So I'm going to New York tomorrow and I need ideas on what to do

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:56 AM

Car Info: '08 SpecB
Katz's deli - Pastrami sandwich
Naples 45 in the MetLife building on the backside of Grand Central Station for pizza. After 2pm, pizza by the slice is under $3. Quattro Formaggio and their mushroom pizza are *** kicking. So is their pepperoni slice.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:57 AM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
get out and party. I like Chelsea, the village and Union Square areas...
Old 11-11-2009, 10:57 AM

Car Info: '08 SpecB
Gray's papaya hot dogs. Their "recession special" is 2 dogs and a soda for like $4-6?
I had no trouble putting down 3 dogs, as they are small.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 AM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by herrjr
What borough did you grow up in? I beg to differ regarding the park.
Wollman Rink should be open by now.

Also, they opened (whole) Statue to public access lately, although you only can go if you win the lotto for it lol.
Born in Brooklyn, raised on SI.

I was never big on CP, its cool if you have time to explore, but on a time frame it may be disappointing. It is really nice in the winter though.

With a lottery system they just should have kept it closed. I'm glad I got to see and do the things I did. I won't be able to share that with my kids through anything other than stories.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:35 AM

If you really want a Junior's Cheesecake, you can order it online and have it shipped to you. The gf is from NY/NJ, and when she gets a hankering for Juniors, we just have it shipped over. It's pricey, but it's not like you're getting one once a week (I hope). I was just in NY last week, and was disappointed I didn't get to see the USS New York. I believe it'll be in NY until the 12th so you may be able to catch it in time. Basically, it's a ship built out of the steel from the World Trade Center - pretty cool.
________
Pain management advice

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:04 PM

Car Info: The 4 Train
What airline does your gf work for? My best friend works for Virgin OMG MAYBE THEY KNOW EACH OTHER?!?!

My aunt sent me this link for finding good, cheap food in NY: http://midtownlunch.com/
Also, if you have an iphone you should download the Urban Daddy app... it's neat and will help you find good food.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:08 PM

Car Info: SGM 135i
hell ya, grimaldi's is on time's top 10. i LOVE that place, if you want some ny style pizza, go there for sure.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
Originally Posted by danielliez
What airline does your gf work for? My best friend works for Virgin OMG MAYBE THEY KNOW EACH OTHER?!?!

My aunt sent me this link for finding good, cheap food in NY: http://midtownlunch.com/
Also, if you have an iphone you should download the Urban Daddy app... it's neat and will help you find good food.
She works for delta. I don't have an Iphone but I have a G1, maybe that app is out for my phone?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
Born in Brooklyn, raised on SI.

I was never big on CP, its cool if you have time to explore, but on a time frame it may be disappointing. It is really nice in the winter though.

With a lottery system they just should have kept it closed. I'm glad I got to see and do the things I did. I won't be able to share that with my kids through anything other than stories.
Yeah, CP only makes sense if you live nearby. Otherwise, it's too far of a trek. Did you directly move from SI to SF then?

The sharing park sucks - one of my big regrets is not having had the chance to see and go into the Twin Towers. I really wanted to eat at Windows on the World.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
Originally Posted by kyoung05
If you really want a Junior's Cheesecake, you can order it online and have it shipped to you. The gf is from NY/NJ, and when she gets a hankering for Juniors, we just have it shipped over. It's pricey, but it's not like you're getting one once a week (I hope). I was just in NY last week, and was disappointed I didn't get to see the USS New York. I believe it'll be in NY until the 12th so you may be able to catch it in time. Basically, it's a ship built out of the steel from the World Trade Center - pretty cool.
I'm disappointed that I didn't get a chance to see the ship too; I was planning on having to be in NYC at the time, but the plans were forcibly changed on me by the Phillies.

I agree with getting good cakes shipped. Any real place will ship their food nowadays, which is the only way that I would get real Sacher Torte in this economy lol.

Forgot to add that if you love Snapple, NY is the only place that I've seen with the Orangeade flavor - it's dericious lol.

Last edited by herrjr; 11-11-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by herrjr
Yeah, CP only makes sense if you live nearby. Otherwise, it's too far of a trek. Did you directly move from SI to SF then?

The sharing park sucks - one of my big regrets is not having had the chance to see and go into the Twin Towers. I really wanted to eat at Windows on the World.
Yeah, I was going to school in Brooklyn, needed a change of pace and came out here to finish school. Now I can't wait to leave, haha.

I got to do all of that, was in the crown of the SoL, went on a whim to the top of the WTC one day when we decided to cut class in HS. That was the best idea ever as I don't think I ever would have went in there under any other circumstance.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:16 PM

Car Info: The 4 Train
Originally Posted by code3suby
She works for delta. I don't have an Iphone but I have a G1, maybe that app is out for my phone?
Oh My friend works for Virgin.

It might be out for G1, I tried to get it on my Pre but I don't think they have it. It's a really fun way to pick a place to eat... if they don't have it for the G1 you should track down someone with an iphone, make them download it, and play with it for your amusement. Seriously, you will el oh el.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:28 PM

Car Info: a rental car and then a scooter
Originally Posted by Spoolin415

Statue of Liberty is cool, but they don't let you past the base since 9/11.

sorry but that is incorrect. I was there for a week in August. The top has been reopened since 4th of July. You have to book it online but the waiting line is long. But maybe this time of year.

Also the real little Italy, believe it or not, it is now in the Bronx, and it's only a few blocks. The Chinese are taking over Little Italy, so a bunch of WOPs have been moving out.

You can also take the staten island ferry there and back which is free.

central park is skippable, IMO. battery park and walking on the board-walk is very romantic at dusk and safe.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by baco
sorry but that is incorrect. I was there for a week in August. The top has been reopened since 4th of July. You have to book it online but the waiting line is long. But maybe this time of year.
They let you to the crown now? Didn't know that, thats cool though. The view is awesome.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:40 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Go to hell's kitchen to find a good Italian place (there are more than you can count, and not just Italian, but restaurants period). Also, if you love Japanese food, and want the good stuff, find a place called Ise. Here is where it is in Manhattan. The place has my favorite Gyoza in the states, and imo, the best spicy pork miso ramen. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...000003,,0,5.55

Quick Reply: So I'm going to New York tomorrow and I need ideas on what to do