South Bay: Can someone help me pull this CEL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:42 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Here's the deal:

"Pulling the code" does not equal "proper diagnosis".
The DTC merely points you in right direction (most times) on which circuit/system is having problems.

I have a question for those that don't like the idea of shops charging for pulling codes:

Do you plan on having the shop do the repair work or are you going to repair ythe car yourself?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:40 AM

Car Info: bici putas
Yeah, I've had a shop pull a code only once, it was an AAMCO that I've had two transmissions$$$$ rebuilt at. Had no intention of having them do work on the car since I do my own wrenching, but figured that they wont be losing any profit on me.

As far as charging to pull codes, I think it's a subjective thing and up to the owner's business plan. Free diagnostics bring in lots of good business, but also bring in yahoos, cheapskates, asshats, and can waste a tech's time. My personal opinion is that pulling codes at face value should be free, but any insight and expertise should be kept for full diagnostic service fees.

For the record, I highly recommend the Equus Innova 3130 sold $200 at Kragen. It has live and freezeframe data for all general engine parameters so with the code comes some numbers to pinpoint the issue. Best money I've ever spent at that circus.