SCCA Solo - Sunday, February 25, 2007

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:42 AM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
Due to a missing cone , the box at the end went from something which would have been slow to a "just nail the gas and hang the hell on" move...the car would likely stick there better than you think!

The key at the box entrance was to pick up a cone to focus on (I used one I picked out on course walk, sort of the entry cone to the first wall there) and just focus on finding it (and driving around it).

As for driving style at GGF (always, but especially in the wet) : it is a place that rewards driving patience and smoothness, and quickly punishes jerkiness in car inputs.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:35 PM

Car Info: White Z33
Originally Posted by xtremeyolks
Lol you should have come out yesterday. So much fun in the rain! I was doing e-brake turns and drifting everywhere hehehe. You should come out and i'll sponsor you so you can drive. Oh yea drtofu nice to meet you too! Sorry we didn't have more time to talk

Karlton
I have a feeling I would get somewhat owned in the rain... but yeah, mike and I wanna go with you guys sometime to check it out sometime. Let us know!

ChiShi
Old 02-27-2007, 07:38 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by Impala SS AutoX

STX may have been infested by Subies, but looks like a FERD won the class
LOL a Taurus SHO beat teh subarus, sounds like a good mtn sled. i want to see it!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:14 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
Originally Posted by drtofu
Xtremeyolks, great times! The announcer was calling out your moves during your final sideways rally demonstration.

I was on a brand new setup, so hopefully I'll get faster through the year.

I'm still replaying the track in my head trying to figure out how I could have gone faster... treat it like a rallycross track, maybe? That wet asphalt almost felt like dirt, especially with all that gravel out there.

Where'd you ebrake? My guesess: into the decreasing radius loop and then again at the right jog after the straight coming out of the loop? That tricky box at the end caught me up on all my runs, too.
I just used the e-brake towards the end of the decreasing radius loop, as I felt that the front end wasn't biting too well so I used the rear of the car to point the front in the direction that I wanted to go, then just powered out(gotta love AWD!) For the rest of the course I just used the right pedal to get the rear end around. Smooth inputs like Ed said are definitely the way to go at GGF.

The box at the end was pretty tricky. I did exacly what Ed said, just pick a cone and go for it. The course did seem really open at the end......so open I had to shift into 3rd right after the little wiggle to the left(missed 3rd my last run lol whoops)
Old 02-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
lol, sounds like fun kartlon, for the e-brake, do u just pull it up and release, no need to clutch in right? i hear the sti's have a mechanism that disconnects the engine to the wheels if we pull the ebrake ??
Old 02-27-2007, 08:32 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by SkylineR35GTRx
lol, sounds like fun kartlon, for the e-brake, do u just pull it up and release, no need to clutch in right? i hear the sti's have a mechanism that disconnects the engine to the wheels if we pull the ebrake ??
mythbusters parking lot test! but i think it does, since the STis look FWD on some rallyX turns.

But your not hardcore unless you can clutch it and slide. yes i wish i had an STi

2006 Marina Results are up FYI
Old 02-27-2007, 10:51 PM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
Actually, if I remember right what the STI does is send the power to "as much rear biased as you can" once the e-brake is up even slightly.

Yes, as Karlton mentioned you can use this to your advantage

FWIW, a WRX and STI drive quite differently in autocross due to the diffs (or at least they do in classes that require stock differentials on AWD cars, like STU or STX). WRX is more like a higher grip FWD car, whereas the STI drives much more like a higher grip RWD car.

As for Paul in the SHO, he is a helluva good driver and the SHO isn't stock. Biggest change is he has a quaife differential in it (note that STX does allow an aftermarket diff on a FWD or RWD car, just not on AWD), so it puts down the power a heckuva lot better than a stock SHO. Also, despite appearances the car basically weighs pretty close to what an 06 STI does
Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 AM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
somebody gotta give me rides next time i'm out there.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:05 AM

Car Info: 06 STI
Yea Mike I just pulled up and released. Like Ed said basically the center diff disengages I believe and you have a rwd car. I've heard of people pulling up their e-brake just a bit to do burnouts and donuts, though i'm too scared to do that myself. Plus tires are expensive lol. My first run at that decreasing radius loop I didn't think to use the e-brake and pushed in the clutch, revved it up a bit and let the clutch out. That got the rear to kick out too, but I thought i'd give the e-brake a try and it seemed to work well. Jansen you're always welcome in my car for a ride. That's the least I can do for taking all those great pics of my car!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:25 AM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JZ oo7
somebody gotta give me rides next time i'm out there.
I'd be glad to also. Just grab a loaner helmet from the trailer (if you don't already have one) and come on by. Next is Oakland on the 11th, first run group for most of us.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:39 AM

i got a SA95 helmet. first run group?!?!?! that's too bloody early for me. LOL.

just remember, if i get a ride from you guys, that just means no pictures. since i can't be in a car and shooting at the sametime...or can i? hmmm...
Old 02-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by xtremeyolks
Yea Mike I just pulled up and released. Like Ed said basically the center diff disengages I believe and you have a rwd car. I've heard of people pulling up their e-brake just a bit to do burnouts and donuts, though i'm too scared to do that myself. Plus tires are expensive lol. My first run at that decreasing radius loop I didn't think to use the e-brake and pushed in the clutch, revved it up a bit and let the clutch out. That got the rear to kick out too, but I thought i'd give the e-brake a try and it seemed to work well. Jansen you're always welcome in my car for a ride. That's the least I can do for taking all those great pics of my car!
THIS ONLY ON THE FIRST CLICK!!

Or at least, when i read about it back in 2003 it was on the first click. But any higher and you risk damaging the center diff.

Nice use of the setup

-Gagan
Old 02-28-2007, 07:03 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JZ oo7
i got a SA95 helmet. first run group?!?!?! that's too bloody early for me. LOL.

just remember, if i get a ride from you guys, that just means no pictures. since i can't be in a car and shooting at the sametime...or can i? hmmm...
Not sure if they'll let a passenger through with that rating. Basically it's expired.
You can always take pics after you ride.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:15 PM

yea, i know about 2 years ago they started going to SA2000, but do they check?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:28 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Sportwagon
Yes, they check. But you can always borrow a helmet from the motor home.

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo - Sunday, February 25, 2007