Seized engine: need recommended shop to diagnose/repair in Socal (Irvine area)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Retired War Hero

Car Info: .gifs
call outfront motorsports, they do a lot of the real engine work for most of the shops. they'll give you a no BS price.

call my friends at apollo performance for labor quotes, tell them you're friends with jordan, ask for gino.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:18 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by Roo
I'd trailer it to Suby Specialties in Monrovia (up the 57) to get my car worked on. One of his techs spent years working for Subaru R & D, and he knows his motors. Steve is also one of the most honest techs/owners I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with. Think if LIC Motorsports got cloned and placed in SoCal. One of two shops I'd hand the keys to, and NEVER have to question the work, the price, or the quality.
You'd be crazy to not trust Paul to do your work. He's the only mechanic Subaru trusted with the 22B when it was in the area, not to mention he has a very deep and high-level rally background as a mechanic.

He's worked closely with Subaru for many, many years. Remember the Forester Sports concept in 2005? Built in his shop. I'd say he knows what he is doing.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subie
Originally Posted by pete
You'd be looking at:
  • Around $2000 for a brand new short block
  • $1000+ for all the accessories seeing that your engine seized and had a lot of miles on it
    1. Oil Cooler
    2. Oil Pump
    3. Timing Belt
    4. Tensioner
    5. Master Gasket Kit
    6. Possibly new pulleys
    7. Head studs
    8. etc
  • $1000+ for headwork depending on the shop
    1. Inspection and testing
    2. Surface and clean
    3. 5 angle grind job
    4. Possibly new guides
    5. Setting valve lash
    6. (Hopefully your valves and springs are fine)

Along with all of this you have labor, as well as possibly having to deal with getting a new clutch if yours is worn, cleaning and testing your injectors if you really want to, and then spending even more money for more power. It's definitely not cheap when the engine goes on these cars.
Yeah, as I have realized a "new" engine will be a considerable cost and it won't be cheap to get this thing back on the road. I really don't plan on trying to upgrade components, I'm already far enough in the hole as it stands now. BTW, the car just ticked over 90k when the engine seized and both mechanics are unsure why failure occured given that oil levels were normal and it seemed to be running great up until the point of disaster.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:50 PM

Car Info: 07 STi, 02 F150-FX4, 04 ZX-636, 07 990 SuperDuke
Originally Posted by bsbretly
Yeah, as I have realized a "new" engine will be a considerable cost and it won't be cheap to get this thing back on the road. I really don't plan on trying to upgrade components, I'm already far enough in the hole as it stands now. BTW, the car just ticked over 90k when the engine seized and both mechanics are unsure why failure occured given that oil levels were normal and it seemed to be running great up until the point of disaster.
How did your engine seize, broken con rod? You can save some money by reusing your case halves as long as they are salvageable but it may not be cost effective if you have someone else do the work.

I lost a ringland on one of my pistons at around 78K and decided to rebuild the motor myself. It helps lower the price a bit if you have the tools, time, and knowledge or are willing to follow the manual; only problem is that if you eff up, it's all on you.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:15 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by pete
How did your engine seize, broken con rod? You can save some money by reusing your case halves as long as they are salvageable but it may not be cost effective if you have someone else do the work.

I lost a ringland on one of my pistons at around 78K and decided to rebuild the motor myself. It helps lower the price a bit if you have the tools, time, and knowledge or are willing to follow the manual; only problem is that if you eff up, it's all on you.
Unfortunately I'm down here in socal for the summer and I don't have the time or the tools so I'm going to have to trust Paul from rallysport eng to rebuild it for me.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 AM
VIP Member

Wanted to get some input on my two current options:
1) Get a whole "new" motor from a salvage vehicle, which will have 90k+ on it already, no warranty of any kind on the motor
2) Buy a brand new '10 short block, rebuild the heads, intake, etc. from my old motor

Which option would you opt for. I have a hard time justifying a 5k+ cost for a motor which has more miles than the one that crapped out on me and has no kind of warranty associated with it. Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:15 PM

Car Info: 07 STi, 02 F150-FX4, 04 ZX-636, 07 990 SuperDuke
1) Get a whole "new" motor from a salvage vehicle, which will have 90k+ on it already, no warranty of any kind on the motor
2) Buy a brand new '10 short block, rebuild the heads, intake, etc. from my old motor

Which option would you opt for. I have a hard time justifying a 5k+ cost for a motor which has more miles than the one that crapped out on me and has no kind of warranty associated with it. Any input is appreciated, thanks.
I wouldn't be comfortable with a 90k+ miles motor as you'll need to do the 105K service much sooner which will cost you close to the same as just buying a new block and reusing your heads.

