Smog check stop. Jaklin in Milpitas

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Also they probably wont checknyou if you say you're awd. Unless they ask to sniff your exhaust and you're catless. Opting out creates further suspision
Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Originally Posted by Heedz
Also they probably wont checknyou if you say you're awd. Unless they ask to sniff your exhaust and you're catless. Opting out creates further suspision
Always exercise your rights bro. Never be intimidated by anyone or anything. If you don't feel like doing the test, don't. If they try to do it without your consent, sue them. Simple thing to say is, "I do not consent to street smog checks".
Old 02-16-2012, 03:08 PM

Car Info: 2009 WRX 5dr OBP
Originally Posted by strider327
Always exercise your rights bro. Never be intimidated by anyone or anything. If you don't feel like doing the test, don't. If they try to do it without your consent, sue them. Simple thing to say is, "I do not consent to street smog checks".
This. If you don't mind getting smogged by all means allow them to do so. But if you do not wish to comply, you should definitely know your rights and NOT acquiesce due to intimidation or pressure.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:09 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by Heedz
Never consent to a search without a warrent. "opting out" as you say, is not grounds for resonable cause in this state.

Your answer to a LEO, or anyone is "I am sorry officer I do not consent to a search of my person, or my property", then shut up, answer nothing else no mater what they ask. Your only other words should be "am i free to go now?"
Old 02-16-2012, 03:12 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
I am sure they have the street measuring devices out in that area for a while. These things measure your tail pipe as you drive by. They deploy these out 1st. Then go in for a better look if it warranted.

I am still reseaching on the new smog check laws. But I think you have to do it now.

The best thing we all can do. Is to post up the second you see it. Post it everywhere and make sure everyone knows.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:13 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx
anyone have any facts about being able to decline these smog checks? i've been wondering about it for a little while now and its seriously got me thinking about getting a catted downpipe.

Last edited by MarvZz; 02-16-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:17 PM
banned

edit out ...

Last edited by old.guy; 02-16-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:24 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
According to that, they have it there because it is close to 680. There's a lot of traffic, especially trucks, passing through there in both directions.

My guess is, if you decline they can and probably will send you to the state ref. In which case, you will have time to make it stock or passable because it takes a while to get an appointment. If you pass, no worries (if they give you a fix it ticket, you have to pay the ticket which I believe is $25 now). If you don't pass, you have additional time to make the necessary corrections.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:27 PM
banned

The Smog ***** Are Coming For You! - Under The Hood - Import Tuner Magazine

And a older but very good state report.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/smogche...nal_report.pdf
Old 02-16-2012, 03:57 PM
banned

http://www.epa.gov/oms/regs/im/roadside.pdf

Here is the roadside dyno info. outdated, But still has some good info. The BAR has pulled down the new smog check info. I heard and read it was 100% every and you can't opt out. I'm going to keep digging till I find it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The number of operational roadside teams varies due to the availability of personnel and
equipment. Each team has three AQRs, and each AQR assumes one of the following duties:
1. A greeter/driver – responsible for interacting with drivers, answering program-related
questions, and driving the vehicle during the dynamometer portion of the inspection.
2. An underhood inspector – responsible for conducting a visual and functional inspection, if
performed, of the vehicle’s required emission control systems.
3. A BAR-97 inspection system operator – responsible for operating the emissions analyzer and
entering all the applicable data into the analyzer.
The California Vehicle Code specifies that only a California Highway Patrol (CHP) officer can
direct vehicles out of traffic and into test lanes. Therefore, BAR contracts with the CHP to
perform the necessary traffic direction and to provide additional security for the Roadside
Inspection Program.

Last edited by old.guy; 02-16-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:05 PM
banned

The greeter explains to the driver that the test is part of a survey to evaluate
the Smog Check Program and that there are no penalties, emissions-related or otherwise,
associated with the test. The BAR greeter also provides the driver with a consumer information
handout (Appendix D) that further explains the Roadside Inspection Program. If the driver
agrees to participate in the inspection process, the vehicle is inspected. If the driver refuses, the
vehicle is released and another vehicle is quickly directed into the test lane. The license plate
numbers of vehicles whose operators decline to participate in the Roadside Inspection Program
are recorded and entered into a laptop computer for later analysis
Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Guess I'm going with a catted downpipe then when I go stage 2.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM

Car Info: 09 STi hatch
Trying to look for the CVC regarding this. There has to be one if you can't refuse.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:38 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by old.guy
The greeter explains to the driver that the test is part of a survey to evaluate
the Smog Check Program and that there are no penalties, emissions-related or otherwise,
associated with the test. The BAR greeter also provides the driver with a consumer information
handout (Appendix D) that further explains the Roadside Inspection Program. If the driver
agrees to participate in the inspection process, the vehicle is inspected. If the driver refuses, the
vehicle is released and another vehicle is quickly directed into the test lane. The license plate
numbers of vehicles whose operators decline to participate in the Roadside Inspection Program
are recorded and entered into a laptop computer for later analysis
You can refuse but they put you into the database and you will likely get the test only smog next time is my guess. Lol I live in that area too but luckily didnt drive that way that day or Id be telling you first hand what happens if you refuse. Im running catless!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by Jodice112
Guess I'm going with a catted downpipe then when I go stage 2.
Hi Flow cats fail smog...ask me how I know

Quick Reply: Smog check stop. Jaklin in Milpitas