Speed Contest

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 09:08 PM

Car Info: 180sx super drift machine!
reduced to a speeding ticket? prolly not...but the impound is 30 days and the fine is pretty hefty...check out some of the other threads, one of them has a link to the CVC...i think speed contest is 23109a? maybe that exibition of speed cant remember...but do a search...lots of good info on the web nowadays about laws
Old 09-10-2003, 09:11 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
you go to court...they give you options....

1) is to plea "guilty" and then the fine should be ruduced to like $100. and 2 points on your record. That will be there for 3 yrs i think.

2) is fight it...but if they find you "guilty" you get fined big time and could loose your DL.

At least thats what happened to me. I plead "guilty" since... I was.

-freddie
Old 09-10-2003, 09:14 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
Ps. they will let you know when you get there....they will explain it to you. You are lucky you didnt get arrested, or impounded. I got off too

Also, I wasnt a minor, so it might be different. and...this is considered a misdemeanor. look on your ticket. misdemeanor will be checked.

-freddie
Old 09-10-2003, 11:25 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
I was caught for reckless driving and illegal lane changes... I was going 140+mph on my motorcyle. (I was young and dumb). anyways, when I appeared in court the judge gave me 2 choices:

1-Plead guilty and judge would reduce the fines and drop the illegal lane change

2-Not guilty and come back for a hearing.

I aske the judge, "can I attend traffic school" and he just sad "ok", but traffic school was $300. But I did not get any points on my driving record. whatever you do always try to go to traffic school.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:29 PM

Car Info: 04 aspen white sti
I spent the night in jail and when I went to my hearing they dropped it and went with reckless $635
Old 09-10-2003, 11:39 PM

Car Info: 2002 subaru impreza WRX
i was kind of in the same situation as you were, i got pulled over and they said that i should have been arrested and my car impound. anyways, they gave me a reckless driving ticket. i appeared in court 2 months later and the county charged me with reckless driving and speed contest. they will give you an option of guilty or not guilty, i said not guilty. then they gave me a public defender, she got the speed contest charge drop, but i had to plead no contest to it, then she told me what my fines were, which was $800 and two years probation, all you do for the probation is not break anylaws. then you appear in front of the judge and tell him what you plead, a month later. thats about it, i dont mean to scare you, but that was my experience with it. if you have anyqestions feel free to email me or reply.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:57 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX "Bling Bling" Silver
If u didnt get ur car impounded right then and there most likely they will not impound it. Same situation happend 2 me except i got arrested and got a free nights sleep at the police station. Well n e who i went 2 court and they let me go and they did not give me a ticket or points. So i really got lucky there i also was a juvinile. But yea i heard u could get away if u give a good *** explination 2 the reason why u were racing haha. I doubt its true but yea thats my side of the story.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:58 AM

im in jail right now for speeding
(wifi with my palmpilot)
Old 09-11-2003, 05:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Old Brighton
Originally posted by Daredevil
(wifi with my palmpilot)
????Really????Where did they get you speeding??
Old 09-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally posted by Daredevil
(wifi with my palmpilot)
you gotta be joking...

Speed contest? you are guilty of it. I don't think you can really fight this. Plead that way, and ask for a fine reduction. And DON'T get 2 more points in the next year, or your DL goes bye bye...

-Gagan
Old 09-11-2003, 11:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Also, when you appear infront of the judge, make sure you are CLEAN CUT, and WELL DRESSED! I cant stress that enough...that really does a make a difference in the judges eyes. I had a ticket for a carpool violation ($281), I took it to court, wearing a shirt and tie/slacks, plead guilty, and wanted to go to traffic school.....the judge said to me, and I quote: "why would you want to go to traffic school and waste it? (you can only attend traffic school once every 6 months or year or something like that to remove a point off your record) this is not a moving violation, you wont get any points on your record." Then the judge knocked my fine back to $71, no traffic school, and no points....

