Snowmobile guys using Subaru Garrett Turbos!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 12:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
Snowmobile guys using Subaru Garrett Turbos!

Was at a shop in Bend, Oregon today. Garrett A/R 60 turbo kit installed on a 1000cc two stroke snowmobile. The motor had been heavily modified and was putting out 360hp at the crank. More than double the stock horsepower. It had a trick inline oil pump on the supply line. The exhaust side was a subaru flange. Extra set of injectors and engine management. Tear your arms off to try to stay on this sled.
Attached Thumbnails Snowmobile guys using Subaru Garrett Turbos!-img_0124.jpg  
Old 01-17-2010, 01:41 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
All I have to say is HOLY CRAP!!!

That is so beautiful, yet so violently chaotic!

Those pipes alone are enough to give a gearhead a total hard on.

It's hard to tell how it's configured since I'm not familiar with those motors at all, but what's the deal with that super fat pipe that looks like it's coming from the I/C (under to where you can't see) and goes into the throttle body? Why is it like that?

Again, sorry for the newbness of the question, I have no experience with that kind of setup and am not familiar with it at all which is why I'm asking. I'm sure others will wonder why too.

Nothing like the sound of a turbo moving air on a cold day (dense air), and that's in my car in the warm bay area, I can't imagine what that thing is like with it being so open and having the air be so cold. Must be pure sex.

In short, this equation puts it simply and beautifully:

large turbo + Boxer + Large I/C + free flowing exhaust (full) + COLD air + lead foot = Better than most things I can really imagine.

People brag about how Vtec is something that you can really feel "kick in" when you floor it, but coming from a turbo car, it's hard to notice anything at all. I can't imagine how that snow mobile is when it hits full boost... I really just can't imagine it. You'd need some crazy harness to hold you in so you wouldn''t fly off the back, and like you said, it'd tear your friggin arms off!

Are these guys specialty builders, or is this a one-off project? If they are a specialized shop that does these often, I don't suppose there is video of one of their monsters in action?

A couple months ago I watched a video of a snow mobile with some crazy motor (not as crazy as the one you posted) that had dual tracks to keep it down without losing traction!!! I didn't even know dual track snow mobiles even existed!

I wanna see more!!!

(sorry for the long post).

How have you been man? Long time now see!

Last edited by brucelee; 01-17-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:25 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
looks like surge piping? same way from the exhaust manifold to the turbo
Old 01-17-2010, 09:29 AM

that snowmobile is probably faster 0-60 than any car. My buddy didn't want to go with us because ours were only 150hp. Once I told him it was the same hp as his car, but quite a bit lighter he gave in. Needless to say he couldn't even modulate the gas enough to ride for the first hour+. They would rip 0-90mph in about 4 seconds

theres a video on youtube of a guy smoking a street bike on his snowmobile.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon (RIP)
Originally Posted by brucelee

Again, sorry for the newbness of the question, I have no experience with that kind of setup and am not familiar with it at all which is why I'm asking. I'm sure others will wonder why too.
Two-stroke engines usually utilize an expansion chamber to take advantage of resonance to turn over the piston for the next cycle. Exhaust comes out the headers and into the expansion chamber and then narrows again, creating a certain amount of back pressure than rebounds back into the cylinder, aiding in the turning of the crank. Remember, in two stroke engines, every cycle is a power cycle.

wiki has a good diagram of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_chamber
Old 01-18-2010, 01:02 AM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
that's ridiculous
Old 01-18-2010, 03:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
This setup is actually on the mild side. Do a quick search for "Turbo Snomobile" on youtube and you will find 500+hp snomobiles.