SF Officer Opens Fire In Road Rage Incident

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 03:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by splinter
i dont think guys who pull guns on people crossing the gg bridge are safe people to be in public
well neither do I , but this is not an excuse for the officers actions we don't have all the facts thus far.
All we know is the vague story from the news reports so far.

But we all know that an officers duty is public safety, so it will be interesting to get more factual information on what actually happened.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Originally Posted by Overbear
hey medicSTI, I think this asshats comment should about sum up what I was saying. (see bold)

Saqwarrior, you are the worst in people, it makes me sick that you are an American. You might do better in...oh I don't know, say France.
Yeah, I agree that's a really lame comment. I'm for the officer's innocence with the law until proven guilty, but that doesn't mean he should escape all criticism for the lack of story. The criticism and pressure has its place in finding the truth.

There are a lot of cops who love what they do and do it to serve their friends, family, and communities.

There are also some who love their pay checks.

And some that have hot heads and like to fight, people that would be on the other side of the law if they weren't cops.

Probably cops that used to love being cops and are now waiting for retirement...

Is that ANY different than any other PROFESSION? People that love the job, people that love the money, people that love the entitlement to perks of the job, and people that USED TO love their jobs, but are burned out? NO!

So to those passing judgment, make sure you're not guilty of the same traits you may be condemning others for having unless you're ready for condemnation
Old 12-25-2008, 04:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
"Asshat" indeed; I guess you have a problem with people having a different opinion than you.

Supporting a police state does not make you an American, it makes you a fascist. Look up the definition of liberty sometime.
And a nation without police would be an anarchist state

You said something out of line and harsh, not just an innocent non-provocative explanation of your point of view, which is why you got the response you did.

I say that if he was abusing his power, he should be fired--one less pig makes the world a better place as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:42 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Play with the bull, and you'll get the horns.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:32 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Play with the bull, and you'll get the horns.
Bulls usually don't repeatedly miss their targets like how this guy did though.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by I<3subie
---------------------------------------------

Ok anyone else do this and you would be in jail right now. No reason for a sworn peace officer to pull such a move. These guys are trained to deal with this stuff day in and day out. Thats like taking a gun call and just showing up and shooting instead of dealing with it. He could have hit the brakes and dialed 911. If he stopped and they shot at him well then its fair game. I think he was being a little over the top.
Interesting, road rage is typically provoked, especially when it escalates to gunfire. Funny how they don't get into that.

Not sure how else I feel about the situation apart from that.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:06 PM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
Originally Posted by blue blurr
I would just stop posting in this thread and let the haters continue to whine. Secretly, you can laugh to yourself when one of them pops up with a thread saying, "Oh no, I was state reffed!".
Some of us have ambitions to be in law enforcement, so please....the next time you want to make a blind generalization...leave me out of it

Its not about liberal Vs conservative....its about professional accountability.

Here's a parallel situation; your childs' 2nd grade teacher is having a "bad day" and punches your child because the kid was being annoying. What do you do then hotshot, what do you dooooo?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:37 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
your the type of guy that cheers when a cop goes down aren't you.
Another assumption; no, I'm not. But if it makes you feel better to believe that, go for it.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by blue blurr
We are believing the cop because 95% of all police offers in the united states are legitimate hard working people. Stop watching TV shows and movies, not all cops are corrupt.
I never said all cops were corrupt. However, it is a well-known fact that police department corruption and brutality is a significant problem in urban centers.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by verc
You sound like a humanities major
I'm not, but I choose to take that as a compliment.

Originally Posted by verc
Anyways, I think we can all agree on once fact here: If you were in a situation where a person draws a firearm on you, and you have a firearm - you WILL draw your weapon. I don't care how liberal or idealistic you are. Self preservation trumps all.
Agreed.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by medicSTi
And a nation without police would be an anarchist state
Lacking a police force is not necessarily a requirement of an anarchist state.

Originally Posted by medicSTi
You said something out of line and harsh, not just an innocent non-provocative explanation of your point of view, which is why you got the response you did.
The only thing that I wrote that could have been "offensive" was referring to the police officer as a "pig," and if anyone on this forum is such a shrinking violet that they find that offensive then perhaps they need to toughen up a bit.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:25 AM

Wait this is all bull**** you guys are getting OT

What if I was in the officers position and had a firearm in my vehicle and shot it at another motorist, whether it be because of road rage or me being fearful for my life.
What do you think would happen to me not being an officer?
What charges would I face?

and why the hell is this cop, who lives and breaths the law not being held accountable to it like I most certainly would? How is firing a weapon in traffic at any point in time in the best interest of the people he is sworn to serve and protect?

There are so many holes in this story so far it is ridiculous. For instance, how was the driver of the truck provoked into brandishing a firearm on the GG bridge?

I think it boils down to people assuming the officer did something wrong because it is a way to keep police officer's power in check. You have to admit that being a police officer is a not only a honorable thing to do but it is a privilege to have that many people trusting you to do your job and do it lawfully. Yet with that trust, we bestow upon them certain rights that the average civilian does not have. These rights are sometimes abused and it's that abuse of power is what leads people to have a negative disposition about those types of police officers. The police officers that do bend the rules are what I call pigs* and are what I think saqwarrior was getting at with his earlier comment. Protect and Serve.

* http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pigs

OT: Overbear you need to get a grip bro, no one wants to hear your story and how cool you felt when a cop said that to you, this isn't about you. This also isn't about political preference, yet you continue to mention liberals in a negative manner. Oh and
your the type of guy that cheers when a cop goes down aren't you.
Wow you didn't even read what saqwarrior wrote and then you responded with that? Are you sure you should own a gun? jk I'm sure there are crazier ones than you, like Brucelee
Old 12-26-2008, 05:02 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
I never said all cops were corrupt. However, it is a well-known fact that police department corruption and brutality is a significant problem in urban centers.
Ok, proof please. If you are going to make a bold direct statement like that, you need to back your words up with science and fact, so I am calling you out on it. Lets see some data on this, I want to see reliable sources.

