Severe lack of tools and knowledge.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT and 06 WRX TR
Severe lack of tools and knowledge.

Can someone please assist me with a turbo timer installation? I have a very minute selection of tools...hammer...screw drivers...pliers...etc...etc.. and in dire need of someone knowledgeable to help me with installation. I searched the forums for HOW TOs but lack the confidence to actually do it. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Just bought an APEXi Turbo Timer with HKS harness, from one of our members in the classifieds.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
if it's with the harness i believe it should be pnp
Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Step 1: Open trash can lid
Step 2: Drop turbo timer in trash can
Step 3: Close trash can lid
Old 02-18-2013, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by kspek
if it's with the harness i believe it should be pnp
So, just PnP and splice into parking brake harness?

Originally Posted by Brfatal
Turbo timers arent that helpful? I was under the impression it was recommended?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:57 PM

Car Info: 99 Swap'd GM6
What Brfatal didn't tell you because he felt like being snarky, was that it's been noted in multiple forums and, IIRC, Subaru itself, that turbo timers are pointless on our cars from a stock or lightly modified point because the turbos cool naturally.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
What Brfatal didn't tell you because he felt like being snarky, was that it's been noted in multiple forums and, IIRC, Subaru itself, that turbo timers are pointless on our cars from a stock or lightly modified point because the turbos cool naturally.
ohh..... well better to have one now than later i guess....got it for a pretty good price.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Our turbos are both oil and water cooled. As are essentially all aftermarket turbos that fit on our cars since ~2003-4. No production car since built since the mid 1990s would benefit from a turbo timer with the stock turbo.

A turbo timer does absolutely nothing in our cars except waste time and gas.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:06 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
All turbos will cool eventually naturally, that's not the issue that makes the turbo timers essentially pointless for our cars.

Most modern turbos are both Oil & Water Cooled. The Turbo Timers were useful back years ago when turbos were mainly only Oil Cooled as they helped prevent Oil Coking.

How Easy is it to Coke a Turbo? - NASIOC

With both modern turbos being typically both Oil & Water Cooled as well as the lubricants (oils) that are being used today having been improved upon since the days of early turbos both of these things combined help to negate the need for a Turbo Timer. Now if you want to have one just to have one that's not a problem, but it is not a necessary item for your car in most instances currently.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 PM

Our turbos are both oil and water cooled. As are essentially all aftermarket turbos that fit on our cars since ~2003-4. No production car since built since the mid 1990s would benefit from a turbo timer with the stock turbo.

A turbo timer does absolutely nothing in our cars except waste time and gas.
Originally Posted by flukewrx
All turbos will cool eventually naturally, that's not the issue that makes the turbo timers essentially pointless for our cars.

Most modern turbos are both Oil & Water Cooled. The Turbo Timers were useful back years ago when turbos were mainly only Oil Cooled as they helped prevent Oil Coking.

How Easy is it to Coke a Turbo? - NASIOC

With both modern turbos being typically both Oil & Water Cooled as well as the lubricants (oils) that are being used today having been improved upon since the days of early turbos both of these things combined help to negate the need for a Turbo Timer. Now if you want to have one just to have one that's not a problem, but it is not a necessary item for your car in most instances currently.
bout to post it in craigslist soon... i was so excited for a bit, then it died down like a 1 hit wonder. Now going to focus on suspension mods....thinking coilovers.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Technical Know-It-All

I suggest you stop buying and start researching.

Coilovers are the last suspension mod you should be doing, and at $1,500 and up for anything half decent they are the lowest bang for the buck.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:56 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!

I would agree they are not necessary, but there are not pointless either. I used mine (the one you bought) to warm up the car when I lived in Chicago and keep tabs on the battery voltage. Midwest has something called a "winter" with temperatures below 40 degrees. Though I still had it on ~30 sec cool down (just paranoia ).

Coilovers are the last suspension mod you should be doing, and at $1,500 and up for anything half decent they are the lowest bang for the buck.
+1,000 jumping to coilvers from the start is like slapping on a big turbo as your first mod. There are plenty more gradual and useful things you can do.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by LxJLthr

Yeah. I have been doing research on lowering springs, coilovers, and sway bars. Leaning towards a good lowering springs and struts combo that would be suitable for dd, but some suggest coilovers. Getting mixed reviews but it looks more cost effective to just invest in some good springs and struts. Do coilovers really add that much performance, while sacrificing ride quality?

I would agree they are not necessary, but there are not pointless either. I used mine (the one you bought) to warm up the car when I lived in Chicago and keep tabs on the battery voltage. Midwest has something called a "winter" with temperatures below 40 degrees. Though I still had it on ~30 sec cool down (just paranoia ).

+1,000 jumping to coilvers from the start is like slapping on a big turbo as your first mod. There are plenty more gradual and useful things you can do.
Was planning on eliminating that ugly gap and perhaps add some improved handling. Planning on buying some 2012 wrx rims and that gap between rim and fender would look.....bleh...
Old 02-18-2013, 08:13 PM

Yeah. I have been doing research on lowering springs, coilovers, and sway bars. Leaning towards a good lowering springs and struts combo that would be suitable for dd, but some suggest coilovers. Getting mixed reviews but it looks more cost effective to just invest in some good springs and struts. Do coilovers really add that much performance, while sacrificing ride quality?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM

Car Info: 2010 Subaru sti SE/SpecC
Stop you guys are killing him! Lol killing his excitement...he will learn, fixing the gap could be lessened with wheels if you haven't got any yet.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by AWDomination
Stop you guys are killing him! Lol killing his excitement...he will learn, fixing the gap could be lessened with wheels if you haven't got any yet.
this is slowly going away.... LOL

Quick Reply: Severe lack of tools and knowledge.