SOA is really cracking down

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 12:29 PM
Underpants Gnome

Car Info: 1.4 Ford Fiesta
Originally posted by Steppin Razor
correct me if i am wrong here: can't any service shop refuse to work on a car that has a modified smog systems, ie removal of catalytic converters? i know they can, and in fact are SUPPOSED to, refuse to work on cars that are unsafe or illegal to operate unless they are fixing the problem at hand.
That is the fact. I went in to talk to Bruce a few months ago and he is being watched very closely by SOA, which is why he is being more carefull. He tried to convince me not to do any power mods, just suspenion stuff.

The best example he gave me was this; If you come into the dealership for transmission work to be done, they will refuse the warranty if you have a catless uppipe/downpipe because they have to remove these to get to your tranny. They are not allowed to even handle parts that do not meet smog laws. That's exactly what Bruce said.

James
Old 04-03-2003, 08:48 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Originally posted by British Banger
The best example he gave me was this; If you come into the dealership for transmission work to be done, they will refuse the warranty if you have a catless uppipe/downpipe because they have to remove these to get to your tranny. They are not allowed to even handle parts that do not meet smog laws. That's exactly what Bruce said.

James
That's what I meant.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)
Bring it to www.gb-motorsports.com next time around.

If you deviate from OEM it is always a questionable. Thus I opened a shop so I wont have to deal with warranties on engine/smog related stuff.

cheers

gino

oh and I have 2 or 3 o2 sensors lying around.. next time call or email man. we are nice here...
Old 04-03-2003, 11:06 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally posted by ginowrx

oh and I have 2 or 3 o2 sensors lying around.. next time call or email man. we are nice here...
They are cannibals there too!!
Old 04-04-2003, 08:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)
Who ya calling canibals? eeerrrr aaahhhh ! we have not eaten "Thugly" to date.(mikes dog) ..hehehe..

cheers

gino

www.gb-motorsports.com
www.mpjperformance.com
Old 04-04-2003, 09:05 AM

hey thanks for the offer, i'll remember to keep you guys in mind.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Man, an intelligent argument that was constantly on the verge of being taken to high levels of stupidity... and I wasn't part of it?!?!?!

I actually read the whole thread. All of you guys make great points. So much so that all I could do is wish that the world was a totally different place when it comes to cars and hopping them up The older I get the more tired I become of living on the fine line between fun and illegal. I'm too old for this crap. My breakin'-da-law days are long over. But to have fun with my most favorite hobby the price I pay is that I get paired up with people who really do have no regard for the law. (A la fanker's problem)

I've thought of a million ideas about how to escape walking this line... like maybe I could start a petition to make some legislation whereby if you pay extra registration fees that go to some EPA-ish fund, you get to have a more lenient emmissions test. Or you get to waive the visual inspection if you can pass sniff tests. Etc., etc. I'm sure many of us have thought us such things.

I'm not whining. I'm just lamenting. It makes me sad that I can't be a mature adult, that my most fun thing has to include breaking the law. I know lotsa younger folks on here will be like "Dude you are some old, stodgey fart". But you know, when you start getting out of your 20s, you get less sympathy for getting into trouble and the more you get into trouble whether it be at work, at home or with the law, the consequences become more swift and more harsh. Even though, its not the cause-and-effect that gets me down. It's just that I always have to have this crap hanging over my head. The fear of getting pulled over. The fear of my car getting impounded. The fear of it breaking down with no help from the manufacturer. The fear of losing a lot of time and money put into the car. All to enjoy a fun and pretty stinkin' safe hobby.

jason
Old 04-04-2003, 08:54 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by mmboost
I've thought of a million ideas about how to escape walking this line... like maybe I could start a petition to make some legislation whereby if you pay extra registration fees that go to some EPA-ish fund, you get to have a more lenient emmissions test. Or you get to waive the visual inspection if you can pass sniff tests. Etc., etc. I'm sure many of us have thought us such things.
SEMA, the Specialty Equipment Market Association. I think they are the organization that helped pass legislation that gave Exemption Order numbers to parts like CAI and ignition systems that are street legal in all 50 states. Also, they worked out recent legislation about noise level of street exhaust systems with instrumented tests rather than the citing officer merely telling the car owner to "floor it".