Kid, and I call you that because its very clear to me your not quite an adult yet in your thinking or social growth. Let me help you out with some facts...

1)There are only 836,787 sworn LEO's in the US at any given time. Think about that, we have a population of 301,139,947 as of '07. That means there is one officer per 360(rounded up) Americans. You want to talk about out numbered.(1)

2)57 officers lost their lives in the line of duty in just 2007 alone.(2)

3)Only XXX officers of the law faced criminal charges in 2007 (Still researching this one, will fill in data once I have it. However it appears so far that the FBI nor the DOJ track such a number. That leads me to believe it is so small as to be negligible. )(3)

(1)http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/lawenf.htm
(2)http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/killed/2007/f...slykilled.html
(3)Unknown
Old 12-26-2008, 07:51 AM

Ok, proof please. If you are going to make a bold direct statement like that, you need to back your words up with science and fact, so I am calling you out on it. Lets see some data on this, I want to see reliable sources.
How's USA Today? Here's an excerpt from an article titled "Police brutality cases on rise since 9/11":
Originally Posted by Kevin Johnson, USA Today
Police brutality cases on rise since 9/11
By Kevin Johnson, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — Federal prosecutors are targeting a rising number of law enforcement officers for alleged brutality, Justice Department statistics show. The heightened prosecutions come as the nation's largest police union fears that agencies are dropping standards to fill thousands of vacancies and "scrimping" on training.

Cases in which police, prison guards and other law enforcement authorities have used excessive force or other tactics to violate victims' civil rights have increased 25% (281 vs. 224) from fiscal years 2001 to 2007 over the previous seven years, the department says.
Here's an excerpt from an interesting essay titled "Analysis of Police Corruption":
Police corruption is a complex phenomenon, which does not readily submit to simple analysis. It is a problem that has and will continue to affect us all, whether we are civilians or law enforcement officers. Since its beginnings, may aspects of policing have changed; however, one aspect that has remained relatively unchanged is the existence of corruption. An examination of a local newspaper or any police-related publication on any given day will have an article about a police officer that got busted committing some kind of corrupt act. Police corruption has increased dramatically with the illegal cocaine trade, with officers acting alone or in-groups to steal money from dealers or distribute cocaine themselves. Large groups of corrupt police have been caught in New York, New Orleans, Washington, DC, and Los Angeles.
Kid, and I call you that because its very clear to me your not quite an adult yet in your thinking or social growth. Let me help you out with some facts...
Yes, clearly I have maturity issues, even though I'm not the one slinging around ad hominem attacks, assumptions and being hyper-aggressive.

1)There are only 836,787 sworn LEO's in the US at any given time. Think about that, we have a population of 301,139,947 as of '07. That means there is one officer per 360(rounded up) Americans. You want to talk about out numbered.(1)

2)57 officers lost their lives in the line of duty in just 2007 alone.(2)
I fail to see the relevance to the discussion. As far as I'm concerned, that highly misleading ratio that you so cavalierly came up with is indicative of a much more serious problem. Any society that has to rely on force to insure public safety and rule of law is doomed to collapse in on itself. History has shown this to be true with previous empires; see the Roman Empire as an example.

3)Only XXX officers of the law faced criminal charges in 2007 (Still researching this one, will fill in data once I have it. However it appears so far that the FBI nor the DOJ track such a number. That leads me to believe it is so small as to be negligible. )(3)

(1)http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/lawenf.htm
(2)http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/killed/2007/f...slykilled.html
(3)Unknown
Oh yes, surely it's negligible--that must be why every major urban police department has entire departments dedicated to rooting out and prosecuting police corruption, also known as "Internal Affairs" sections.

Also, the importance of something is not necessarily tied to the quantity of a thing; police corruption may be statistically low in rural and suburban areas, but the highly publicized events that occur in metropolitan areas is enough to have cast an indelible mark on the public conscious and how they view law enforcement.

This whole time you've been arguing you haven't even bothered to ask why I wrote what I did; as a matter of fact, you haven't sought any kind of clarification whatsoever. Naturally you avoid doing so because you don't actually seek to understand other peoples' positions, you just want to be RIGHT.

You speak of my emotional and "social" maturity, whatever that means, and that's fine; you've quite clearly illustrated to me and this forum the type of person you are. I suggest you look in a mirror sometime and examine your own actions, starting with why you have such a problem dealing with anyone who has a different opinion than you.

Having said that, since you are incapable of having a civil, mature discussion exchanging ideas and sharing opinions, I won't respond to you further on this topic unless you change your tone. I hope you've had a merry Christmas and I wish you well in the new year.

Last edited by saqwarrior; 12-26-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by nokio
The police officers that do bend the rules are what I call pigs* and are what I think saqwarrior was getting at with his earlier comment. Protect and Serve.

* http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pigs
I must say that I'm shocked that someone finally made that connection. Thank you.

Originally Posted by nokio
OT: Overbear you need to get a grip bro, no one wants to hear your story and how cool you felt when a cop said that to you, this isn't about you. This also isn't about political preference, yet you continue to mention liberals in a negative manner. Oh and Wow you didn't even read what saqwarrior wrote and then you responded with that? Are you sure you should own a gun? jk I'm sure there are crazier ones than you, like Brucelee
I don't think he has read anything I've written with any intent other than to continue to fling insults and argue.

Quick Reply: SF Officer Opens Fire In Road Rage Incident