So apparently there are No Turn on Red Cameras now

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:59 AM

So apparently there are No Turn on Red Cameras now

Was at the SSF Costco near Colma on El Camino Real going home. As I'm on the left lane turning left (protected left turn) from El Camino Real onto Hickey Blvd with the other cars, I see a flash from newly installed cameras meant solely to catch people making a right turn during a red light from Hickey Blvd onto El Camino Real

The 2 cameras (one each for the 2 right turn lanes) are positioned behind the light about 15-20 feet away (it's on the sidewalk right across from Jack in the Box). It was snapping off pics for everyone making a right turn on a red.

The thing is, NOWHERE does it say or have any signs saying "No Turn On Red" nor does it have a protected red arrow at the stoplight. The only sign present was "Red Light Violation Minimum Fine $348"

When I was heading towards Costco, I made a right turn on the red light (but was stopped completely for about 3 seconds checking for traffic) and I don't know if the camera took a picture or not.

My question is, is this even legal? Nowhere does it say there's a camera there, not to mention it's only snapping pics from behind the car, meaning no facial pictures were taken of the person driving the car.

Anybody who lives or goes to that Costco, check out the cameras.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Because Family Car

Car Info: car
There is an intersection locally that also snaps pics of people when making a right. However, I watched and it was snapping pics of people that were not stop behind the crosswalk prior to making the turn..maybe that's the case?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:06 PM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Yeah I got snapped at the Millbrae BART station making my right turn into it.

If I get a ticket in the mail - bet your *** I'm going to fight that tooth and nail.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:07 PM

Car Info: 91 legacy, 87 mr2, 17 forester xt
all these cameras makes me want to get that blocker spray...wonder if that works....
Old 07-21-2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by jdmdaddy
There is an intersection locally that also snaps pics of people when making a right. However, I watched and it was snapping pics of people that were not stop behind the crosswalk prior to making the turn..maybe that's the case?
dunno, like I said, I only found out about the camera when I was in the opposite direction and saw a flash.

but I'm just curious, since the cameras are positioned behind the car, and doesn't take a picture of the driver's face, will it be easy to dismiss the ticket?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:09 PM

Mythbusters busted all those sprays/covers.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Sounds like the cameras have a bug to fix. Nothing to get too worked up about

Also, just because the flash gets you, doesn't mean the camera did. I ran a red by accident in SF and saw the flash, but it turns out the cameras were only for the opposite direction of travel, so I never got a ticket. Could someone have run a red in the other direction at the exact moment that I did? Possible, but not statistically likely.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
dunno, like I said, I only found out about the camera when I was in the opposite direction and saw a flash.

but I'm just curious, since the cameras are positioned behind the car, and doesn't take a picture of the driver's face, will it be easy to dismiss the ticket?
There are cameras on both sides.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 PM

http://www.yelp.com/topic/millbrae-r...-on-right-turn
Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Sounds like the cameras have a bug to fix. Nothing to get too worked up about

Also, just because the flash gets you, doesn't mean the camera did. I ran a red by accident in SF and saw the flash, but it turns out the cameras were only for the opposite direction of travel, so I never got a ticket. Could someone have run a red in the other direction at the exact moment that I did? Possible, but not statistically likely.
No I was on the opposite side (returning in the same direction) and when I saw the flash, it wasn't for me, it was for a car turning right.

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
There are cameras on both sides.
these 2 cameras only snapped pics from the back. There were no cameras installed on the front.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:27 PM
banned

Car Info: Honda RVT RC51
Now you're gonna have to change your name to NoTurnWRX.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:27 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
I live right there and those cameras were put in about a month ago; crews had right lane blocked off for a bit mounting those cameras, so I realized that way before they became operational. However, I am still not sure how they work since I see plenty of roll through turns with no camera flashes (especially when I come from work at night).

Right now I REFUSE to turn right on anything but couple seconds after a green light (yes, I am that jackass) because I do not need to contribute any more time or money to this state.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by LxJLthr
I live right there and those cameras were put in about a month ago; crews had right lane blocked off for a bit mounting those cameras, so I realized that way before they became operational. However, I am still not sure how they work since I see plenty of roll through turns with no camera flashes (especially when I come from work at night).

Right now I REFUSE to turn right on anything but couple seconds after a green light (yes, I am that jackass) because I do not need to contribute any more time or money to this state.
did u see any cameras on the front? next to the light or next to the trailer park area?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by c32c7
Now you're gonna have to change your name to NoTurnWRX.
lol
Old 07-21-2009, 12:38 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
qft

Quick Reply: So apparently there are No Turn on Red Cameras now