Should America's Tire Co be responsible for (installing wrong size for application)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 08:10 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
Should Discount Tire Co. be responsible for this?

Okay so this is what happened... My Dunlops were going out so I got a set of Kumho ECSTA ASX. I searched around a bit and seems like 225/50/16 should be okay on my stocker (00RS 16x7 53mm).

So they installed the tires and I took off. Took a turn onto the freeway on ramp and the front left rubbed... I was like, ah crap, but that's okay, I'll just roll my fenders later. Didn't hear other noises but the car did drive a little funny, but I thought it was some grease on the tires due to new tires. I checked my tires at the super market, looked okay and removed the rubber lips in the rear. Went to the gas station, checked again, looked okay. Went home, dropped off my gf and her sister and I went to the market again. This time, I have AC and music off and driving local (before was all freeway). I hear this LOUD rubbing noise and can't believe it because I inspected the tires several time after sever miles of driving on freeway. I didn't notice any rub marks or paint chip on the fenders. But I felt something was seriously wrong (I had tire road noise before but this is not it).

Went home took the rear wheel off and the struct was SHINY!! The tires were touching the struts without moving!!! How can Discount Tire Co. even let the car out of the lot or even put the tires/wheels on in the first place!! Yes, I know I asked for the size, but shouldn't they tell me if the tire/wheel combo is unsuitable for the car?!? Maybe not the moment of the order, but at least during the installation!! Just like they wouldn't let people drive the car off the lot if the flat is beyond repair (am I right about this?).

The crappy thing is they are not open tomorrow and they are closed now. Now I have to wait until Monday. Luckily they are only few miles away from me and I've only driven ~10 miles.

If I have my AC/Music on all the time I might have driven them until I get blowout on the road/freeway and potentially get into a crash or something!

I also got a set of whees/tires for my Protege, but they didn't have the parts. I think I am going to cancel that order now and ask for my money back for this set and the set for the Protege. Hopefully they still have my Dunlops...

Do you think I am SOL?
Old 07-15-2006, 08:29 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I'm guessing you mean America's Tire Co. since DTD is their online store.

Now, on America's Tire Co.'s computers it tells them what tire sizes should fit on the car without rubbing, and their computers tell them that the 225/50/16s should be perfectly fine with no fitment issues. I'm running 225/50/16s as well and I also used to work there so I kinda know the system.

Now, the tech that worked on your car should have thought something was wrong since it should be harder to put that wheel on the car (if it really was pushed that hard against the strut.) I know at Dublin, where I used to work, if you talked to the manager about it, he'd do his best to make things straight without any more trouble to the customer, but I don't know how the manager of your store will act.

So, overall, it is the shop's fault and they should take full responsibility of the problem. Hopefully you have a shop where the manager cares about the customer service and will get everything straightened out.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Former Vendor

Yeah I mean America's Tire Co...

Have you seen a situation like this before? Do you think they would be willing to (or should) get me 215/45/16 installed without me paying for another dime? Thanks!

This is driving me NUTS!!!

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
I'm guessing you mean America's Tire Co. since DTD is their online store.

Now, on America's Tire Co.'s computers it tells them what tire sizes should fit on the car without rubbing, and their computers tell them that the 225/50/16s should be perfectly fine with no fitment issues. I'm running 225/50/16s as well and I also used to work there so I kinda know the system.

Now, the tech that worked on your car should have thought something was wrong since it should be harder to put that wheel on the car (if it really was pushed that hard against the strut.) I know at Dublin, where I used to work, if you talked to the manager about it, he'd do his best to make things straight without any more trouble to the customer, but I don't know how the manager of your store will act.

So, overall, it is the shop's fault and they should take full responsibility of the problem. Hopefully you have a shop where the manager cares about the customer service and will get everything straightened out.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:01 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I would suggest playing dumb.
Call up on Monday and say - "Ever since I got the tires I have had this strange noise"
Go in, let THEM find the problem; don't let on that you know ANYTHING about cars or that you know what the issue is.
They should fix it; but in all liklihood the tries will need to be tossed.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Former Vendor

BTW, I have a 00RS and their website actually doesn't show 225/50/16 as an optional size...
Old 07-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Former Vendor

I also called their 888 number (888-774-6560) and left a message... I wonder if there is anything they can do for me...
Old 07-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Former Vendor

as long as they fix it without another dime out of my pocket, I am fine with it...

