SSD conversion for Macbook Pro

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 09:37 AM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
The physical work takes around 10min yes (maybe 20 for me as I am tedious and don't like to mess anything up). The downloads and such will only happen if you have a valid Apple ID or "something else" not really sure there, sounds like a service contract or something is needed. If the drive were intact, I could confidently say I could do it - the longest time would be copying the drive. Without the drive being intact, I could say I could do the physical work (including Loc-tite on the screws, this is pretty important) but he would be on his own for the OS load.

Does anyone know for sure (I mean like actually) what it would take to pull down the OS on a 2009 MBP that may or may not have AppleCare or any sort of service contract/support?
If it's anything like my 2008 model, I believe you need a dvd copy of OSX.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:39 AM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Does anyone know for sure (I mean like actually) what it would take to pull down the OS on a 2009 MBP that may or may not have AppleCare or any sort of service contract/support?
What do you mean OS?

If you mean install an OSX, it doesn't take longer than 30 minutes. You can use another mac to make a bootable USB drive, and do it off that.

If you mean grab all your files (not the OS), then it depends on how many files you have on the drive. All you would have to do is hook the drive up through usb and pull the files off. Hopefully the drive wouldn't be damaged bad enough to where it wouldn't even power up.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Baliztik
What do you mean OS?

If you mean install an OSX, it doesn't take longer than 30 minutes. You can use another mac to make a bootable USB drive, and do it off that.

If you mean grab all your files (not the OS), then it depends on how many files you have on the drive. All you would have to do is hook the drive up through usb and pull the files off. Hopefully the drive wouldn't be damaged bad enough to where it wouldn't even power up.
Oh sorry, that is short for "Operating System" which since this is an Apple MacBook Pro, would indeed be OSX.

I have heard that one can connect an ethernet cable, and type a command once a bare machine begins/tries to boot, and simply enter their AppleCare credentials, and the system will pull down the OS (OSX), and boot up like a new machine. Since it seems like Hide does not have AppleCare, I was wondering what alternate routes would be there for him to be able to load OSX on his machine, once it has the new HD installed and such. Still not clear.

I get what you are saying about a bootable drive and all that, but, even if you have the media and can boot it, can you load OSX on a machine? If this were Windoze and I had everything in order, I would still need a valid license key.

It sounds like the existing drive is hosed, and will not be available for cloning/pulling data off.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
I did have apple care but it's been 2 years already. And I had a hd replaced a bit over 2 years ago in japan with the coverage. I'm thinking of a hybrid drive. Os on the SSD portion and the rest on the spinner
Old 07-04-2014, 02:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
I did the conversion right after buying my 2012 MBP

Got mine from OWC, super easy install... runs pretty damn fast I gotta say.

All my video/photo/media related apps saw a huge boost in performance.

OWC SSD7P6G480 480GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD... in stock at OWC
Old 07-05-2014, 10:40 AM

Just did this a few days ago. Insanely easy all you need a torx t-6 to get the hd mounting bolts out of the old drive.

I went with samsung 840 500gb. As long as you have some copy of osx that will work you can install that and download the newer version.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:24 PM

Car Info: WRX
There is no license key for osx, you can download it and install without any issues. The Blake drive in my opinion is the easiest way
Old 07-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
I'm looking towards hybrid drives now due to price and affordability ATM with school and such any experience?
Old 07-06-2014, 12:06 AM

Car Info: Subaru STi Sedan '13
Originally Posted by Heedz
I'm looking towards hybrid drives now due to price and affordability ATM with school and such any experience?
They're fine dude. I had one setup for a while on my laptop till I could afford the SSD.