Sony 46" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV + PS3 + PS3 game + Blu-Ray movie -$951

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 PM

Car Info: 2011 STI Sedan
Originally Posted by blue04WRX
if you guys need any hdmi cables ive got three monster cable hdmi cables ... definately need this cable for the best possible pic.. also the only way to get full 1080p.
How do you figure that? Why not a $10 HDMI 1.3 cable from Monoprice?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by glider
How do you figure that? Why not a $10 HDMI 1.3 cable from Monoprice?
Or from my work @ oppodigital.com:

$6 3ft
$10 6ft

1.3b Cat 2 stock.

There is absolute NO reason to pay so much for digital cables. We've tested our cables against a whole slew of companies, and we found very little bit loss in all of them, they all performed the same. So, no reason to pay so much for cables.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Old School

hey guys, for all of you that got that deal, that is great... damn good deal!! if you guys need any hdmi cables ive got three monster cable hdmi cables that i still have from when i worked at circuit city... anyways i have two, 6ft long cables, and i have 1 like 27ft long hdmi cables, you definately need this cable for the best possible pic.. also the only way to get full 1080p... anyways, ill sell the 6ft ones for $40+shipping and the 27 ft for $65+shipping... they are monster cable so they will not break, and if for some reason they do, then send it back to monster, and they send you a new one.. oh i will also meet half way for anybody wanting to meet up.. thanks...
Man, they brainwash the employees pretty well don't they?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Old School

Also, when it comes to digital signals, most cables will do just fine. Either the signal gets there or it doesn't.

RCA cables, HDMI, optical... ALL are used for digital applications, and all don't need to be hundreds of dollars.

Cable quality definitely matters once the signal is converted to analog. Having quality cables for analog RCA connections, and speaker wire matter. I buy my stuff from monoprice.com, and I highly recommend them for anyone looking for great, cheap cables.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 PM

Car Info: EQ Built/Tuned WRX
LOL ya they do brain wash a little bit haha... im just trying to get rid of these damn cables... cant blame me, when they announced bankruptcy i just went out and hid a bunch of stuff in the building and "bought" them the last day.... and these happened to be some.. ya i know there is comparable stuff all over.. monster isnt the best.. i know all of this.... thanks for the replies..
Old 12-08-2009, 02:08 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I bought a pretty basic cable from best buy for around $15 IIRC, it is 6 feet long and works perfectly. Like Gagan said, you don't need a high end cable for that sort of thing... It's not like speakers or audio equip where you actually benefit from a better cable. I guess you can show it off and brag to your friends since the monster cables look cool.

BTW, I had a friend that worked with me at Adobe a few years back that was a total Audophile... He spent sooooo much money on his stereo equip that it was RIDICULOUS! Just to give you an idea of how expensive his setup was, on cables alone, JUST CABLES, he spent OVER $15,000... On CABLES!!! He has some crazy setup with many speakers around his entire living room, his cables are super thick and he has like 10 miles worth in his house... Even his walls have special material hung on them for optimal sound... They were like GIANT paintings that covered entire walls, only they weren't paintings, they were this weird material that I guess enhanced the sound. I remember he brought his media remote control into work one day to show me... OMG, that thing was sooo insane and overdone. It was this big *** touch screen, probably the size of 2 I-phones put together, taller and wider then an Iphone... It lit up in a selection of colors (you could customize what colors you wanted) and you could also customize the button sizes, and what went to what... Fully customizable. I can't remember how much he paid for that thing but I remember that it was from some company that makes them per order, so he had to wait like 6 months for his. This guy drove a beat up *** CRX and wore the same damn clothes every day, but he had one hell of an audio system!

I don't get Audiophiles... Sure, great sounding stereos and such are really cool, but when I went over to his house to check it out, I wasn't THAT impressed. Sure, it was like being in some high end move theater, but for the price he paid for everything, totally not worth it to me... His entire house shook when he turned it up for a scene in the remastered version of star wars... The scene where the star destroyer is flying by on screen and all you hear is it's rumble... The entire house shook to the tune of a star destroyer... That was really cool but to spend around $200k on your audio equip for home use is just crazy. He thinks Im crazy for spending as much as I do on cars though...

Different strokes for different folks.

One last thing, I asked him about monster cables for when I was upgrading our home theater and he straight up laughed at me and told me that monster cables were pretty much the worst of all "higher end" cables... He said that they were just marketed as good and not really good at all. At that point I gave up and never put the home theater together because of cost.. Screw that.

Last edited by brucelee; 12-08-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by brucelee
I bought a pretty basic cable from best buy for around $15 IIRC, it is 6 feet long and works perfectly. Like Gagan said, you don't need a high end cable for that sort of thing... It's not like speakers or audio equip where you actually benefit from a better cable. I guess you can show it off and brag to your friends since the monster cables look cool.

BTW, I had a friend that worked with me at Adobe a few years back that was a total Audophile... He spent sooooo much money on his stereo equip that it was RIDICULOUS! Just to give you an idea of how expensive his setup was, on cables alone, JUST CABLES, he spent OVER $15,000... On CABLES!!! He has some crazy setup with many speakers around his entire living room, his cables are super thick and he has like 10 miles worth in his house... Even his walls have special material hung on them for optimal sound... They were like GIANT paintings that covered entire walls, only they weren't paintings, they were this weird material that I guess enhanced the sound. I remember he brought his media remote control into work one day to show me... OMG, that thing was sooo insane and overdone. It was this big *** touch screen, probably the size of 2 I-phones put together, taller and wider then an Iphone... It lit up in a selection of colors (you could customize what colors you wanted) and you could also customize the button sizes, and what went to what... Fully customizable. I can't remember how much he paid for that thing but I remember that it was from some company that makes them per order, so he had to wait like 6 months for his. This guy drove a beat up *** CRX and wore the same damn clothes every day, but he had one hell of an audio system!