I just spend 1k on wheels and tires I don't want to spend anymore money...

Originally Posted by Lowend
I would suggest playing dumb.
Call up on Monday and say - "Ever since I got the tires I have had this strange noise"
Go in, let THEM find the problem; don't let on that you know ANYTHING about cars or that you know what the issue is.
They should fix it; but in all liklihood the tries will need to be tossed.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:20 PM

Car Info: My Bikecycle
As an employee of America's Tire Co. I am going to say most likely the same thing they will, you asked for the tire.... they put it on no questions ask, IF the salesman was doing his job he should have double checked the fitment. I will double check the computer on monday when i go in to see what it says about the fitment. If you want to assure yourself good customer service you might want to look into traveling up to the store i am at in union city. if you ask for the manager i am more than positive that he will be willing to get you wahtever you need to fix the problem..... And if you see a 02 WRB WRX i will be there and will do my best to convince him to get whatever you need.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteRguyX
As an employee of America's Tire Co. I am going to say most likely the same thing they will, you asked for the tire.... they put it on no questions ask, IF the salesman was doing his job he should have double checked the fitment. I will double check the computer on monday when i go in to see what it says about the fitment. If you want to assure yourself good customer service you might want to look into traveling up to the store i am at in union city. if you ask for the manager i am more than positive that he will be willing to get you wahtever you need to fix the problem..... And if you see a 02 WRB WRX i will be there and will do my best to convince him to get whatever you need.
Most ATCs have really good management and they put customer service very high in priority. Hopefully he can take it back on monday and get everything straightened out.

I definately think they will fix/replace the car without anything out of your pocket except the time and the gas to get there.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Former Vendor

time is no big deal, to me safety comes first! Never had a blowout and not looking forward to one... gas, not a big deal either since they are only few miles away from me. Cost, yes, that's a big deal since I just spend little over 1k for 2 set of tires and one set of wheels... At the end, I just want to go home happy...

Most ATCs have really good management and they put customer service very high in priority. Hopefully he can take it back on monday and get everything straightened out.

I definately think they will fix/replace the car without anything out of your pocket except the time and the gas to get there.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:21 AM
Former Vendor

are you saying if the manager down here at SJ (off of Hamilton) is not willing to work with me, your manager would? I don't mind the travel, just worry since it's rubbing...

Originally Posted by WhiteRguyX
Old 07-16-2006, 12:30 AM
Former Vendor

even with this bad experience I have to agree. I have gotten tires from ATC before (not the same store) and they sold me on my future tire purchases due to their customer service attitude. I just hope this store would do the same... Wish me luck guys!

Most ATCs have really good management and they put customer service very high in priority.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:50 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Hmm you asked for that size tire; you may be SOL
Old 07-16-2006, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lowend
Hmm you asked for that size tire; you may be SOL
I don't think they would do that. Since if a tire is iffy, they're supposed to test fit the tire prior to installing all 4. I had a friend who had bought some tires and he hated them. Most tires have a 30 day buyback guarantee if you don't like the ride, however these tires didn't. ATC still took all the tires back after 1-2 days of driving on them with full refund and helped him find new tires.

That's another thing iBlue could do, is use the 30 day buyback guarantee and say you don't like the ride. Hope that your tires have it, you can check on tirerack if it's available.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Former Vendor

30 day buyback? Holy crap! I didn't even know that, that is very good news to me! So I assume worst to worst I'll just have to pay for installation again? I've only put ~10 miles on it so far and not planning on putting more (good that I have a second car) until Monday comes around.

STi-owns-evo, is that ATC's standard procedure on test fitting the tire before all 4? Because this set is touching the struts even without being on the ground or moving at all!

Thanks again guys! Right now i just can't wait until tomorrow morning to go in and take care of this thing...

I don't think they would do that. Since if a tire is iffy, they're supposed to test fit the tire prior to installing all 4. I had a friend who had bought some tires and he hated them. Most tires have a 30 day buyback guarantee if you don't like the ride, however these tires didn't. ATC still took all the tires back after 1-2 days of driving on them with full refund and helped him find new tires.

That's another thing iBlue could do, is use the 30 day buyback guarantee and say you don't like the ride. Hope that your tires have it, you can check on tirerack if it's available.

Quick Reply: Should America's Tire Co be responsible for (installing wrong size for application)?