State ref.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:37 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX WAGON ...WFC #109...
State ref.

what's up everyone... i got state reff'd for my exhaust... so i am gonna put my stock TBE on for now and flash back to my stock map... i just want to know which state reff station is the best to go to... also will they say anything if my car is lowered (just wondering)... i just need to get it done by the 26th of this month.. thanks for everyones help..

also i am from the concord/walnut creek area so there are any stations local to me that would be great..if not oh well...
Old 08-13-2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Ronald S
what's up everyone... i got state reff'd for my exhaust... so i am gonna put my stock TBE on for now and flash back to my stock map... i just want to know which state reff station is the best to go to... also will they say anything if my car is lowered (just wondering)... i just need to get it done by the 26th of this month.. thanks for everyones help..

also i am from the concord/walnut creek area so there are any stations local to me that would be great..if not oh well...
as long as your sideskirts or body kit (if u have one) is not lower than the bottom of the wheel rim, you're good to go.

I went to the state ref at Skyline College and had a good experience there (only for dB test), but that was several years ago. I only had to deal with the college interns/student refs and not the senior ref inspector so that was cool as well.

make sure u take out any aftermarket gauges because u can fail visual for something stupid like that if you are getting smogged.

Last edited by TurnWRX; 08-13-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
hey wsup dude,

not sure if you remembered but i was the guy talking about the car show at BAM and i parked right next to your booth.

anyways, since you live over in the east bay, you can go to las positas (sp) IIRC theres a ref station there. id recommend going to evergreen valley college but thats all the way here in SJ. dont worry about suspension. i came in with coilovers. the only thing they bagged me on was my gauges and turbo timer which wasnt functioning at the time of my appt, but they INSISTED i remove them, so if you have these mods, take em off now.

gluck with everything man
Old 08-13-2009, 04:49 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
did you have a cat back exhaust only?

if so, I would take that to the ref and have them measure the sound level. If you pass you will get a sticker on the back of your ticket to take to court, and if I remember correctly, keep with you after if you are pulled over for it again.

its not illegal to have an aftermarket cat back exhaust, its only illegal if it does not meet the states maximum db level.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:51 PM

listing the CVC code would be nice as well.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious

if so, I would take that to the ref and have them measure the sound level. If you pass you will get a sticker on the back of your ticket to take to court, and if I remember correctly, keep with you after if you are pulled over for it again.

its not illegal to have an aftermarket cat back exhaust, its only illegal if it does not meet the states maximum db level.
looks like he has a TBE since he mentioned he needs to remove and put on his stock TBE on.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:57 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi

dood if you have an aftermarket dp just take it off and put your stock back and leave the cbe then go to the state ref and have the db level check passing is 95 im telling you right now if you dont pass then i dont know how mine passed i have a HKS Carbon Ti and it only went up to 92-93 db on a 4.5k rev. if it passed hes gonna put a sticker in the back of the ticket then give you a paper saying that you met the required db level if you ever get pulled over again just show the paper oh and yeah I had a turbo timer on mine when i went to get my cert but they never really checked anything only my exhaust LOL

Last edited by gotrice?; 08-13-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:59 PM

Car Info: bici putas
^ exactly with the OEM downpipe and midpipe, any catback will pass (correct me if I'm wrong). There is a resonator and muffler. That is sufficient for 95db
Old 08-13-2009, 06:00 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
i got state ref. last year for exhaust also. the best way is but everything back to stock and if you have gauges take it off too. i went to alameda and they were kool cuz they had a kid smog it. and it cost 8.25
Old 08-13-2009, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by knock
^ exactly with the OEM downpipe and midpipe, any catback will pass (correct me if I'm wrong).
you won't pass without a silencer on a blitz nur spec R or a kakimoto gt 1.0z or a helix catback, or any full titanium piping catback.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:51 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
I didnt pay a cent when i got my car tested for DB level. i left my carbon ti cbe on without a silencer too and really it doesnt hurt to get your db level tested and if you fail then just put everything back to stock. i dont think theyll charge you if you fail anyway.

this is just my 2 cent it doesnt make any sense to take off your aftermarket cbe and after you pass youll put it back on and then maybe get pulled over again for the same reason which happened to me and thats the reason why i went straight to the ref. i went to the ref knowing that im not gonna pass but still i tried and it did passed and i got a proof that my cbe is compliant with the law.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:44 PM

Car Info: .
Do what I did, move.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:46 PM
mda

Car Info: ?

you lose them after court...so make a doublesided color copy at kinkos and keep it in the glovebox, the more money spent making the copy look real...and laminate it, the less you'll spend later.

Ask me how i know.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by mda
you lose them after court...so make a doublesided color copy at kinkos and keep it in the glovebox, the more money spent making the copy look real...and laminate it, the less you'll spend later.

Ask me how i know.
hah I did the opposite. I made color copies of the sticker, and put the copy on the ticket and kept the real one in my glovebox
Old 08-13-2009, 08:07 PM
mda

Car Info: ?
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
hah I did the opposite. I made color copies of the sticker, and put the copy on the ticket and kept the real one in my glovebox

Quick Reply: State ref.