Someone tried to break into my house today!!! (While I was HOME!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:10 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by brucelee
Buckshot is a bad idea... Not only does it over penetrate (30cal projectiles) but it WILL go through your walls as well as your neighbors walls, etc.

If you use a shotty, it's best to use birdshot... If they don't die there on the spot (which they probably will), they'll die on the operating table as 200 soft lead projectiles infect his/her organs.
What do you think about using 5.56mm inside the house. It will probably make you deaf, but I think with 55gr soft point ammo it will fragment inside the bad guy and not overpenetrate.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop
A buddy of mine took down a dude in his garage. Luckily the guy submitted and the cops came and got him. Otherwise he would have had a bullet in his chest cavity (probably two in the chest and one in the head as training dictates for a failure shot).

For all those wondering: You can only shoot to stop. You can only do that when you feel that your life is about to be snuffed by a bad guy. What does that mean? Did you do eveything including retreat (remove yourself from the situation) before you used deadly force? Did the perp have the ability, means, and intent to kill you?
Depend on the state.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by Lurk
What do you think about using 5.56mm inside the house. It will probably make you deaf, but I think with 55gr soft point ammo it will fragment inside the bad guy and not overpenetrate.

WAAAAY too much overpenetration unless you hit someone in the right spot and it hits like a brick after exiting the body.

I can't remember the name of the website... Like www.theboxoftruth.com shows you all the ballistics of most bullets VIA pictures.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:46 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by RedStage
\
"Here lives the only man that Chuck Norris fears!"

That is a great idea
Old 10-10-2006, 11:58 PM

Car Info: White 2000 2.5RS-Turbo
Rock salt is always an effective "Non-Lethal" substitute

Glad you're ok dude. Sad day when someone must fall to petty theft. *shakes head*
Old 10-11-2006, 12:09 AM

Car Info: A crazy ass wagon ! Voltex and 18x9.5 +22 FTW !
Hey so bruce, everyones asking advice here. . . let me chime in right quick. So i have the Remington 870 mounted behind the dresser right next to me, with two rounds of bird/target sittin in the top drawer of the dresser. No kids in the house and the girlfriend is trained with the gun . . . so my question is this. .. is leavin the shotty loaded bad for it? will a round sittin in the chamber cause any negative affects besides that of a loaded gun in the house. Chime in here help me out!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by Shagon Wagon
Hey so bruce, everyones asking advice here. . . let me chime in right quick. So i have the Remington 870 mounted behind the dresser right next to me, with two rounds of bird/target sittin in the top drawer of the dresser. No kids in the house and the girlfriend is trained with the gun . . . so my question is this. .. is leavin the shotty loaded bad for it? will a round sittin in the chamber cause any negative affects besides that of a loaded gun in the house. Chime in here help me out!
I know you asked for BL, but I asked a similar question a while back on a gun board and got some pretty good answers. What I was told is that there is no problem leaving rounds in the shotgun for extended periods of time as long as the shells are made of plastic. Most shells are made of plastic now anyway, but I guess there is a tendancy for the paper/cardboard shells to take in moisture from the environment and over time they will change size and shape, making them less than reliable.

Others will say to take the shells out of the magazine every so often to allow the magazine's spring to 'relax.' I personally think that this isn't necessary given modern metallurgy. But it is easy to do, and if it makes you feel better, more power to you.

I like to take my guns, no matter how litte they've been used, every month or so and clean them and re-lube them just for the hell of it. If you cycle the 5-8 rounds out, or whatever your 870 is set up to accept at the moment, with fresher ones at this same interval I think you'll never have any worries.

-Chris

Last edited by bassplayrr; 10-11-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:28 PM

Car Info: A crazy ass wagon ! Voltex and 18x9.5 +22 FTW !
Thanks bass ! thats exactly what i was looking for. I've heard the same thing actually, i just wanted to get another opinion before i did something potentially harmful to the weapon. i appreciate the responce !