Option 2 will be better but it will cost you a pretty penny. I'll have to look through all my receipts to see how much mine cost to build up. You'll be looking at at least 5K (new short block, head work, accessories, belts, gaskets, pump, oil cooler, etc.)
Old 07-12-2011, 05:04 PM
VIP Member

I'm getting quoted at around $6,500-$7,000 for a brand new shortblock, rebuilt heads, etc. At this point, is it even worth keeping the car? It's a 2005 STi, it is worth more than 7k but that's a lot of money to throw at this thing. Would you scrap the car at this point and just try to sell the vehicle w/o a motor?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:09 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I'm getting quoted at around $6,500-$7,000 for a brand new shortblock, rebuilt heads, etc. At this point, is it even worth keeping the car? It's a 2005 STi, it is worth more than 7k but that's a lot of money to throw at this thing. Would you scrap the car at this point and just try to sell the vehicle w/o a motor?
I think you could do it for less.

As for what I would do... I'd rebuild the motor because I LOVE my suby. If it's paid off and you have options then there are... options. LOL.

1. Fix it
2. Get it up here. Fix it for less and have local shop support.
3. Get it up here and sell it as is.
4. Get it up here and part it out. Time consuming but probably the most profitable.

Either way... I'd do what you can to get it back up here. Borrow a flat bed and go get it if you have to.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:13 PM
General Pimpin'

Just read this. Why are they trying to get you to buy a 2010 shortblock?

You can get a fully built block for what they're trying to charge you. I'd get the car back here.... seriously. Have the motor rebuilt and the heads looked at. Might not even need to be gone through. Might be able to do it for $2k less than what they're charging. Unless you punched a hole in your block I don't see why you'd need to scrap it.

As for the other motor... unless it's temporary and you're sticking your current motor in the trunk and bring it home with you AND it's super cheap, I wouldn't do it. Just throwing money away and giving away your old long block.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:16 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Unit 91
You'd be crazy to not trust Paul to do your work. He's the only mechanic Subaru trusted with the 22B when it was in the area, not to mention he has a very deep and high-level rally background as a mechanic.

He's worked closely with Subaru for many, many years. Remember the Forester Sports concept in 2005? Built in his shop. I'd say he knows what he is doing.
Yeah but if he's charging $6500 PLUS labor it sounds to me like he knows he's got the dude over a barrel. You're talking $8000 for a stock motor. No way in hell would I pay that price. NO WAY. And why the 2010 motor? Then you add in the new clutch with flywheel resurface and you're at $9000. Crazy.

I'd have Paul (DB Tuned or Mike) do up a fully built motor with some goodies for less and have local support. (if he's moving back up here)
Old 07-12-2011, 05:22 PM
General Pimpin'

I found several different shops here and on nasioc that will do built blocks for a lot less with warranties.

This was quoted from just one of them
ML500 2.5L
This is our entry-level block but certainly up for the task of holding big power. Light years better than a standard Subaru short-block but lacks some of the finer details of the ML500+ line. This is a great choice for those looking to have a stout daily driver but with the ability to turn the wick up when needed.
Recommended Power: 400-500WHP, RPM: 7200

New Factory Block
New Factory Nitrided Crank
New Factory Bearings
New Factory I-Beam Rods
Forged Pistons
- 4032 forging offers quiet operation with strength
- Chromoly Wrist Pins
- Anti-friction skirt coating
- Off-set wrist pin

$2989

Hell... buy your stuff up here. I'll drive it down for you.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Yeah but if he's charging $6500 PLUS labor it sounds to me like he knows he's got the dude over a barrel. You're talking $8000 for a stock motor. No way in hell would I pay that price. NO WAY. And why the 2010 motor? Then you add in the new clutch with flywheel resurface and you're at $9000. Crazy.

I'd have Paul (DB Tuned or Mike) do up a fully built motor with some goodies for less and have local support. (if he's moving back up here)
Sorry for the confusion, those prices are OTD estimates, i.e. they include labor. Apparently the '10 short block is slightly revised and includes a warranty. Towing the car back to norcal isn't really an option, I'm already paying for a rental car and the fee for that rental car each day plus towing to norcal there and back will negate any savings (if there was any to begin).

Last edited by bsbretly; 07-12-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:31 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I found several different shops here and on nasioc that will do built blocks for a lot less with warranties.

This was quoted from just one of them
ML500 2.5L
This is our entry-level block but certainly up for the task of holding big power. Light years better than a standard Subaru short-block but lacks some of the finer details of the ML500+ line. This is a great choice for those looking to have a stout daily driver but with the ability to turn the wick up when needed.
Recommended Power: 400-500WHP, RPM: 7200

New Factory Block
New Factory Nitrided Crank
New Factory Bearings
New Factory I-Beam Rods
Forged Pistons
- 4032 forging offers quiet operation with strength
- Chromoly Wrist Pins
- Anti-friction skirt coating
- Off-set wrist pin

$2989

Hell... buy your stuff up here. I'll drive it down for you.
Are you looking at the vendor classifieds on nasioc? How reliable are these aftermarket motors? Does the price include the entire longblock, or are other components needed? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Retired War Hero

Car Info: .gifs
did you call apollo performance? sounds like you are definitely getting raped on prices. rebuild your current and replace what's broken, don't get tempted into all the possible upgrades. they are a honest and fair shop, plus they're in first place for street awd and fwd in time attack right now.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?q=...85322607190104

Quick Reply: Seized engine: need recommended shop to diagnose/repair in Socal (Irvine area)