Sony 46" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV + PS3 + PS3 game + Blu-Ray movie -$951

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:23 AM

Car Info: 96 EK, 03 WRX, 78 323i, 01 S4
I just bought this package from BB. I went with the W-series 46". About two weeks ago I purchased the Samsung 46" LED TV then I saw this sale yesterday. I thought to myself hmmmm, WHAT A DEAL. I traded in the Samsung LED for the bundle and still got 550.00 back.

Thing is technology is moving so fast, that as long as you get a "decent" TV, you'll be happy. Its not like you're marrying the thing. When another good deal comes up in a few years, just buy a replacement.

By the way as of today I bought the last one (w-series) from the San Bruno BB. SF sold out and so did other BB's in the area according to their website. FYI I paid 1226 out the door.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:45 AM

Car Info: Honda with a wing =P
I think the main difference is including 120hz on the TV itself, and which series your getting, and from what I was told, 120hz is debatable and is sort of preference. Where the difference series (V vs S vs W) differs in contrast abilities.

Either way. Tomorrow, I'm coming home with a W series Bravia and a PS3, I'm gonna see if I can bump it up from the 120gb to the 250gb for $49.99 price difference.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Is the TV solid?
Yes, It's not the V like in the add, it's actually a W, which is supposed to be slightly better. Nearly all the sony LCDs are legit. there is a model for everyone, but Id rock even the cheapest S series. The basics of proper video rendition are found in all of them. It just comes down to features.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by mdelosrey
I just bought this package from BB. I went with the W-series 46". About two weeks ago I purchased the Samsung 46" LED TV then I saw this sale yesterday. I thought to myself hmmmm, WHAT A DEAL. I traded in the Samsung LED for the bundle and still got 550.00 back.

Thing is technology is moving so fast, that as long as you get a "decent" TV, you'll be happy. Its not like you're marrying the thing. When another good deal comes up in a few years, just buy a replacement.

By the way as of today I bought the last one (w-series) from the San Bruno BB. SF sold out and so did other BB's in the area according to their website. FYI I paid 1226 out the door.
Very good move!

The samsung LEDs which sell for crazy high prices have dynamic contrast issues, esp if the are side lit. Back lit doesn't suffer as much, but man, those LEDs are expensive. a CFL backlit like this one, and other LCDs are great. We had a 8000 series samsung and I forced my CEO to return it cause that dynamic contrast crap was pumping brighter/dimmer in huge amounts and made calibration and viewing unbearable.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by sammae01
I think the main difference is including 120hz on the TV itself, and which series your getting, and from what I was told, 120hz is debatable and is sort of preference. Where the difference series (V vs S vs W) differs in contrast abilities.

Either way. Tomorrow, I'm coming home with a W series Bravia and a PS3, I'm gonna see if I can bump it up from the 120gb to the 250gb for $49.99 price difference.
Sony has done the faster rates better than others. Just be sure to turn MotionFlow off, as there is no reason to try to compensate for 120/240hz. These will help for fast paced sports like soccer or hockey. But motion flow tries to smoothen the faster rates and makes movies look like video, ie, films look like TV shows. It's not natural and just looks horrible.

Actually, turn all that crap off: Noise Reduction, extra white, filtering, etc. Perhaps keep dynamic black, but it's usually best to turn that off as well.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:02 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by syncopation
You can select a different size Sony TV with this link
Originally Posted by brucelee
Wow, this is an incredible deal if it's actually honored somewhere. Says it starts tomorrow, will best buy honor this? By the sounds of your post, doesn't look like they are honoring it to it's full extent, but is that true?

My parents want to buy a 52" LCD TV, same brand and I want a PS3 for Xmas, so maybe we can buy this deal so my parents can get the TV and I get the PS3 + Game + film, and meet somewhere in the middle for price.

Is there a huge difference between a 46" and a 52" LCD TV? Doesn't seem like the diff would be that huge, especially considering how much more expensive the 52" TV is then the 46", especially with this deal!

I don't suppose you can get this deal and upgrade your TV to a 52" and pay the difference, can you?"
Looks like you were only glancing over the thread and not reading all the posts Daniel.

The post above is the link to the other size tv's being offered with the deal (larger size = higher price obviously).

