Stay Away From DayQuil The New Formula!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Stay Away From DayQuil The New Formula!!

Alright, as some of you know I had a job interview today at a job I've been persuing for a while... I have a slight cold/sore throat, so I figured I'd get some dayquil, it always works, so why not right?

Last night Miki and I went to Ikea... I took some DayQuil right before we left and thought nothing of it. When we got to Ikea I started feeling really dizzy and sort of sick to my stomach... I counldn't think clearly and it was affecting my motor functions... I chalked it up to the flu and being sick... I feared that it would get worse the next day for my interview...

Next morning I wake up and I feel pretty good... Sore throat like usual and some minor caughing. Drank a glass of chocolate milk and a granola bar, headed off to the interview.... While in my car I remembered I had DayQuil in the glove box so I popped 2 pills so I'd be good for my interview.

Well, and hour into my interview I get violently ill... I couldn't finish the interview and had to reschedule (which totally sucks because this is my future). This could have very well cost me my job. I was really pissed off that I was sick but I couldn't really blame myself because, well, I was friggin sick, and it happens.

I got home and a couple hours went by, and now I feel great... sore throat still, but thats it.

I call Miki and we were talking about what could have caused the sickness... I told her that I took Dayquil before the interview (I've always taken it, works fine... ) She then asked me what was in DayQuil, I told her Tylenol, Dextromorphan, and psuedoephedrine (spelling?!)... She then says "No...". No dayquil has a new formula that is "Psuedoephedrine-free"... they replaced it with a drug called "phenylephrine"... The reason being is because drug users abuse psuedoephedrine and make crack out of it (or some crap) so they changed it...

Turns out the drug "phenylephrine" has a slew of side effects including:

an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
· seizures;
· unusual behavior or hallucinations; or
· an irregular or fast heartbeat.
· dizziness, lightheadedness, or drowsiness;
· headache;
· insomnia;
· anxiety;
· tremor (shaking) or restlessness;
· nausea or vomiting; or
· sweating.
I had all of the bold ones!!!

I'm so pissed! Stay away from that crap!

c/n: Dayquil changed ingredients and added "phenylephrine" which has mad side effects and made me really ill for my job interview.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:28 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
BTW, pseudoephedrine is listed in the PDR as having as side effects of hallucinations, seizures, dizziness, excitability/anxiety, nausea or vomiting and sweats (all of your bold ones) among a bunch of others.

You may have had a bad reaction to this particular drug, but pseudoephedrine has the same common side effects - its not like any of these are new to Dayquil.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by mcowger
BTW, pseudoephedrine is listed in the PDR as having as side effects of hallucinations, seizures, dizziness, excitability/anxiety, nausea or vomiting and sweats (all of your bold ones) among a bunch of others.

You may have had a bad reaction to this particular drug, but pseudoephedrine has the same common side effects - its not like any of these are new to Dayquil.

Grrrr! Just had to take out my frustrations!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:55 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I always read the back of the box first. I try to just stay really well hydrated and drink lots of tea with honey.

Call me a hippy from Santa Cruz, but I don't have any of those symptums when I take natural meds.

I hope you feel better Dan, being sick majorly sucks. My turn is coming soon, I just know it.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:01 PM
jic

Car Info: 98 2.5rs/94 rx7/04 mazda6/06 audi s4/12 GT-R
thats why u gotta slap the bengay on the throat
Old 05-01-2006, 08:11 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Don't drink milk or eat dairy products when you have a cold. It will add to your concested feeling and make you build up mucous.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:26 PM

i think it was the chocolate milk you drank before you took the dayquil..Your not suppose to mix that with milk or dairy products
Old 05-01-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by hYpE-R-29
i think it was the chocolate milk you drank before you took the dayquil..Your not suppose to mix that with milk or dairy products

What? That is so false.

Doesn't explain why the same damn thing happened to me the previous night.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
a few years back I was really sick with a bad cold and I woke up one mornign feeling like complete ****, so I took a little more than 1 dose of dayquil and planned to veg out all day. Well I ate breakfast and then took the dayquil....and then noticed I had a phone message so I listened to it... "Hi, this is Dave from Suncoast, wanted to see if you could come in for an interview today" ahhh shiiiiiit. I called him back and went in because I was feeling fine....untill it came time for the 2 hour orientation around the store. that was not a good move....but I made it through and got the ****ty 6.75/hour....4 hours/week job at the mall :-\
Old 05-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I find it really funny, that nowadays, you can get simple nasel drops to rid yourself off stuffy nose and get rectal bleeding or uncontrollable erection as a side effect.

Did they really ran out of things to make drugs from or was it always like that and only now they are FORCED to mention it in the fine print...
Old 05-01-2006, 08:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
now they are pretty much forced too even if only one person in the testing gets it

I think its pretty much a liability thing
Old 05-01-2006, 09:48 PM

Car Info: MY05RS, MY70914, and MY10VT1300CS
good luck on the interview. Better job = more money. More money = more guns. More guns = whatever the hell you want it to mean. WoOt!