I know your situation is a bit worse, so I would expect to be fined and get points...but if the judge likes you, he will be more likely to reduce your fine/sentence. So be respectful, and look good. Very important.

my 3¢

-Ted
Old 09-11-2003, 12:36 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
CVC:

Speed Contests

23109. __(a) No person shall engage in any motor vehicle speed contest on a highway. As used in this section, a motor vehicle speed contest includes a motor vehicle race against another vehicle, a clock, or other timing device. For purposes of this section, an event in which the time to cover a prescribed route of more than 20 miles is measured, but where the vehicle does not exceed the speed limits, is not a speed contest.

(b) No person shall aid or abet in any motor vehicle speed contest on any highway.

(c) No person shall engage in any motor vehicle exhibition of speed on a highway, and no person shall aid or abet in any motor vehicle exhibition of speed on any highway.

(d) No person shall for the purpose of facilitating or aiding or as an incident to any motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition upon a highway in any manner obstruct or place any barricade or obstruction or assist or participate in placing any barricade or obstruction upon any highway.

(e) Any person convicted of a violation of subdivision (a) shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than 24 hours nor more than 90 days or by a fine of not less than three hundred fifty-five dollars ($355) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or both that fine and imprisonment. The person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall be subject to suspension as provided in subdivision (a) of Section 13352. The person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle may be restricted for 90 days to six months to necessary travel to and from that person's place of employment and, if driving a motor vehicle is necessary to perform the duties of the person's employment, restricted to driving in that person's scope of employment. This subdivision does not interfere with the court's power to grant probation in a suitable case.

(f) Any person convicted of a violation of subdivision (a) for an offense which occurred within five years of the date of a prior offense which resulted in a conviction of a violation of subdivision (a) shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than four days nor more than six months and by a fine of not less than five hundred dollars ($500) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000). Additionally, the Department of Motor Vehicles shall either suspend the person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle, as provided in subdivision (a) of Section 13352, or the person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall be restricted for six months to necessary travel to and from that person's place of employment and, if driving a motor vehicle is necessary to perform the duties of the person's employment, restricted to driving in that person's scope of employment. This subdivision does not interfere with the court's power to grant probation in a suitable case.

(g) If the court grants probation to any person punishable under subdivision (f), in addition to the provisions of subdivision (f) and any other terms and conditions imposed by the court, which may include a fine, the court shall impose as a condition of probation that the person be confined in the county jail for not less than 48 hours nor more than six months. The person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall also be suspended by the Department of Motor Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 13352 or shall be restricted pursuant to subdivision (f).

(h) If any person is convicted of a violation of subdivision (a) and the vehicle used in the violation is registered to that person, the vehicle may be impounded at the registered owner's expense for not less than one day nor more than 30 days.

(i) Any person who violates subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of this section shall upon conviction thereof be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 90 days or by fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500) or by both that fine and imprisonment.

(j) If a person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle is restricted by a court pursuant to this section, the court shall clearly mark the restriction and the dates of the restriction on that person's driver's license and promptly notify the Department of Motor Vehicles of the terms of the restriction in a manner prescribed by the department. The Department of Motor Vehicles shall place that restriction in the person's records in the Department of Motor Vehicles and enter the restriction on any license subsequently issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles to that person during the period of the restriction.

(k) The court may order that any person convicted under this section, who is to be punished by imprisonment in the county jail, be imprisoned on days other than days of regular employment of the person, as determined by the court.

(l) This section shall be known and may be cited as the Louis Friend Memorial Act.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
haha...16 years old. lol
Old 09-11-2003, 01:54 PM

Car Info: 06 Evo MR
You can pay up to 1000 dollars in fines. Have your car impounded for 30 days.

It's a 2 point misdemeanor criminal offense with no option of correction. It stays on your driving record for 7-8 years. Though fortunately insurance companies only look back 3 years. So in three years your insurance will drop. get a plea bargain and have them reduce it in exchange for community service time. The DA will have to decide that and you'll definitely want a lawyer on that one.

Currently you face all the above plus jail time plus your insurance carrier will most likely drop you... if they don't and you're with your mommy and daddy which you most likely are... they will probably keep you but will rape you.

Get a lawyer. It's worth the money. A traffic lawyer in this case will run from 800-1000.

My information is first hand

Last edited by Silky; 09-11-2003 at 01:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Speed Contest