silk screen printing Machine

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 09:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2014 Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT
Alright guys.. for real now.. anyone have any info on this?
Old 02-10-2005, 12:47 AM

Car Info: 2001 RS
I say take a class and learn how to silkscreen the traditional way with the frame, screen, paint etc.... that way you get the feel of what your getting into because theres definatly different paths and alot of options with silkscreening and producing shirts.

Profit wise the way you market yourself and the type of projects your doing you can make a decent 2nd income but i dont think it will lead you to something as a career or a stable income.

Also keep in mind that getting into this type of field may require knowledge of graphic design apps .

hope this helps....
Old 02-10-2005, 12:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
Originally Posted by EJ25RS
I say take a class and learn how to silkscreen the traditional way with the frame, screen, paint etc.... that way you get the feel of what your getting into because theres definatly different paths and alot of options with silkscreening and producing shirts.

Profit wise the way you market yourself and the type of projects your doing you can make a decent 2nd income but i dont think it will lead you to something as a career or a stable income.

Also keep in mind that getting into this type of field may require knowledge of graphic design apps .

hope this helps....
well said.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:44 AM
VIP Member

hope this helps....

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into that! You know where there would be a good school to take a class like that?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:48 AM
UTR Member

Car Info: 93 Impreza L
Originally Posted by ish
rob is taking a class where they are learning silk screening
yep we dont start that for a couple weeks though
Old 02-10-2005, 11:16 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by killaho
yep we dont start that for a couple weeks though

where you takin that class Rob?
Old 02-10-2005, 11:33 AM
UTR Member

Car Info: 93 Impreza L
academy art
Old 02-10-2005, 10:57 PM

Car Info: 2001 RS
Originally Posted by sireatalot
Thanks for the advice, I'll look into that! You know where there would be a good school to take a class like that?
Honestly you dont need to go to a high class school for silk screening, i learned on my own just by researching thru the web and purchasing my supplies at an art supply store (pearls, michaels etc...) but i hear silk screening classes is available in community colleges...

Question is what kind of shirts do u plan on producing? plain text? multi colored text? artwork/logos? list goes on but doing traditional silk screening is very limited vs having a machine and is also time consuming...

Traditional way is cool if you want to be original and create your own hoodies/shirts but when it comes to mass quantity it can be very difficult to have everything lined up accuratly and can be very time consuming

To sum it up if u got the $$$ and can be relativly artsy with illustrator/freehand id go with a machine because your not gonna get anywhere silk screening a shirt one by one if your looking to make a profit off it.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:49 AM
VIP Member

Honestly you dont need to go to a high class school for silk screening, i learned on my own just by researching thru the web and purchasing my supplies at an art supply store (pearls, michaels etc...) but i hear silk screening classes is available in community colleges...

Question is what kind of shirts do u plan on producing? plain text? multi colored text? artwork/logos? list goes on but doing traditional silk screening is very limited vs having a machine and is also time consuming...

Traditional way is cool if you want to be original and create your own hoodies/shirts but when it comes to mass quantity it can be very difficult to have everything lined up accuratly and can be very time consuming

To sum it up if u got the $$$ and can be relativly artsy with illustrator/freehand id go with a machine because your not gonna get anywhere silk screening a shirt one by one if your looking to make a profit off it.
Actually, I'm glad you pointed that out. I'm actually buying a machine. They have free classes to help me use their product. I'm planning on doing mono and multi colors. So yeah.. I guess my main question is, What brand of machine is better? like what's a dependable name in screen printing machines? I'm sure it's not that hard to do. I've done harder things than this. I'm already looking at one that cranks out 60 shirts an hour. but yeah, if any of you know about the machines, let me know. thanks!
-ken
Old 02-12-2005, 02:17 PM

What brand of machine are you considering?

You should work in a silk screen shop for a while, BEFORE you buy a machine. You'll be able to answer many of your own questions.
The guy selling the machine may say it is a great business opportunity; but most of the people working these machines don't make much.
Silk screening is a large part of our business, but we don't do shirts any more.

Last edited by Enfo; 02-12-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:19 PM

Car Info: WRX Vishnu Wagon
Ken

Have you looked at ScreenPrinters.net yet?

Sounds like I'm in the same place ... ready to buy equipment ...get started.
I saw some posts on that site reccomending a good book "HOW TO PRINT
T-SHIRTS for fun and Profit " by Scott & Pat Fresener. I just got it today Amazon.com.

Let me know how it goes for you .. ....so are you thinking of buying the Printa Systems Package?

Good Luck
John