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 04-05-2003, 06:40 PM
VIP Member

SEMA does help some, but not enough. They know that people will buy the parts either way. If SEMA members still make money off of on-road cars having off-road parts bought by owners who don't care about the law and the California DMV and cities are still making $ from your tickets and the cops can still get away with harassing you at your own expense... who cares?

Well, who cares besides us

jason
Old 04-05-2003, 07:14 PM
@Stoptech

SEMA does help some, but not enough. They know that people will buy the parts either way. If SEMA members still make money off of on-road cars having off-road parts bought by owners who don't care about the law and the California DMV and cities are still making $ from your tickets and the cops can still get away with harassing you at your own expense... who cares?

Well, who cares besides us

jason
Well, actually "us" should be a pretty focking powerful force seeing as how we live in a democracy. I just think "car people" these days are too young and too stupid to care about doing something to make out hobby more accepted. Think about all the kids driving around in illegally modded Hondas. Do you think they would rather spend some time trying to get laws passed or take the chance of getting pulled over? Hmmm, let me think.

And, FYI, I doubt it's all that different here. I doubt there's anyone here that is interested enough in making real changes to do anything. After all, it would take a hell of a lot of man hours and that's something a lot of people don't have to spare. On the other hand treehugging jobless hippy ******* have all the time in the world to cry to the government about how we are destroying "their" planet.

And that brings me to a different point. Do you realize how soon internal combustion engines are going to be phased out? It's focking scary. We will be hopping up electric golf carts in ten years. Gawd, I think I'm gonna go kill myself.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:07 PM
VIP Member

We're too small of a minority. And to make a law you have to convince a law maker to submit a bill. What we have so far in our favor is (not totally but) all but pure luck. Kids or not, we're not a large enough lobby. We don't really live in a democracy where the People make the laws and elect leaders. Its perhaps the closest thing to it ever in recorded human history. So, when you, Tim, go walk into the State Assembly w/o getting arrested and laughed at and get a bill even considered..etc..etc

Its not impossible. I mean, it only takes a few deaths in San Francisco to get a stop sign

jason
Old 04-06-2003, 04:30 PM

Car Info: 2001RSTI
Dont know if this helps but my K&N filter box states that theres a bill passed (someone vs. someone) saying that if a car manufacturer does not provide ari filters free of charge then the use of an aftermarket filter will not void any warrenty. Id research further but its a good excuse that I've applied to a few situations.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:34 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by JamesGRrallye
Dont know if this helps but my K&N filter box states that theres a bill passed (someone vs. someone) saying that if a car manufacturer does not provide ari filters free of charge then the use of an aftermarket filter will not void any warrenty. Id research further but its a good excuse that I've applied to a few situations.
This is true for all routine maintenance items. Filters, fluids, brake pads, etc. all can be replaced with the brand of your choosing and it won't affect your warranty, unless as James said, the manufacturer is offering free replacements. For example, since Mercedes is offering free maintenance for a while on their new cars, they'd be within their legal rights do deny you a warranty claim based on different fluids, or not getting your service doen.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:39 PM
@Stoptech

We're too small of a minority. And to make a law you have to convince a law maker to submit a bill. What we have so far in our favor is (not totally but) all but pure luck. Kids or not, we're not a large enough lobby. We don't really live in a democracy where the People make the laws and elect leaders. Its perhaps the closest thing to it ever in recorded human history. So, when you, Tim, go walk into the State Assembly w/o getting arrested and laughed at and get a bill even considered..etc..etc

Its not impossible. I mean, it only takes a few deaths in San Francisco to get a stop sign

jason
So you mean all I have to do is start killing people in the name of laxer modding laws and they'll do what I want? Shoot, my brother's sitting right here, hold on... hahahaha

Quick Reply: SOA is really cracking down