Something cool: Flip vid cam + Duct tape + STi = THIS

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:43 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
Originally Posted by brucelee

That road is narrow as hell, you can't really tell exactly how narrow it is because of the camera's perspective since you can't see the car in the film. When you get there you'll realize just how narrow it is.

Notice how I slowed down in the beginning of the video when there were rocks in the road? There's a reason for that... Those rocks are sharp as hell and will give you a flat tire in no time flat! So be careful of those rocks! They are only in the beginning part of the road when there are vertical cliffs... It's from the deer running up the rock face and bringing down loose rocks.
Yeah I saw those rocks Is it any narrower than calaveras hills? That road is ridiculous tight.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by perry753
wow my teacher was giving one of these out last week... too bad I didn't win his little contest!

and upload on youtube! I want to watch the HD version!
It's not like they cost a fortune or anything, just go out and get one!

This is just perfect for someone like me, I've always loved video taping stuff but video cameras were difficult to work with, big, heavy, and you couldn't just transfer stuff to your computer like this... This camera takes away every negative part of video taping and makes it so easy a caveman can do it, and trust me, I had my friend use it which is proof a cave man can do it!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
Thats pretty good quality for a cheap price.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:50 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
dang you drive fast. im hella scared of corners on that road, its so narrow and cant see anything.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pactin
Yeah I saw those rocks Is it any narrower than calaveras hills? That road is ridiculous tight.
Like half as wide. It's more narrow then the narrowest part of Quimby road which leads up to Mt Hamilton. Ask anyone who drives that road, it's narrow as hell, which makes it all that fun! It's super technical which means you'll never be going sooooo fast that you can't fully recover. don't get me wrong, you can make deadly mistakes there, but you're never going as fast as some other less technical roads so it's a bit safer somehow. lol
Old 06-14-2009, 09:53 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
If only it had a zoom feature i would be all over these.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ruehl
If only it had a zoom feature i would be all over these.
It does have zoom... Digital zoom. Pretty decent too, nothing CRAZY, but enough to zoom in pretty nicely. Now you have no excuse.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:57 PM

Car Info: EQ Tuned Wagon ;)
the first vid you showed "on a closed road" haha my best friend lives at the very top and its far from closed!! i have almost taken out cars with my pre runner. i hope your not going that fast up it when i come down it just an fyi my 1.5 DOM bumper will pwn ****
Old 06-14-2009, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by leftcoast_650
the first vid you showed "on a closed road" haha my best friend lives at the very top and its far from closed!! i have almost taken out cars with my pre runner. i hope your not going that fast up it when i come down it just an fyi my 1.5 DOM bumper will pwn ****
No, there was no one on the road and we had people at the ends of the road and in the middle to make sure there was no traffic. I think it looks faster in the video then it actually was in real life, probably due to the camera angle. You can tell that the car is not even going to redline... Mostly shifting at around 4500-5000. You only heard one tire squeel.

Last edited by brucelee; 06-14-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:11 PM

One thing I forgot to say..

You can get really creative with the angles in which you tape... For example, it looks REALLY cool if you put the camera behind one of the front wheels aiming towards the front of the car... You can see the wheel turning/moving as you take turns... its REALLY cool.

I'm looking forward to seeing some footage that you guys take! We should make an official FLIP Thread!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:11 PM

Car Info: EQ Tuned Wagon ;)
okay cool cause i know he and his fam take that road all the time into fremont, but since you had spotters thats cool. i was thinking cause sometimes they block it off for holidays so kids dont go do stupid **** up there like light fireworks or have sex bahaha
Old 06-14-2009, 10:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
love it! gotta have it on my next scoob
Old 06-14-2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by medicSTi
love it! gotta have it on my next scoob
Screw that, put it on your ambulance and drift it!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:34 PM

Car Info: old awd turbo thangy
Thats pretty sweet. However if your just looking for a motorsports cam I think the gopro is a little better option cause its a bit more durable and has mounting. A friend picked one up for $130 off ebay brand new and it works pretty good. Quality isnt as good as the flip but its waterproof and has a suction cup mount that would be real hard pressed to let go. Its also a bit smaller and a wide angle too. Just figured I would throw it out there for you guys.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by ssteve
Thats pretty sweet. However if your just looking for a motorsports cam I think the gopro is a little better option cause its a bit more durable and has mounting. A friend picked one up for $130 off ebay brand new and it works pretty good. Quality isnt as good as the flip but its waterproof and has a suction cup mount that would be real hard pressed to let go. Its also a bit smaller and a wide angle too. Just figured I would throw it out there for you guys.
Yeah, my friend has an older model of that camera, it's def a cool cam, but i chose the flip because I can use it for anything and the quality is AMAZING. From family gatherings to canyon carving, it's all there. Besides, I can't trust those suction cups... I gotta have duct tape as a back up.

Quick Reply: Something cool: Flip vid cam + Duct tape + STi = THIS