Something cool: Flip vid cam + Duct tape + STi = THIS

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Thumbs up Something cool: Flip vid cam + Duct tape + STi = THIS

I finally got around to recording a demo testing out my flip video camera. In case you don't know what a flip cam is, it's a very small (size of a small cell phone) video camera that uses flash memory so there's no moving parts and can record great quality video for up to an hour. It's VERY rugged and very easy to use with only the most basic buttons (play, record, back, forward, power).

In this video, I taped the small camera to my front lic plate using red electrical tape (the wide kind, it's all I had), pushed record, and bam, that's it. The whole setup time took about 30 seconds which was mostly cutting tape with my teeth.

I wasn't driving ***** out, just driving a little rugged to give you an idea of how steady it is. It's PERFECT for auto-x or track days, hell, you can even mount it to a helmet and have an instant helmet cam! The sound and the quality of the film is GREAT! In this video I rendered it in really low quality to be able to broadcast it to you.

I currently have two of these cameras, one is the original model which is the largest of them all, but still very tiny. The second model I have is the nano version which is even smaller and has better quality video. They also now have an HD version which you can get at costco with carry case, charger, etc for $160.

The one used in this footage was $100 with a case. All models are rechargeable. I give this products a 10/10

Here's the exact one I used:

And that's the LARGE one!

Here's the video of my STi on a closed coarse with all safety precautions taken. Do not try this at home!

THE VIDEO IS BELOW THIS SENTENCE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEukn...e=channel_page

Just imagine all the possibilities with this camera! This is a must have for track junkies and auto-x monkeys! Hell, it's good for just about anything. I think they make a water resistant case for it too where you can submerge it up to a certain amount of feet. Screw those big *** traditional HD cameras when you can just spend less then $200 and get this with all the bells and whistles! Flipcam FOR THE MOTHER FATHERING WIN!!!

PS: No, I don't work for them, I'm just really excited to own such a great product. Also, I recorded last year's sans hamilton meet with this camera too. (last year's annual event) Everyone was making fun of me for using a "cell phone" to film. It also comes with a tripod adapter and the HD version comes with a mini tripod. Costco has them right now. They come in all sorts of colors, I have white and black.

PPS: Sorry for how large the video is, but it's a really fast server and it's still good quality even considering that I lowered it drastically.

Last edited by brucelee; 06-14-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:24 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
wow i've seen these videos cameras for sale, but really doubted the quality but after seeing this i'm very impressed. I think i recognize this road, its Vargas right?

Last edited by pwnx0rz; 06-14-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:25 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
first off why is the video so small, second where the hell is that road!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
first off why is the video so small, second where the hell is that road!!!

Sorry, I had to cut down the size of the video since I was hosting it from my server, and its still 55megs! The original was huge.

The quality of these cameras are GREAT, the HD ones are even greater... True HD with no compromise. Trust me, the video I posted is cut down by more then 75% quality!

The road is Morrison Canyon Road in Fremont.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
I got a flip...I got duct tape...this is going to be so cool
Old 06-14-2009, 09:30 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
kind of reminds me of the BMI togue haha

dope video car sounds sick
Old 06-14-2009, 09:31 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by brucelee

Here's the video of my STi on a closed coarse with all safety precautions taken. Do not try this at home!
Originally Posted by brucelee

The road is Morrison Canyon Road in Fremont.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:31 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
I've seen people mount cameras with tripod holders and ones like yours to their front tow hook and it looks very good and doesn't move at all and might work a little better than heavy duty tape but still looks nice n fun.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:33 PM

Oh wow, I didn't notice it until I just played it back, but I love how you can hear the turbo whoooosh! All I have done to my car is a cobb AP with GST tune and a cat back. Otherwise its stock. (Minus seats)
Old 06-14-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Spoolin415
Its a private road and was closed off just for me. Notice no traffic and my friend in the middle of the video standing off to the side?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:34 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
Yeah I've known about these for a while. Doesn't it edit the videos together and put music to it as well?

And dayum that is a nice road. I will have to drive it soon hehe.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by glenspen
I got a flip...I got duct tape...this is going to be so cool
You were the first person I thought of when i thought to make this... I was like "Damn, Glen would LOVE this for auto-x!".

I bet it would look great in an autox course.

This camera is fun as hell... The possibilities are endless with what you can do with it! From being naughty in the bedroom to being evil on the roads, it's all good!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pactin
Yeah I've known about these for a while. Doesn't it edit the videos together and put music to it as well?

And dayum that is a nice road. I will have to drive it soon hehe.
No, it gives what it takes. So for example, when I took that video, I pushed record, then taped, then turned it off. Connected it to my computer, went to "my computer" and clicked on the camera's folder (which is like a mini hard drive), and all the videos you take are sorted in the folder as AVI's.

I edited it to shrink it and make it an mpeg because AVI's are huuuuuge.

That road is narrow as hell, you can't really tell exactly how narrow it is because of the camera's perspective since you can't see the car in the film. When you get there you'll realize just how narrow it is.

Notice how I slowed down in the beginning of the video when there were rocks in the road? There's a reason for that... Those rocks are sharp as hell and will give you a flat tire in no time flat! So be careful of those rocks! They are only in the beginning part of the road when there are vertical cliffs... It's from the deer running up the rock face and bringing down loose rocks.

Glad you guys enjoyed the video and the idea!

Any other questions or anything?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX, 2014 BRZ
wow my teacher was giving one of these out last week... too bad I didn't win his little contest!

and upload on youtube! I want to watch the HD version!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 PM

w00t! Here's the youtube version of the video, a little bigger and faster loading:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEukn...e=channel_page

How do you post a youtube preview window again?

Last edited by brucelee; 06-14-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Something cool: Flip vid cam + Duct tape + STi = THIS