Smog check stop. Jaklin in Milpitas

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:30 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
I've never had trouble with my hi-flow. I guess it all depends on the quality of the hi-flow as they are not all created equal.

Some information that I've been told from a legit exhaust shop (they weld custom roll cages for rally cars, track cars, basically anything) is that the legal replacement cats are almost on par with hi-flow cats now. You can take one of these, cut off the stock diameter piping and open it up a little and reweld 3" piping on it to fit your exhaust, and it'll be 100% legal. It'll have all the correct serials, CARB #s and whatever else that these cats are stamped with. These guys don't do anything illegal in their shop and will not do anything off-road only unless the car comes in and leaves on a trailer. They told me shops are still liable for the work they have done to the car if the illegally modified car drives off their parking lot, no matter what warnings, waivers and anything else they do to try and protect themselves. Just an idea for anyone who wants to take the safer road.

But back on topic, I'm assuming these places don't have AWD rollers, since smog still doesn't require shops to have AWD rollers. I wonder if this means we have to automatically refuse and get logged into that database?
That makes it illegal.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
what if your car is too low and it will rub the ramp? would they just give you an issue you to the state ref? gives you time to change out the cat..i dunno just a thought.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:04 AM

Car Info: 2004 psm wrx
even more reason to love my montana plates
Old 02-17-2012, 06:37 AM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
Originally Posted by Urban_Grey_2.5
Visual....The cat itself is legal but the piping is illegal, it's the stupidest thing ever!! It's a total infringement on our rights! They designed things this way to take rights away from people who like to modify cars, which is stupid because Cadilacs ctsV's and shelby mustangs pump out way more power and probably way more emissions than a modded subie LOL .......What comes out of the tailpipe should be all that matters

This is an incorrect statement Sir. I also have a Magnaflow cat back with x-pipe and it tested cleaner than my WRX at idle in stock form.

Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 02-17-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 AM

Car Info: Norco 29er Mtn Bike
Originally Posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
This is an incorrect statement Sir. I also have a Magnaflow cat back with x-pipe and it tested cleaner than my WRX at idle in stock form.
Thats surprising, I figured a supercharged V8 would put out more emissions haha common misconception i guess. I'm so jealous of your car! I love the V wagon... I guess subie needs to step up there game if these high horsepower cars are putting out less emissions LOL
Old 02-17-2012, 07:32 AM

Car Info: 2009 WRX 5dr OBP
Thats surprising, I figured a supercharged V8 would put out more emissions haha common misconception i guess.
I think when you're less concerned with things like space and weight, and have more displacement at your disposal, you really buy yourself more headroom with regards to power, heat, fuel efficiency, etc. Our little 2.0/2.5s are known for doing a lot with what we have, but we're sacrificing a lot to achieve that.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 AM

Thats surprising, I figured a supercharged V8 would put out more emissions haha common misconception i guess. I'm so jealous of your car! I love the V wagon... I guess subie needs to step up there game if these high horsepower cars are putting out less emissions LOL
My V is of the first version, LS6 5.7L 405hp. Version two of the V is supercharged LSA, 538hp.

Originally Posted by Dartholomew
I think when you're less concerned with things like space and weight, and have more displacement at your disposal, you really buy yourself more headroom with regards to power, heat, fuel efficiency, etc. Our little 2.0/2.5s are known for doing a lot with what we have, but we're sacrificing a lot to achieve that.
This! No replacement for displacement. And I believe my V still has 6 cats in the exhaust sytem. Doesn't feel like it though.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:28 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
I'm pretty sure these checkpoints aren't set up with the intention of catching catless cars, but older cars/trucks that aren't maintained properly...I see so many bucket cars with crap coming out of their exhausts
Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Is it still up today? I might drive through it when I go up there today.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by slugrx
I'm pretty sure these checkpoints aren't set up with the intention of catching catless cars, but older cars/trucks that aren't maintained properly...I see so many bucket cars with crap coming out of their exhausts
So if that's the case, they are obviously profiling bucket cars and nothing newer. Which we all hope is what they are looking for.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:38 AM

Car Info: Norco 29er Mtn Bike
Originally Posted by Jodice112
Make sure to put your stock muffler on.. That straight pipe will be a insta-fail LOL
Old 02-17-2012, 10:01 AM

Car Info: 09 STi hatch
No didn't see it today on my way to work.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 AM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Originally Posted by whieb
even more reason to love my montana plates
This no longer protects you. Which is why I ditched my Arizona stuff.

You can be cited for out of state reg while living in CA, You can be cited for exhaust.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Originally Posted by old.guy
This no longer protects you. Which is why I ditched my Arizona stuff.

You can be cited for out of state reg while living in CA, You can be cited for exhaust.
But not tint?

My uncle lives in Vegas and he has 3% tint all around.

When he visited here, a police officer pulled up right next to us and was trying to look in the car and then he slowed down to look at the plate but never pulled us over or bothered us again. He told me it happened 2-3 times driving up here and yet he's never been pulled over for it.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM

Car Info: 03 Wrx black sedan + 2013 BRZ
But not tint?

My uncle lives in Vegas and he has 3% tint all around.

When he visited here, a police officer pulled up right next to us and was trying to look in the car and then he slowed down to look at the plate but never pulled us over or bothered us again. He told me it happened 2-3 times driving up here and yet he's never been pulled over for it.
Your uncle doesn't live in California, he was just visiting. If you live in California but maintain plates from another state that's when they cite you fro your reg because you are supposed to register your car in California when you move here.

As far as the tint I imagine most cops don't bother with it because they know your are visiting, but I'm sure there are officers out there that would cite you for it. However as an officer I wouldn't want to site visors to this state for those infractions as that does't promote tourism.

Last edited by Wrxneffect; 02-17-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Smog check stop. Jaklin in Milpitas