So my sniper project took a turn...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
So my sniper project took a turn...

Alright, well I wanted a rifle that would be accurate up to 400-ish yards but I didnt wanna lug around a big expensive rifle. This is light weight, has a built in bi-pod, folds in half... and has a very high magnification scope (3-12x50).

The rifle is an Keltec SU-16B. Its a nice rifle but you really need to keep it clean if you wanna do rapid fire crazyness. For target shooting its a great riflle.

The whole package (including scope) can be had for under $600... Keep in mind the scope is over $200... so you can go way cheaper but you get what you pay for with a scope.

Here are the pics.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
damn thats a pretty badass setup you got there brucy

i just got my baby handed over today btw
Name:  DSC02821.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  36.7 KB
i cannt wait to shoot some targets tomorrow

.45 y0
Old 11-05-2005, 09:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Nice Kel-Tec brucelee! I have one very similar. I bought an SU-16CA about a month ago and love it. I just put another 100+ rounds through it today. Best grand or so that I've spent. What scope do you have on there? How well does it hold zero once you've taken it off to clean the bolt? What ammo are you planning on using?

So far the best groups I've gotten out of mine were 2-3" with a 2x scope. With the non-magnified red dot I have on it now, along with the linear compensator, I've been getting 3-1/2" or so groups at 100 yards. Supposedly with a good linear compensator/muzzle brake these things are good for 1.5" groups at 100 yards with a decent scope. Since I'm setting mine up as a tactical rifle with quick target aquisition in mind (hence the red dot) I'm ditching the bipod and have a compact forend and M-3 gun light coming to me in the mail.

Here's mine with a red dot and Bushmaster Izzy muzzle brake:

-Chris
Attached Thumbnails So my sniper project took a turn...-pb050040.jpg   So my sniper project took a turn...-pb050041.jpg   So my sniper project took a turn...-compactforend.jpg  

Last edited by bassplayrr; 11-05-2005 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:59 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by zumnwrx

.45 y0

Very nice HK by the way Edgar. Hey man, have you seen the new FN 5.7? Me wants! It shoots a 5.7mm bullet (from the FN P90) at over 2100 fps. I think it's going to be my next gun, as soon as funds allow.

-Chris
Attached Thumbnails So my sniper project took a turn...-57b.jpg  

Last edited by bassplayrr; 11-05-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:45 PM
VIP Member

you beter hurry that bad boy is powerful... so powerfull i wouldnt be suprised to see it illegal to own in cali soon
Old 11-05-2005, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Nice Kel-Tec brucelee! I have one very similar. I bought an SU-16CA about a month ago and love it. I just put another 100+ rounds through it today. Best grand or so that I've spent. What scope do you have on there? How well does it hold zero once you've taken it off to clean the bolt? What ammo are you planning on using?

So far the best groups I've gotten out of mine were 2-3" with a 2x scope. With the non-magnified red dot I have on it now, along with the linear compensator, I've been getting 3-1/2" or so groups at 100 yards. Supposedly with a good linear compensator/muzzle brake these things are good for 1.5" groups at 100 yards with a decent scope. Since I'm setting mine up as a tactical rifle with quick target aquisition in mind (hence the red dot) I'm ditching the bipod and have a compact forend and M-3 gun light coming to me in the mail.

Here's mine with a red dot and Bushmaster Izzy muzzle brake:

-Chris

Thanks... Ive had the SU-16B for about a year or more. It shoots well when its clean... also, make sure you use good magazines otherwise it has feeding problems. I tried using old m-16 mags and had major issues. My newer M-16 mags dont have much of an issue because the spring has enough tension. (My AR-15 shoots both old and new mags without a problem). My groupings are pretty good with the iron sights... I havent used the scope yet, but I hear great things about it.

I use my AR-15 for the purpose that use your SU16. I was gonna get the M1A all scoped out etc, but like I said, I wanted a small portable rifle that can shoot stuff from really far away. ;0)

PS: The FN 5.7 is a nice *** pistol but the ammo is sooooooo expensive that hardly anyone has one.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:29 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by brucelee
PS: The FN 5.7 is a nice *** pistol but the ammo is sooooooo expensive that hardly anyone has one.

Yeah, that's what I hear from a lot of the guys over at calguns.net. The problem is that if I wait untill that ammo is more popular (if that ever happens) and cheaper, the gun probably be outlawed in Cali. I think I'll buy one more or less as a safe queen, shoot it occasionally and hope the price in ammo comes down. I'll just have to pick up a ubiquitous glock for reliable practice/home defense use. So many guns, so little money. Why'd I have to start yet another costly hobbie. I blame all of the enticing gun threads you've posted over the three years I've been reading i-club.

-Chris

Last edited by bassplayrr; 11-05-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:35 PM
VIP Member

you beter hurry that bad boy is powerful... so powerfull i wouldnt be suprised to see it illegal to own in cali soon

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Speaking of powerful, the rangemaster at Pleasanton/Livermore Rod & Gun let my buddy and I shoot his S&W 500 revolver today. The beast shoots a 440gr .50 magnum. I neerly shat my pants from the recoil.

-Chris
Old 11-05-2005, 11:45 PM

btw Chris, you paid a grand for your SU-16!? Dude, I got mine brand new for less than $500.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:48 PM
VIP Member

btw Chris, you paid a grand for your SU-16!? Dude, I got mine brand new for less than $500.

No, sorry, that was misleading. The SU-16CA was $600 (which is the going rate for SU-16CAs in general). I get the grand by adding in the DROS, tax, 1000 rounds of XM193 I bought, the sight, the muzzle brake, a few extra bushmaster magazines, and the forend grip. All together, about a grand. When shopping for guns I like to include the TOTAL cost of everything I know I need/want to buy with it. Helps me to figure out exactly what I need to set aside.

-Chris
Old 11-06-2005, 01:10 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
brucelee...those magazines dont look like theyre under 10 round capacity
Old 11-06-2005, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by maddhatteroo7
brucelee...those magazines dont look like theyre under 10 round capacity

Yeah, thats cuz they arent... hehe... They belong to my AR-15, which is pre-ban... and I have an ***-ton of mags. One of the reasons I bought the SU was because it takes M16 magazines.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:39 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top

.45 y0
Sweet. How much you end up getting that USPc .45 for?
Old 11-06-2005, 08:58 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
Yeah, thats cuz they arent... hehe... They belong to my AR-15, which is pre-ban... and I have an ***-ton of mags. One of the reasons I bought the SU was because it takes M16 magazines.
ahhh i learn something everyday didnt know you could still have a magazine that held more than 10 rounds in CA that was pre-ban...wasnt the ban in 02 or something? i just remember bits and piecess since i did a gun law research paper a while back
Old 11-06-2005, 09:57 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Lurk
Sweet. How much you end up getting that USPc .45 for?
i ended up getting it for 600 BUCKS hahaha i got super lucky...

some dude in ny was selling it cause he never got around to using it, only thing is it was missing the manual and the original lock but the gun is sound.

Quick Reply: So my sniper project took a turn...