So I'm in the market for a netbook...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
i can say first hand the HP 1000 is one of the best netbooks ive used.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218028867515

but you should also check out the new asus eeepc 1000ha it has one of the best keyboards available for netbooks.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...gtCjCVRqCjCVRq
Old 03-07-2009, 10:41 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
hp is ****. hardware will fail on you once the warranty is over. its happened several time.
This is true, my old roommate had his motherboard fail on him 6 months ago. Was fixed under warranty but now it has failed again and they want $500 to fix it. The laptop is maybe a year and a half old. HP =
Old 03-08-2009, 12:22 AM
VIP Member

that's funny because if you look at the stats HP has one of the lowest failure rates of all the major manufactures. Acer is one of the worst.

Just because "you" or your "friend" had a bad experience with a brand doesn't make the brand suck.

But I still recommend buying an extended warranty depending on who it is through.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:25 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by x002x
msi ftw. 6cell battery. haha.
The new Asus 1000he gets 9.5 hours of battery life depending on how you are using it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SUS-_-34220369

best bang for the buck out there.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:48 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by evsoul
that's funny because if you look at the stats HP has one of the lowest failure rates of all the major manufactures. Acer is one of the worst.

Just because "you" or your "friend" had a bad experience with a brand doesn't make the brand suck.

But I still recommend buying an extended warranty depending on who it is through.
hps are for ppl who do low end work or know how to maintain their comps. i got one because im pretty tech savy my self, but replacing the gfx card that was intergrated into the mobo was nothing that i was able to do in my own hands.

lol but yea, if you do buy those products, make sure to get an extended warranty, conspiracy theory companies time their products to bail out after warranty!! its their evil scheemeee
Old 03-08-2009, 12:53 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
i got an hp =O
Old 03-08-2009, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
hp is ****. hardware will fail on you once the warranty is over. its happened several time. asus with celeron = bad news. my experience with the celeron processor is really bad, its one of the low end cpus. id stay away from it if i were you. the MSI and Acer are about head to head. over anything though, id personally go with the lenovo. theres a lot of rep behind the name and i've used their systems and really like the design and simplicity. if i had only remembered about IBM and Lenova b4 i bought my stupid hp for college....
I think you'd be hard pressed to make a quality case of the hp vs. acer. and have anything positive to say about the acer over the hp.
I was all for the acer but it just feels like a piece of trash relative to the hp. Im not hating same processor prob pretty similar performance........I think all these netbooks are so close in construction pick your screen your harddrive and thats it.

buy the dell for uber cheapz.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:32 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
I think you'd be hard pressed to make a quality case of the hp vs. acer. and have anything positive to say about the acer over the hp.
I was all for the acer but it just feels like a piece of trash relative to the hp. Im not hating same processor prob pretty similar performance........I think all these netbooks are so close in construction pick your screen your harddrive and thats it.

buy the dell for uber cheapz.
yea dell is cheap...... but they really suck lol. and hp does look nice and have these cool touch sensitive functions.....but meh it doesnt really make quality better.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:12 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
samsung nc10 ftw. roommate has one and its great for the price $469
Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Originally Posted by chinoyboi
So I'm currently looking into getting a netbook. I saw a few of them at Fry's yesterday and wanted to get your guy's opinion on the good ones out there

I'm looking to spend less than $500. Not looking for top of the line netbook, just something to surf the web, chat, watch movies and listen to music.

Any recommendations is welcome

Here's what I'm looking at:

Acer Aspire One
http://shop4.frys.com/product/572074...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Asus Eee

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218018141752

HP Mini netbook
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218028867515

MSI wind netbook
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218058779760

Lenovo S10
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GNBD8I
I actually recently purchased one and did a month of background searching. I ended up with an MSI Wind... and with the rest of the stuff I do, I just got software online and installed it and it was pretty much everything I wanted from a netbook.

The other one I'd get next would be the Samsung NC10, the rest of the netbooks you're looking at are just plain garbage, dont waste your money. If you want a reliable, cheap and affective notebook....

MSI Wind or the Samsung NC10!
Old 03-08-2009, 11:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
i vote for either the asus or the s10
Old 03-08-2009, 01:49 PM
VIP Member

I am not sure if my friend had the Lenovo s10 or not (he had a lenovo netbook not sure if it was that exact model, sounds right though) anyway he ended up selling it and buying the HP mini 1000 and is in love with it.

Although keep in mind when you see a netbook costing less than $500 and it has a bigger sized solid state hard drive (SSD) 32-64gb, you know it's an older chipset used on that drive because the new chipsets which are incredibly fast are serious money and you won't get a laptop for under 500 dollars with one in it. Unless a company is trying to go out of business that is. So just because you see "solid state drive" don't think "oh man it's gonna be uber fast0rz!"
Old 03-08-2009, 03:49 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by subie OCD
I don't really see the point of these things - why not get a 12" or 13" laptop? It would be much more functional.
I just need something portable that's lighter than a regular laptop. And I don't need all the functions of a laptop... Just surfing and chatting and media
Old 03-08-2009, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by iLoqin
I actually recently purchased one and did a month of background searching. I ended up with an MSI Wind... and with the rest of the stuff I do, I just got software online and installed it and it was pretty much everything I wanted from a netbook.

The other one I'd get next would be the Samsung NC10, the rest of the netbooks you're looking at are just plain garbage, dont waste your money. If you want a reliable, cheap and affective notebook....

MSI Wind or the Samsung NC10!
My coworker has an MSI wind and it's pretty nice, read a lot of good reviews on it
Old 03-08-2009, 04:20 PM

I like the hp screen the 10.1 inch fits in same size machine as the 8.9 inch! I think my hp mini is built pretty damn well. Especially for entertainment system HP has been making good stuff for a couple years. They are all so damn similar screen/harddrive/keyboard thats your different choices. Lenovo is obviously the best keyboard.

Quick Reply: So I'm in the market for a netbook...