Like I said in my post, my mom just went to Best Buy and they are already running this deal now to the full extent. The $950 price is for the "V" series which it seems like is sold out at many locations so they have the "W" series which is about $150 more expensive. My mom purchased the "Z" series which is their 240Hz model for $1599.90 (or right around that price).
Old 12-05-2009, 11:27 AM

Car Info: 2005 Forester X
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Receipt from which store? Sears?
haha sorry no I just bought a 46" ps3 bundle from best buy on tuesday. but this new ad says it's about 150 cheaper than what i paid so i hope to change it up and get the lower price.

Originally Posted by mdelosrey

Had to a do an edit. I got the W series. makes sense why it was more expensive.

Last edited by wingless06; 12-05-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:50 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Sony has done the faster rates better than others. Just be sure to turn MotionFlow off, as there is no reason to try to compensate for 120/240hz. These will help for fast paced sports like soccer or hockey. But motion flow tries to smoothen the faster rates and makes movies look like video, ie, films look like TV shows. It's not natural and just looks horrible.

Actually, turn all that crap off: Noise Reduction, extra white, filtering, etc. Perhaps keep dynamic black, but it's usually best to turn that off as well.
Here is a CNET link with their calibrated picture settings recommendations for the KDL-40/42/46/52 W5100 series TVs. If S/V/W series only differentiate themselves in features and contrast ratios, than these settings can be probably applied across all of them? (Gagan feel free to correct me)

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...&tag=mncol;txt

Sony KDL-46W5100 picture settings
by katzmaier ModeratorCNET staff - 9/4/09 8:34 AM

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-33539703.html

Related products:
Sony KDL-40W5100
Sony KDL-52W5100
Sony KDL-65W5100

Below you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Sony KDL-46W5100 in a dark room via the HDMI input with a 1080p, film-based source. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

-- Setup, Picture adjustments menu:
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 1
Picture: 92
Brightness: 52
Color: 46
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm2
Sharpness: Min
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
MotionFlow: Off
CineMotion: Auto 1

Advanced Settings menu:
Black Corrector: Off
Advanced C.E.: Off
Gamma: 1
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off

White Balance menu:
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: -1
B-Gain: -4
R-Bias: -3
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: -1

--- Screen menu
Wide Mode: Full
Auto Wide: Off
4:3 Default: Off [grayed out]
Auto Display Area: Off
Display Area: Full Pixel
Screen Position: [grayed out]
Vertical Size: 0 [grayed out]

--Preferences, Eco menu
Power Saving: Off
Light Senor: Off
Old 12-05-2009, 02:15 PM

Yo theres another place too with 46 that starts at 850 including ps3, check around

fatwallet.com

dell
Old 12-06-2009, 01:53 AM

Car Info: Honda with a wing =P
I got this.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by ruehl
why is there not a frys in the north bay! I love my cola!
qft.
i was so hoping fry's would take over the old compusa building..
Old 12-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Here is a CNET link with their calibrated picture settings recommendations for the KDL-40/42/46/52 W5100 series TVs. If S/V/W series only differentiate themselves in features and contrast ratios, than these settings can be probably applied across all of them? (Gagan feel free to correct me)

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...&tag=mncol;txt
These are better settings than the factory and would be a good start. I can always come over with my Spears and Munsil disc and do custom settings based on light condition and preferences. It's the best thing short of a full on $300 ISF Calibration.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:07 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
So does anyone think there will be deals similar to this or better right before Super Bowl Sunday when tv's go on sale again or will this deal probably be better then what will happen then?
Old 12-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by flukewrx
So does anyone think there will be deals similar to this or better right before Super Bowl Sunday when tv's go on sale again or will this deal probably be better then what will happen then?
I expect deals to get better cause I feel retailers will be hard hit in January so badly. But you have to remember, there is some absolute minimum before they are taking losses. I would not expect this deal to be $300 less than now, but maybe another $150 is possible.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:08 PM

Car Info: 2005 Forester X
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
These are better settings than the factory and would be a good start. I can always come over with my Spears and Munsil disc and do custom settings based on light condition and preferences. It's the best thing short of a full on $300 ISF Calibration.
I live in Santa Rosa; north of union city a couple hours.. you still doing home calibrations? haha. I got a six pack waiting for you. Or PM me what it would take to borrow your disc.

Quick Reply: Sony 46" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV + PS3 + PS3 game + Blu-Ray movie -$951