Sprained Ankles

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
once it no longer hurts to walk / move on, do some barefoot running on grass. it'll help train the lateral muscles in your leg to 1.) help you get your strength back faster 2.) prevent your wimpy ankle from giving out again
Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
like sprinting or a jog?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Jog!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:06 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
Sprained ankles 3 times now -- twice on left ankle, once on right -- all from basketball LOL.

Give it as much rest as you can. On the worst of my left ankle sprain, I can already walk the next day, but it was very very slow/gingerly. Sure, I worked from home for a week, but I still need to walk from bedroom to bathroom or kitchen. I started walking (still slow) with tolerable pain after a week. Walking pain gone by 2nd week, some tolerable pain still there when jogging. By the 3rd or 4th week, I started playing ball again, but minimized jumping and sprinting around, as that still brings some pain. I'd say about 5-6 months before the pain is completely, 100% gone. I've got no hops or quicks to begin with, though, so more athletic people's experience might be different haha
Old 07-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Car Info: .
Ankle and knee injuries are the worst.

I popped my LCL (grade 2 sprain) a few weeks ago and it is still reminds me its there a few times a day.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:59 PM

Car Info: 85 MR2 & 89 Alltrac Camry
You won't walk much at X Games. We stay in the rally area. You're not even driving up or back
Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
ICE NSAID's and stay off of it...took me a bit over 2 weeks to get over.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:10 AM

Car Info: 2004 subaru impreza wrx STi
Well at least this injury hasn't hindered u from stopping all that illegal **** streaming!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:12 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
I sprained my ankle a few years ago skateboarding. It was sore for like a few weeks! So I went into the doctors, they took X-rays to make sure no fractures, that looked good, then they ordered up an MRI. Ends up I tore some ligaments, I opted for surgery, when they went in they found that the ligament was holding on by a couple of strands. They re-attached the ligaments since it was still fresh enough and sewed me back up. I'm back almost 100%.

I could have not done the surgery, and things would have healed, but I would have been only at around 75-80% capacity and more prone to injury in that same spot. Also surgery any later would have been more involved as the elasticity of the broken strands would have stiffened up.

Like most said ICE!

Last edited by adizon; 07-29-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:12 PM

Car Info: 12 Impreza Wagon, RIP 91 Honda Civic Wagon :(
Definitely R.I.C.E. like so many others have said. After about 4-6 weeks you really should do physical therapy so that you regain the strength in the ankle area.

Basic stuff:

1. Sit on the ground with your legs out straight in front of you - point your toes towards the ground as far as they will go, then bring the feet back towards you as far as they will go. Repeat a few times.
2. While sitting on a chair move your feet in a circular motion clockwise and then anti-clockwise. Repeat a few times.
3. Stand with your feet balanced on the edge of a step (and holding on to the rail or wall for balance) rise up on your feet so that your toes are at a 45% angle to the rest of your foot. Alternate this with lowering your heals below the edge of the step while balancing on the ***** of your feet. Repeat a few times.

There are plenty of other exercises you can do, but these three will be better than doing nothing.

The last time I sprained my left ankle was 11 years ago and I was on crutches for 6 weeks (could not take any time off work and was on the go all the time). Plus I had to swap cars with my employer for almost 4 months because I could not drive a manual. Because of the physical therapy I did with the SF Ballet therapist I have had no more trouble with that ankle and I used to sprain it every 2-3 years.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 PM

Car Info: vtak mota
dang sprain ankles.... try breaking both

but from experience dont force anything... your still young so you can still force yourslef even if it hurts... but itll come in the future...

ya everyone's advice is real good so far