STI DCCD + "Drifting tires" + 300+hp =

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by Freedom 35
The DCCD is the one thing on my car that I have never played with and totally ignore... I think because of an article I read about how leaving it in auto is the best choise for fast lap times, and posible damage in full lock mode (I know it's not totally locked). I would'nt even know what way to turn it to have more fun. Please enlighten.
Full lock is for loose surfaces, and I've only had it on full lock when in the snow, and it wasn't in my car.

Auto works well for fast laps, but if you are aiming to do something else like we were doing, or if you want a bit more rear bias, that's when the DCCD rear select rocks!

It's a shame to ignore your DCCD! A crime!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:48 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
My friends Forester STi conversion has the full DCCD setup working. Nothing like powering a Forester through some fancy driving - in a closed/controlled environment of course.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:59 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
DCCD is definitely fun but I still find it easy to drift/power slide 06+ STI's in auto mode. I've even ripped some mean donuts in auto. The 06+ DCCD programming actually helps you rotate the car unlike the previous years which just try to straighten you out.

-- Ed
Old 08-21-2009, 10:04 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
DCCD is definitely fun but I still find it easy to drift/power slide 06+ STI's in auto mode.
DCCD is fun to play with for a bit, but then... auto always. The car will still do almost all the hooliganistic driving you want.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
DCCD is definitely fun but I still find it easy to drift/power slide 06+ STI's in auto mode. I've even ripped some mean donuts in auto. The 06+ DCCD programming actually helps you rotate the car unlike the previous years which just try to straighten you out.

-- Ed
dccd worked great to the rear in my 05, but in auto mode it seemed to have more suspension/diff binding at low speeds that made it sometimes annoying. The auto mode on the 06 seems to be a lot smoother.

My 05 was catless stage 2, so fairly quick. The best thing about the dccd was in snow.....lock the front diff+ good tires..............I could 1st and 2nd floor it and crank the wheel.........you just plow like a snowmobile you can't loose the rear end. It's truly impressive to see the mechanics of the car be able to control it so well.

def need to put it to the rear for really tight canyon roads, def faster than auto.

Last edited by slow04wrx; 08-21-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:54 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

i use the DCCD to make the women... you... know... in my car.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:05 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
i never really bothered to play with it?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
is it just me or does it always clunk when turning when you have it towards 60%+
Old 08-21-2009, 04:52 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI Silver/78 911sc/ktm380exc/03 RC51/F4i
Originally Posted by Jin
is it just me or does it always clunk when turning when you have it towards 60%+
I notice the same thing,that horrible noise keeps me from putting mine towards the rear I'm scared I will mess something up.But maybe that's how it is?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
U

WERE

IN

MODESTO!

AND

DIDNT

TELL

ME?!?!?!?

DIAF!

i cant believe you brucelee
Old 08-21-2009, 09:20 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
Originally Posted by Unit 91
My friends Forester STi conversion has the full DCCD setup working. Nothing like powering a Forester through some fancy driving - in a closed/controlled environment of course.
kartboy? i saw his floorruster pre-dccd wiring. those wires were downright scary.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Originally Posted by Rgame
I notice the same thing,that horrible noise keeps me from putting mine towards the rear I'm scared I will mess something up.But maybe that's how it is?
^^??? Dunno what clunk you're talking about. My car will clunk in tight and slow turns, when in AUTO mode. If it bothers me, i put it in Full Rear. Full Rear setting is where you are going to NOT mess something up/bind up the gears.

Remember, if your Rear Diff'l Oil Temp gets too hot, it will start flashing the DCCD light (or something like that) and it will automatically switch to Full Rear mode.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:18 PM

Ive had my rear diff clunk in auto mode when doing a pendulum style turn (Shifting weight to one side throw throw the balance of the car off, then when the car's weight shifts to that direction you flick the car the opposite way). I'm not alone, this happens in every STi and there was even a thread about it in BAIC.

This doesn't happen when the car is set to full rear, well, it's never happened to me and I was doing the same exact thing as I was doing when in auto when it made that clunk.

Thank clunk is probably the worst noise EVER. It's only happened to me twice in my car since I've tried my best to avoid it at all costs. Having the car set to rear seems to solve the problem however since I can't reproduce it anymore.

One thing I wish is that the car wouldn't automatically go back to the default auto setting every time you start the car. It should stay in whichever setting you put it on until you physically change it yourself.

Whoa, kartboy has a DCCD forester!? That's awesome! So the wiring is that messed up eh? Sounds like it would be after reading about all the sensors involved! It's a shame that the standard WRX's don't have DCCD... It's an even bigger shame knowing that people who have DCCD don't use it!!! (all because they read that Auto is the best setting for the fastest lap times? There's more to driving then getting the fastest lap times!).

DCCD is more noticeable when you get tires that aren't as sticky as the stock ones. When I switched tires it was a huge difference (not in just my car either).
Old 08-21-2009, 11:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
I drove mine towards the rear setting at all times, especially at the track. This is an old video. The footage shown here is pretty bad. We were having so much fun we handed the camera off to a noob. This was on 255 Toyo RA1 slicks with cusco diffs front and rear btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTN6l7FmSjY

Last edited by wrexr; 08-21-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by zumnwrx
U

WERE

IN

MODESTO!

AND

DIDNT

TELL

ME?!?!?!?

DIAF!

i cant believe you brucelee
Crap, I didn't know you were in molesto! Besides, I'm all screwed up from the accident last sunday... Still have stitches in my face and have a lip the size of a sausage. Not pretty.

Quick Reply: STI DCCD + "Drifting tires" + 300+hp =