horror. Some liked the European flavor of the new design while others missed the hard-edged nature of past WRXs. Subaru has taken a new direction with its popular pocket-rocket, introducing a sporty-looking 5-door hatchback and an elegant sedan. But the question on everyone's mind was: What will happen with the super-high-performance WRX STI?

Unlike Mitsubishi and its Evo X, Subaru isn't quite ready to show off the styling of its highest-performing vehicle. The official debut of the car is still a few months away — probably at the Tokyo Motor Show this October — but we were able to get our hands on some vital information that provides a clear picture of what the next WRX STI will be like, including its basic appearance.

Take the exterior of the stock 5-door WRX and inject it with large doses of steroids; now you have an idea of how the next WRX STI will look. The car is about 3-4 in. wider than the stock Impreza WRX, with pronounced fender flares front and rear. “Muscular” is the operative term here, with the overall essence of the STI being that of a purebred race car instead of a street-legal 5-seater. The grille will be different from that of the stock WRX — black mesh will replace the chrome highlights of the stock car's — with the Subaru badge and STI logo placed inside. The car is a bit shorter than the current STI, measuring about 174.0 in. bumper to bumper, but wheelbase has grown to 103.1. As with the current model, gold-colored wheels will be optional, but they'll be 18 in. instead of the current model's 17s. The huge rear wing that has defined past WRX STIs will be replaced by something more subtle, like a diffuser coming off the roof.

Underneath the hood scoop is the same turbocharged 2.5-liter flat-4 of the past model. JDM (Japan domestic model) STIs will be powered by a 2.0-liter flat-4 for World Rally homologation reasons. The output of the 2.0-liter flat-4 is rumored to be at 300 bhp, which means our 2.5-liter version should pump out about 320. Torque will be around 320 lb.-ft. at 4000 rpm. The slight boost in power, coupled with the fact that the car will be about 50 lb. lighter, will make the next WRX STI just as quick as, if not quicker than, the Evo X.
Subaru Impreza WRX STI
Price

est $35,000
Curb weight

est 3300 lb
Wheelbase

103.1 in.
Length

est 174.0 in.
Width

est 71.0 in.
Height

est 58.0 in.
Engine & Drivetrain
Type

alum. block & heads, turbo flat-4
Valves

4-valves/cyl
Displacement

2457 cc
Horsepower

est 320 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque

320 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Transmission

6-speed manual
Chassis & Body
Layout

front engine/awd
Body/frame

unit steel
Brakes, f&r

vented discs, ABS
Steering

rack & pinion, variable pwr assist
Suspension, f/r

MacPherson struts/multilink
Wheels

forged alloy, 18 in.
Tires

Bridgestone Potenza, 235/40R-18
Performance
0–60 mph

est 4.5 sec
0–1320 ft (¼ mile)

est 12.5 sec

Sixty mph should come in around 4.5 seconds, and the quarter-mile mark in about 12.5. The boxer powerplant will be mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox — no automatic or twin-clutch system will be offered. What's new is Subaru's SI-Drive. This system, already in the Legacy spec.B, allows the driver to map the throttle to three different settings: Intelligent, Sport and Sport Sharp. It modifies the engine's torque characteristics, changing the way power is delivered. Intelligent mode is programmed for everyday commuting, while Sport Sharp is intended for sessions under the red mist, with super-quick throttle response and faster power delivery to the four wheels.

There probably won't be fancy traction- or yaw-control systems in the STI like in the Evo X, but DCCD (driver's control center differential) remains, allowing the driver to vary the torque delivery between the front and rear axles. The suspension system will be MacPherson struts up front and a multilink setup at the rear, the latter similar in geometry to that of the Legacy wagon. There are rumors that custom performance dampers, produced with Yamaha, and 6-pot front brake calipers from Brembo may make it into production. A yaw-control system similar to Mitsubishi's AYC is said to be in the works, but we're not sure if it will make it into this car. What we do know is the new STI will have sharper handling characteristics than the current model, without a sacrifice in ride quality, thanks to improved structural rigidity, a retuned suspension and its compact size.