I don't get Audiophiles... Sure, great sounding stereos and such are really cool, but when I went over to his house to check it out, I wasn't THAT impressed. Sure, it was like being in some high end move theater, but for the price he paid for everything, totally not worth it to me... His entire house shook when he turned it up for a scene in the remastered version of star wars... The scene where the star destroyer is flying by on screen and all you hear is it's rumble... The entire house shook to the tune of a star destroyer... That was really cool but to spend around $200k on your audio equip for home use is just crazy. He thinks Im crazy for spending as much as I do on cars though...

Different strokes for different folks.

One last thing, I asked him about monster cables for when I was upgrading our home theater and he straight up laughed at me and told me that monster cables were pretty much the worst of all "higher end" cables... He said that they were just marketed as good and not really good at all. At that point I gave up and never put the home theater together because of cost.. Screw that.
Most of it is snake oil, but some can hear differences... But yeah, most of it is not real at all.

I buy my cables from monoprice, I try to do the best I can for the money I have to spend. I think with some homework, anyone can have a decent audio system for not a crazy amount of money.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Most of it is snake oil, but some can hear differences... But yeah, most of it is not real at all.

I buy my cables from monoprice, I try to do the best I can for the money I have to spend. I think with some homework, anyone can have a decent audio system for not a crazy amount of money.
jeez, dont even get me started on Monster Cables scam, I thought everyone knew by now

http://hd.engadget.com/2009/03/23/mo...ys-electronic/

hey guys, for all of you that got that deal, that is great... damn good deal!! if you guys need any hdmi cables ive got three monster cable hdmi cables that i still have from when i worked at circuit city... anyways i have two, 6ft long cables, and i have 1 like 27ft long hdmi cables, you definately need this cable for the best possible pic.. also the only way to get full 1080p... anyways, ill sell the 6ft ones for $40+shipping and the 27 ft for $65+shipping... they are monster cable so they will not break, and if for some reason they do, then send it back to monster, and they send you a new one.. oh i will also meet half way for anybody wanting to meet up.. thanks...
OMG did that actually have you guys telling customers you cant get 1080p WITHOUT monster cables???
Jeez Im glad they went out of business

Last edited by Krinkov; 12-08-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:55 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD

a lot of it is snake oil, but some of it does make a difference. i was using a regular computer power cord for my headphone amp before i switch over to this (http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...7604%2010%20B1). a bunch of people were recommending it on the forums, so i gave it a shot. i could definitely hear a difference. i had my friend changed his power cord on his amp over and he heard a difference as well.

this audiophile stuff is nuts. i'll be honest, if i had unlimited funds, i would go all out chasing that last 1%. i don't want to turn this thread into crazy audio parts...

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQ-SK28
http://audiovisionsf.com/ (every time i surf that web page, i have to look at the prices twice to make sure what i'm seeing is correct)
Old 12-08-2009, 01:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
Milpitas i think has TVs still
I ended up buying it at the Dublin one, but I still have to go pick up the TV somewhere lol, because I didn't want to wait a week for the delivery.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by JZ oo7
a lot of it is snake oil, but some of it does make a difference. i was using a regular computer power cord for my headphone amp before i switch over to this (http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...7604%2010%20B1). a bunch of people were recommending it on the forums, so i gave it a shot. i could definitely hear a difference. i had my friend changed his power cord on his amp over and he heard a difference as well.

this audiophile stuff is nuts. i'll be honest, if i had unlimited funds, i would go all out chasing that last 1%. i don't want to turn this thread into crazy audio parts...

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQ-SK28
http://audiovisionsf.com/ (every time i surf that web page, i have to look at the prices twice to make sure what i'm seeing is correct)
I've found some things with power to be helpful, like my Panamax power conditioner. It did not help HD video, but did help SD video, mainly due to clean power to the Satellite box. Most of the improvement was the audio. I could tell that the speakers were slightly sharper and more on point. However, that was a very very crappy home theater in a box, and I have something more substantial now.

I've always wanted to get new power cords for a few components I have, but the only thing I have with an IEC320 power connector like a computer is my BDP-83 Bluray player. And the power cord we supply is pretty good, but I'm actually using one from an older player, and not the one I'm supposed to use. I might just order the one you have linked there, it's really affordable.

In the future when I get new AVR/AMP, then it would be a good idea to buy a few more of those.

But again, that's a $17 power cord that's made well. That's reasonable.

I just don't think these power cords from Nordost are much better:

http://www.audiofederation.com/deale...ost/index2.htm

Like, $330 for a 6 ft power cord?! I mean, just look at the materials... You can find that built from another brand for MUCH less. Or, hell, make it yourself. I'm sure there is a way.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:51 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Or from my work @ oppodigital.com:

$6 3ft
$10 6ft

1.3b Cat 2 stock.

There is absolute NO reason to pay so much for digital cables. We've tested our cables against a whole slew of companies, and we found very little bit loss in all of them, they all performed the same. So, no reason to pay so much for cables.
remind me to buy some cables from you Gagan
Old 12-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Old School

Scratch that, that power cord is $12! man.

Check it out, 14ga wire, shielded. Good stuff. Thanks for the link Jansen.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Old School

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Jansen, looks like Monoprice has you slightly beat. :-) But, whatever, $12 is still great price.

I just looked and for the BDP-83 we bundle a 14ga shielded power cord, but it's 2-wire since our players have floating grounds.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Old School

I don't sell cables, since I'm not a vendor on i-club. But you can buy cables from oppodigital.com

Quick Reply: Sony 46" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV + PS3 + PS3 game + Blu-Ray movie -$951