Smog Check troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 10:33 AM

Car Info: e92 335i
Unhappy Smog Check troubles

I'm trying to get Cali plates, but I failed a smog check this morning. I passed the visual and the actual Emissions test, what i failed was the functinal check. They explained that the computer could not read any mil/check engine light due to failure to successfully complete all OBD self test. WTF does that mean??
I'm wondering if its due to the Mil CEL eliminator on the down pipe?? They also said that this could happen by disconnecting the battery. So dont disconnect the battery before you get a smog just in case!! anyways, i just wanted to vent a little and see if any body had some knowledge on this issue....
Old 04-23-2004, 10:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
how long has it been since you disconnected the battery? i think what they're telling you is it takes some time from resetting the ECU to completing it's self checks. if you reset it the day before or so, it might not be finished, and you would fail.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:07 AM

I disconnected it last night when i put all the stock parts back on. I was searching the other site and found this:
Mil problems
I think I'll drive the car around today for a few hundred miles . I'm just worried that if i go back I'll still have the same problem. I'm thinking that the Mil eliminator is fooling the ecu into thinking that te self test are not ready therefore not showing a cell.

Oh, I also e-mailed The Mil Eliminator place and got this:

my e-mail:
I had a aftermarket down pipe in my 02 subaru wrx. I used the mil eliminator to get rid of the cel. I need to get a smog check, if i put the stock pipe back in while using the Mil eliminator, will I still pass the smog check? Thanks!

-alan

Response:

Alan,

Since our MIL Eliminators are sold for offroad use only, we've not tested
any cars with stock equipment with our MIL Eliminators installed. It may or
may not pass smog check.

Dan Smith
Pony Express Performance, LLC
sales@ponyexpressperformance.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
13025 Eby Street
Overland Park, KS 66213
(913) 709-PONY
Old 04-23-2004, 11:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
that's the response they have to give you.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:22 AM

yea it was real helpful..lol, anyways...I'm just gonna disconnect the Mil eliminator/ reconnect stock and drive the car around for a while. I just hope people will read this so they wont fail the $80+ test. (yes i shopped a few places b4 i did the test)

cliff notes to pass smog:
1) Put stock parts back on
2) take any Cel eliminators off
3) If you disconncested the battery, wait a few days and drive a few hundred miles..
Old 04-23-2004, 11:31 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I wouldn't do all that man.

From what I've read and heard is that if you reset your ecu/disconnect your battery it clears everything but it takes time to rebuild profiles and what not. So it's incomplete in under 24 hours. I'd just keep driving your car around and let it rebuild and go back in and test again. You should be fine. yeah definately don't disconnect withing 72 hours of a smog.

And most places offer free retesting if you fail.

Damn $80 is bank...last smog I got was $30. but that was like a year ago.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:36 AM

Thats what i told them! I remember the $25 smog checks. I guess it for all the new dynos going in. Oh yea, I almost forgot...most certified smog persons know about the uppipe, he let me slide cus his buddy owns an STi...lol
Old 04-23-2004, 11:39 AM
dz

Car Info: 1996 Mustang GT/2013 Outback Limited
I had the same thing happen on my Mustang.

My 1996 Mustang failed a smog check not because it pollutes or has illegal equipment on it but because the computer was reset recently. The Smog Check II equipment detected that the car had not gone through enough drive cycles for the computer to do all of its learning and for all the OBDII diagnostic checks to complete.

I disconnect the battery every time I park the car in the garage since I don't drive it much (less than 2,000 miles in the last 2 years). So I drove the car to work for a few days to make sure that the OBDII tests all completed so I could take it back in and get it passed.

On top of that I had to remove all the Autometer gauges from the dash and install the stock gauge cluster because the Check engine light (red led on the dash) that I hooked up did not light up saying "check engine" or "service engine soon". I offered to put a piece of masking tape next to it to label it but it has to light up with one of the few authorized sayings to be legal.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
did you use this
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StationL...ationList.aspx
to shop around? I got mine done last month or so for $48 including certificate. And that was the enhanced smog check.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:48 PM

Car Info: Nadda
mil Eliminator is BS. I passed with it on, and the only thing it does is emit the PERFECT circumstances of your downpipe temperature, so I don't think it is that.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:15 PM

I go back on monday, the guy said he'll test it again for free...In the meantime, I think I'll install my new prodrive lip:banana:
Old 04-23-2004, 04:11 PM

Car Info: 03 Silver WRX
This is good info...I'm need to get my CA plates soon also, since I guess the CHP is cracking down on this.

Does anyone know if the DMV cares when they check your VIN for aftermarket parts? Such as lips, rims, and headlights (ie. Morette)?

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
Originally posted by RatRace
This is good info...I'm need to get my CA plates soon also, since I guess the CHP is cracking down on this.

Does anyone know if the DMV cares when they check your VIN for aftermarket parts? Such as lips, rims, and headlights (ie. Morette)?

Thanks.
They only check your VIN they don't care about the rest of the car.

As for the MIL, I would expect a car equiped with a MIL to fail smog on the OBD2 check. Just take it out and put the stock DP back on and you'll be good to go.

Mike
Old 04-23-2004, 11:52 PM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
Originally posted by StuntMAn
I go back on monday, the guy said he'll test it again for free...In the meantime, I think I'll install my new prodrive lip:banana:
Let us know how it goes and make sure to update this thread. I am very interested in this.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Old 04-24-2004, 12:18 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
I also emailed Pony Express...and they said it's a crapshoot whether you'll pass with their MIL eliminator. Sometimes it throws a "not ready" for the O2 sensor and you will fail.

Luckily I'm removing mine because AccessPort maps have automatically widened the parameters for throwing a Cat-inefficiency CEL. :banana: thanks Cobb!

Quick Reply: Smog Check troubles