Subaru wanted to keep things simple with the next WRX STI, opting not to cram it with all kinds of high-tech gadgetry. The engineers decided to focus on the basics and keep the price tag as low as possible. Early reports indicate that the next WRX STI will be priced about $35,000, right in the neighborhood of a certain aforementioned compact sports sedan. The on-sale date of early 2008 is also right on top of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X. The official launch of both cars is still more than a half year away, but the battle lines are already being drawn. We can't predict which car will come out on top, but we do know that it's going to be one helluva dogfight."

Name:  MockupImpreza08copySilverRimsFixed.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  33.8 KB

I for one, love the STI hatch, and wish I would have known that it was going this route...because I've always loved the concept of the performance hatchback, but figured that it would never make it to the states. Looks like Subaru is willing to take the risk.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:00 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I saw some track deal where they picked the best handling car in american and put up cars of all levels....they did the evo but no sti???WTF???

anyways. the style is growing on me but the evo looks like a cross between a volvo and a skyline...not sure yet...and the sti seriously looks like a slightly more attractive focus. It is growing on me though. I see potential in it.

What's sticker on the new sti?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:13 PM

Car Info: N/A
They could call it whatever they like but the new model is a wagon not a hatch. They should have released a three door version for the STi. :fighting0087:
Old 04-26-2007, 02:15 PM

Car Info: 04wrx
damn im feeling the white on gold. just waiting for zerosport or some other company to throw a widebody kit on these ha
Old 04-26-2007, 02:16 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 85 AE86, 84 FJ60
I want to see a showroom stock STI do a 12.5
Old 04-26-2007, 02:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Giant Bowery '84
wow. i like it
Old 04-26-2007, 02:20 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by wrxguy
damn im feeling the white on gold. just waiting for zerosport or some other company to throw a widebody kit on these ha
from my reading, these pics are still not the real sti hatch, its supposed to be even wider (body wise)
Old 04-26-2007, 02:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
dam! i want a 08 hatch now!
Old 04-26-2007, 02:27 PM

Car Info: 08 evo x
man, the hatch looks pretty cul. I almost wanted to stop looking at subarus since the release of the new impreza.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
OMGspooge!!!

<-- Huck, not LICmotorsports
Old 04-26-2007, 02:37 PM
UTR Member

Car Info: 93 Impreza L
I was hoping they'd keep the fender flares. Im digging the white one
Old 04-26-2007, 03:02 PM

Car Info: 98 GC8, 05 FXT, 06 PSD
Eh, not a fan. I just don't see the point of going wagon/hatch whatever you call it only on the Impreza line. Why? Well because Subaru has the:

(1) Forester
(2) Legacy
(3) Outback

All three of the above are wagons/hatches. Why does Subaru need to make another wagon??? Don't get me wrong I love wagons and own a FXT, but don't you guys think that 4 Wagon/hatch lines is a bit much??? What is the sedan lover to buy??? A Legacy GT? No thanks...I want my STI Sedan!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
Originally Posted by marcinzk
Eh, not a fan. I just don't see the point of going wagon/hatch whatever you call it only on the Impreza line. Why? Well because Subaru has the:

(1) Forester
(2) Legacy
(3) Outback

All three of the above are wagons/hatches. Why does Subaru need to make another wagon??? Don't get me wrong I love wagons and own a FXT, but don't you guys think that 4 Wagon/hatch lines is a bit much??? What is the sedan lover to buy??? A Legacy GT? No thanks...I want my STI Sedan!
:character0082:
herro, I will probably wait until the 09s come out and pick up an 08 for a good deal. Or just the 09.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:10 PM

Car Info: 2004 Aspen White WRX
Now those are some decent tailights.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:27 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by marcinzk

(1) Forester
(2) Legacy
(3) Outback

exactly. Why not both...you know. They really should have had both this whole time. And they're talking about bringing the forester sti...so it's like..>WTF???? First no wagon...now no sedan.....how hard is it....seriously.

Toyota is screwing everything up right now. Stupid toyota hood scoop. Hatch..etc.

They're talking all the subaru out of subaru.

not saying it's not nice or doesn't have potential...but seriously man.

Quick Reply: STI vs. Evo: Preview