Shell gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by ScoobyBoy
i went to that shell once before the rallyx, i noticed the car felt like crud, and i got a cel from it. i know it has jack ish to do with it, but still. ive never used shell ever again.

i normally stick with 76, chevron, or valero. valero seems good to me, power still seems there, and mileage seems good too.

anyone have reasons why valero is bad?
I have to admit that I regularly go with Valero too. Power is still there and good mileage. The few times I went to Chevron, my car felt weak. Maybe it was just those particular branches I chose. I don't know These days I'm either Valero or 76.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:49 PM

im using the valero in hayward, the one by the freeway enterance. its cheap 1.89, and there doesnt seem to be much downfalls.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by ScoobyBoy
im using the valero in hayward, the one by the freeway enterance. its cheap 1.89, and there doesnt seem to be much downfalls.
Ha! The one on the Jackson exit? If so, see you there sometime!
Old 10-21-2003, 12:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
For what its worth, I've heard a rumor that Costco gas is supplied by Shell.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:24 AM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
76 is teh bomb... thats all i use. ever.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by ScoobyEnthused
Ha! The one on the Jackson exit? If so, see you there sometime!
yup im always there. how often do you go there?
Old 10-21-2003, 01:50 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
<insert gas brand here> is the bomb, I use it all the time. I (will never)/(will never use again) <insert another gas brand here>, every time I use it its garbage and (make my car slow)/(give me horrid mileage)/(makes me ping when I hit 20psi)

every person has a favorite gas brand and one they hate. I honestly dont think it makes that much of a difference. The only thing I ever saw a difference on was my Eclipse when it was fully built. With the cams in it, it would not idle on Arco or BP, and would only run right on Chevron, Shell, or 76
Old 10-21-2003, 08:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally posted by killaho
hmm the cool blue 100 over here has mtbe in it though

maybe so but the fact it's 100 octane makes up for that

as far as what Scott said it's true. More power to ya if you can afford the best/expensive gas for your subbie in these times. Don't stress that you're putting Costco Gas into your car... here's a good article that makes sense in regard to Costco's prices:

http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2...es/05local.htm

Unless you're going to the track or running some crazy set-up i wouldn't stress. Just think about all the people that don't put 91+ into there car... you don't see them not getting to work every morning.

Last edited by Salty; 10-21-2003 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: SCBYDON
valero and chevron is fine with me...i'll try 76 just to see, since almost all y'al like it
Old 10-21-2003, 09:01 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
k read this:

http://vettenet.org/octane.html

also, i can tell when something besides 76 91 is in my car with the utec running. knock knock knock knock
Old 10-21-2003, 09:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
I GO OUT OF MY WAY FOR 76 GAS.

edgar,
Old 10-21-2003, 09:36 AM
The weal amewican hewo!

Car Info: 02 Aspen White sedan
how is costco gas ne ways compared to 76 or the other big named gas companies?? Its freakin cheap for premium but does it affect power...

- Daniel
Old 10-21-2003, 10:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally posted by DanyoCantDrift
how is costco gas ne ways compared to 76 or the other big named gas companies?? Its freakin cheap for premium but does it affect power...

- Daniel
EDIT: BTW costco sells it's gas cheaper because they've decided to sell it at a wholesale price. they make most of their money in the store area and can afford to do so. (read the article i posted)

If you read the two articles above you'll see that all gasoline is the SAME. If a there's a shell refinery (or for most of us in the sacto area it's Ramos Oil) in the bay area, 76 isn't going to ship their gasoline from texas, instead they'll buy shells gas to avoid shipping and finally ADD their special ingidients to make it "76 gas". that's waht makes all gas different to some marginal respect.

The addatives each company puts in are probably differ with the changing of a molecule here of there. they are all formulated for today's EFI cars. Therefore, i bet it's a hard process in figuring out which addative is the "best" and would require extreme conditions and many different cars tuned exactly the same. i bet most chemists have a semi-difficult time figuring that one out.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Well, my order of gas preferences goes like this......

chevron

if I am running low on gas and there arent either of those around.....I continue on until I find one. I have also found that where there is a 76, there usually is a Chevron too.....but if given the choice, I choose 76 by far. IF I am extremely desperate for gas, and am on E with the idiot light on.....I will pull into any station I can find (that is not some mom and pop hole in the wall) and will only put in 5 bucks or so, just to get me to a 76.

I have never had any problems with Chevron....IMO Chevron is a good quality gasoline...not as good as 76 but better than anyone else. I have not had any problems with power loss due to Chevron gas.

-Ted

Quick Reply: Shell gas