Sound bars...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:00 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Sound bars...

Since we're on the tech tip today...

Any of you guys running sound bars for your TV set ups?

I don't want to run a crazy stereo system. I've got hardwood floors so I don't want the wires.

So I've been looking at 2/1 sound bars with wi/fi subs and the ability to connect to any device through blue tooth... i.e. phones.

I like the looks of the samsung ones... especially the new one. Anyone have experience with these things?

I'm still setting up my living room so I'm trying to figure out if my tv is going on a wall mount or on a media console. I'm leaning towards the wall with a smaller media console under it. I'll push the wires through the wall and plug everything in in the closet behind it. And have all the devices plug in behind the media console with the hdmi cables pushing through the wall. No visible wires. I'm ****.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I like ****.
Dude, TMI!!

Funny you posted this, I was thinking the same thing. ahah I have a bluray stereo set up and it's not massive but I was having issues hooking my PS3 up to it. But I messed around with it this weekend and got it set up so it works.

If I were looking into it, I might spend the money and get a bose one.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:13 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
I have had problems with interference with WIFI speakers before. My brother had a HT with wireless rears and sub. We had nothing but problems with them both cutting in and out. can you run the wires in your ceiling and drop them down to the speaker locations?
Old 10-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
If I were looking into it, I might spend the money and get a bose one.
Don't make me smack the stupid out of your mouth...
Old 10-15-2013, 12:16 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
I have had problems with interference with WIFI speakers before. My brother had a HT with wireless rears and sub. We had nothing but problems with them both cutting in and out. can you run the wires in your ceiling and drop them down to the speaker locations?
Yeah there's space up there to do that.

But I was hoping a sound bar that only has to deal with a sub would be o.k.

I wouldn't mind a 5/1 but I was trying to avoid it. If anything I'd do a sound bar and run rear speakers and put them in the ceiling... no wires running down the walls. LOL!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Since we're on the tech tip today...

Any of you guys running sound bars for your TV set ups?

I don't want to run a crazy stereo system. I've got hardwood floors so I don't want the wires.

So I've been looking at 2/1 sound bars with wi/fi subs and the ability to connect to any device through blue tooth... i.e. phones.

I like the looks of the samsung ones... especially the new one. Anyone have experience with these things?

I'm still setting up my living room so I'm trying to figure out if my tv is going on a wall mount or on a media console. I'm leaning towards the wall with a smaller media console under it. I'll push the wires through the wall and plug everything in in the closet behind it. And have all the devices plug in behind the media console with the hdmi cables pushing through the wall. No visible wires. I'm ****.
I'm going to email you something.

Pass it along, I can't post it.

Last edited by joltdudeuc; 10-15-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Overnight Sensations MT Speaker Pair Kit 300-706

Lepai LP7498E 200W Class D Digital Amplifier with Bluetooth 310-298

Still requires speaker cables though.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:37 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
LMFAO. There will be a line for that. While we're at it, is there gonna be a 105D as well? I want to know because I am looking at picking up a 105 soon.

You can get away with a very simple 2.1 or 3.1 setup and it really does work. Better than any soundbar I've ever heard too, but requires a bit more gear. I'd definitely take a good 2.1 setup over a lesser system as well.

I will also take wires over appearance every time. Simple, effective and really don't tend to get in the way realistically.

Last edited by 04GG; 10-15-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:49 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by 04GG
LMFAO. There will be a line for that. While we're at it, is there gonna be a 105D as well? I want to know because I am looking at picking up a 105 soon.

You can get away with a very simple 2.1 or 3.1 setup and it really does work. Better than any soundbar I've ever heard too, but requires a bit more gear. I'd definitely take a good 2.1 setup over a lesser system as well.

I will also take wires over appearance every time. Simple, effective and really don't tend to get in the way realistically.
In my house they do.

The living room is literally where you walk in the house. It's all hard wood. I would be forced to run the wires through the ceiling. Otherwise I have to run it down and around and it will cross 2 door ways or look like a 1970's house with wires stapled around every door way.

And there's pretty much nowhere for me to put 2 or 3 front speakers unless I mount them in the wall somewhere. There is about 48 inches of space between a wall and a door. That's where the tv is.

Beyond that... I don't have my receiver anymore so I'd be forced to drop money on a new one.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:02 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

We can talk offline about it if you want; I can take a look at your place and see if I can figure something out for you. There are wireless systems that might work for you, but they aren't exactly cheap. Soundbars have actually come a long way lately, but they still aren't a great replacement for a decent setup. At the same time, a full setup won't always work, like in your situation. I know where you're coming from too. I basically can't use my fireplace and gave up use of one window in my main room because of my system.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:03 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
I have a friend who was in the same situation. He has little to no room for speakers on the floor and wires on the floor. He was over at my house and really liked how my office setup sounds and found one online. Had me go over to install it. all of the speakers are mounted to the walls, wires drop out of the ceiling and the "reciever" unit is small, the amp is built into the sub. Its the Logitech Z5500 5.1 system. Its THX cert and if you look into the system you will find the actually speakers they use in their cabinets are good quality. The biggest negative i have for it is the number of inputs. If you have a modern tv that has fiber out your all set.
Amazon.com : Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System : Electronics Amazon.com : Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System : Electronics
Just a thought.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:11 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Haven't actually heard this one, but I own a pair of speakers designed by this guy. He basically designs speakers that are stupid expensive for Pioneer (TAD - http://tad-labs.com/en/consumer/evolution_one/) and they decided to have him see what he could do with their cheap stuff and the results are actually quite surprising.

Newegg.com - Pioneer SP-SB23W Speaker Bar System

The other side of reality today, most thin TVs have speakers that suck.

Originally Posted by queeg9k
I just picked up this little amp and I am really impressed with it: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=310-326

Last edited by 04GG; 10-15-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:11 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I got the Bose one ): lol
Old 10-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
I got a vizo sound bar. it came with rear satellite speakers and floor sub. It works great. nothing too expensive. bose is alright, i'd rather get denon.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:24 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Bose is way overpriced vs. the performance returned. They don't sound bad (and I say that with huge caveats), but the price...

Last edited by 04GG; 10-15-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Sound bars...