Sorry to post another "Eff you COPS" thread, but I'm not really sorry at all, pigs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:51 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by iLoqin
The guy is at a border check point, if he was hiding something wouldn't he have tried to drive around the border checkpoint? He knows it's a checkpoint and he knew he wasn't carrying anything. Cuz if I was carrying something I'd definitely NOT DRIVE TO A BORDER checkpoint. He chose to drive there because he knew he had nothing suspicious. BY constitutional LAW he has the right to refuse.

This probably cause thing has been blown out of proportion. A cop can almost make anything up for probably cause, this rule needs a backside like... Your department will be sued by the state for 5million dollars every time you fail to provide evidence. 5million is insane, but in this country, money talks.
do you realize how many people get busted at check points?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:52 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
You don't really have an option to not cooperate at a security check point. I think people are forgetting that driving is not a right.

If a cop turns on his lights to pull you over, do you pull over? You have to. If you are at an LEO enforced security check point and they ask you questions (obviously not rediculous questions, or he would have birches about that in his video too) guess what, you get to answer them!
the whole notion of a "security checkpoint" has its roots in a police state.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:54 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
so you're saying you'd rather not have security check points at airports, border crossings, etc?

I have no issues stopping at a security check point if it stops one fruit cake from blowing up a plane or one illegal from smuggling himself and a bunch of drugs in to my country.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by iLoqin
The guy is at a border check point, if he was hiding something wouldn't he have tried to drive around the border checkpoint? He knows it's a checkpoint and he knew he wasn't carrying anything. Cuz if I was carrying something I'd definitely NOT DRIVE TO A BORDER checkpoint. He chose to drive there because he knew he had nothing suspicious. BY constitutional LAW he has the right to refuse.

This probably cause thing has been blown out of proportion. A cop can almost make anything up for probably cause, this rule needs a backside like... Your department will be sued by the state for 5million dollars every time you fail to provide evidence. 5million is insane, but in this country, money talks.
really? You think you have a constitutional right to refuse to answer questions from an LEO at a security check point? Why don't you quote that law directly from the constitution. Quote the whole "law" too, because I know you'll try to take something like the 5th amendment out of context. I already know you lack a firm understanding of laws regarding LEO's by your misuse of the term "probable cause."
Old 05-15-2009, 11:55 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
You don't really have an option to not cooperate at a security check point. I think people are forgetting that driving is not a right.

If a cop turns on his lights to pull you over, do you pull over? You have to. If you are at an LEO enforced security check point and they ask you questions (obviously not rediculous questions, or he would have birches about that in his video too) guess what, you get to answer them!
Negative...I do not have to co operate with Border security at a check point that is not on the border.

4th & 5th ammendments cover this topic.

A police officer can ask me for ID & I do not have to present it.
Now, the police can detain/arrest me, but they better have preeeetttyy good evidense that I did something wrong.

There's a huge difference between "police officer" and "agent of tyranny."
Old 05-15-2009, 11:58 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
so you're saying you'd rather not have security check points at airports, border crossings, etc?

I have no issues stopping at a security check point if it stops one fruit cake from blowing up a plane or one illegal from smuggling himself and a bunch of drugs in to my country.
Now that's some funny ****.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:59 AM

Car Info: Nadda
I think probable cause should re-evaluated. You can't double back on it twice. A probable cause should be presented at the beginning, not midway through to pull someone over or make an arrest.

Definition of Probable Cause:
1) a reasonable belief that a person has committed a crime
2) a reasonable amount of suspicion, supported by circumstances sufficiently strong to justify a prudent and cautious person's belief that certain facts are probably true

Example #1) If they saw smoke in his car from the start and smelled weed, that's probable cause.

Example #2) If he refuses with his 4th amendment right, that turns into probable cause?

There is something wrong with example 2, and it needs to be revised that it can't surpass constitutional rights without their proof of probable cause.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:59 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Now that's some funny ****.
open ended statements are funny.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:01 PM
VIP Member

An arbitrary checkpoint, maybe. Do you think you're entitled to drive where you want, when you want, without interference from LEOs?

Can one of you guys PLEASE explain to me why you think driving is a right, and dealing with LEOs infringed upon this right? After you explain your thinking, care to dig up the legal document supporting your idea?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:01 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
People have to also consider that the amendments were written during a time where micro-technology didn't exist. These days anyone can hide anything anywhere and when it comes down to it, these officer's best asset is their intuition.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:07 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
open ended statements are funny.

We have check points.
We have a drug problem.
THat's what was funny.

An arbitrary checkpoint, maybe. Do you think you're entitled to drive where you want, when you want, without interference from LEOs?

Can one of you guys PLEASE explain to me why you think driving is a right, and dealing with LEOs infringed upon this right? After you explain your thinking, care to dig up the legal document supporting your idea?
I do not have a right to drive on a public road; never stated such.
However, I do have a right "to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures", meaning I can travel freely without hinderence by the gov't unless they have probable cause.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:23 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F

maybe you need to read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution
Old 05-15-2009, 12:53 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
If you refuse for 1 hour to answer questions, that is obviously suspicious behavior.
refusing a search != probable cause, according to the supreme court at least.

i think people are forgetting that the constitution and subsequent amendments are not just pieces of paper.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:20 PM
VIP Member

LOL, are you going to try to quote wikipedia? Like I said, show me where you have the right to drive unrestricted?

Looks like I interchanges the terms arrested and detained, I'll correct that once I get to a real computer.

The nice thing about your right to remain silent, is that the only thing you can say (besides nothing) to retain that right, is that you want your lawyer present. Once you start running your mouth about anything else, you've waived your right. That's from a lawyer, not Internet theory

Paul, go ahead and dig up the ACLU's guide to your rights when dealing with LEO's. You'll see that I mixed up arrest and detainment, but you'll also see that you are required to show ID and vehicle registration upon request of the officer.

The 4th Amendment does protect you against searches without a warrant or probable cause (like I said earlier, the supreme court was working to remove your car from the list of areas protected by this).
Old 05-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Can someone lock this thread, or move it somewhere... it's not positive, and nothing productive is coming out of it.

Quick Reply: Sorry to post another "Eff you COPS" thread, but I'm not really sorry at all, pigs.