Something cool: Flip vid cam + Duct tape + STi = THIS

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Impreza TS Wagon
Originally Posted by brucelee
I don't see a need for more memory because 4 gigs is quite a bit for such a small camera. Sure, it would be nice and as tech gets smaller and better, Im sure it will happen, but its def not necessary.
Meh, not to knock the camera, but it really pisses me off when there is no expandable memory, for how cheap and small expandable memory is.

Sure you say 4GB is enough, but it only gives you around 60mins of recording time. I'm sure for less than $20 they could ad an SDHC or microSDHC slot giving you up to 32GB of extra space per card. It's not new technology, and it wouldn't take up much space. The only reason not to do that is really to force people to buy more expensive models in which they've included more internal memory.

Check this out:

microSDHC shown on a dime. No way that thing adds much space. Even the full sized SD cards are pretty small.

I only complain because it annoys me that they don't include something so simple and practical.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 AM
VIP Member

FYI, the company does have its own WEBSITE.

You can see the various products they sell, check out the specs and purchase through them (though their prices aren't the best I've seen). It looks like you can even purchase customized paint jobs for some of the models (either choose a simple graphic, create a simple graphic, or upload a picture).

Also, Walmart sells the Flip. I mention it because they've got a pretty lax return policy (30 days - full refund - on cameras) and the prices are pretty reasonable.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:26 AM

Car Info: '12 TSX 6MT/'01 E39 wagon/'67 VW on E85/'93 M900
I used to ride my XR600R on that road when I lived in Union City. Nice video.

Stan

Last edited by stan_t; 06-18-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:30 AM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Originally Posted by vietnameeh
nah trust me the the go pro system is kind of garbage when it comes to video quality.... the only thing about it is the compact size of the camera and the different mounts that it comes with

http://www.goprocamera.com/video

Really? Quality looks fine to me.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by R-Dub
Go Big Or Go Home.

Go Pro Camera

[IMG]http://www.goprocamera.com/images/products/large/683_large_Motorsports-Hero-Wide-02.jpg[/IG]
i want to hook something like that up to my carputer
Old 06-18-2009, 10:34 AM

Car Info: vtak mota
im saying u can put together higher quality point and shoot with a mount for much cheaper, just saying from expereince... alot of autoxers arent very happy with the go pro

you can compare on youtube.. which isnt a good comparison as it kinda loses its quality on there but my point shoot vids are much smoother compared to the go pro quality where it seems kinda twitchy

and this flipcam thing looks awesome the quality is good and the sound isnt affected by wind...

Last edited by vietnameeh; 06-18-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:54 AM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Originally Posted by Rescuer
i want to hook something like that up to my carputer
Wouldn't be hard - hell, you could even record directly to the HD and view it on the carputer screen.

im saying u can put together higher quality point and shoot with a mount for much cheaper, just saying from expereince... alot of autoxers arent very happy with the go pro
The GoPro is $199.00 and comes with everything here:

You're going to tell me you can MAKE something cheaper and higher quality?

Have fun with that...
Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 PM

Car Info: 2000 brp RS
and this flipcam thing looks awesome the quality is good and the sound isnt affected by wind...
When I run a regular mini DV camera on the front of the car, it is not affected by the wind. However, when the camera is mounted on the side of the car to capture the front tire movement, I get the wind noise.

Here's an example of running the camera in the bumper grill.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:04 PM

Car Info: '07 OBP STI
I personally don't like the fisheye look to the GoPro videos. I'm sure some people do. To each there own.

For those of you looking for a small video camera in this class with expandable memory, check out the Kodak Zi6 HD. Looks like better video definition than the Flip, but the Flip has better contrast IMHO.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:05 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Ddraig
For those of you looking for a small video camera in this class with expandable memory, check out the Kodak Zi6 HD. Looks like better video definition than the Flip, but the Flip has better contrast IMHO.
Speaking of the Kodak, I saw this review on Youtube. There are some earlier, reviews by the same person as well.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:54 PM

Car Info: '07 OBP STI
Awesome find, Avatar-X! Thank you for that. Definitely helps me get off the fence on which one I would like better. The Zi6 isn't so great for motion it seems.

MinoHD looks to have crisper picture quality and way better sound. Very nice on the blacks.

I do really like how much wider the Vado HD picture is, but it comes out pretty soft. Sound seems to echo more with the Vado.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by R-Dub
Wouldn't be hard - hell, you could even record directly to the HD and view it on the carputer screen.

The GoPro is $199.00 and comes with everything here:

You're going to tell me you can MAKE something cheaper and higher quality?

Have fun with that...
The flip cam is cheaper and has high quality sound and video. 8 gigs, 120mins of run time, 2+ hour battery, HD quality, smaller then a small cell phone, all for $188. I'd much rather have the HD flip then that helmet cam if I wanted something I can use for more then just helmet footage.

If I needed a dedicated helmet cam though, I'd prolly get that, for anything else, the flip is the way to go.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by AVATAR-X
Speaking of the Kodak, I saw this review on Youtube. There are some earlier, reviews by the same person as well.
Nice find!

The motion on the Vado is horrible! Very streaky.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:34 PM

i likey

Originally Posted by madlib
When I run a regular mini DV camera on the front of the car, it is not affected by the wind. However, when the camera is mounted on the side of the car to capture the front tire movement, I get the wind noise.

Here's an example of running the camera in the bumper grill.

I like....what is that a HOnda?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:21 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by stylin525
I like....what is that a HOnda?
Psssst... try clicking the video.

Quick Reply: Something cool: Flip vid cam + Duct tape + STi = THIS