Saw a car with a flame thrower exhaust... WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Saw a car with a flame thrower exhaust... WTF!

Interesting drive down 85 in San Jose towards Mt View this morning (Driving the 300M). I see my car's twin, an 07 STi (Could have been a WRX with roof vain and STi wing and rear diffuser) I actually heard the car before I saw it. As it passed me it shot out a giant fireball from his exhaust... Not like a split second flash or anything like that, but I'm talking about a 3' foot long fireball... I tried to find a vid or something with the said fire-car but my search yielded nothing. In the 10-15 seconds that I saw the car (he was in carpool, I was in traffic) it shot out a huge flame at least 3 times (one of the times was more of a pop than a flame), but Jesus, why on EARTH was that on a street car!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpN4M...1&feature=fvwp

Here's a video that has a white Impreza shooting flames exactly the same way as the 07 STi .Don't watch the whole video, just skip to 1:09 and 1:50 to see what I'm talking about. The car didn't have any noticeable stickers that I could read (I was too far, not far enough to not be able to hear it or see the fire though!). I've never even seen race cars spew so much fire... Why was this happening? The STi was going really fast and was slowing down for a car in front of it, I'm pretty sure he was downshifting during flamage. Still no reason for THAT much fire to come out of the friggin exhaust. In all my years I have never seen more fire from a car. (unless it was on fire, lol).

On a lighter note, I saw some douche bag in a stock black Porsche Carrera with bright orange wheels, GT3 wing, and bright orange vinyl on the side. It was pretty gay. I had my camera this time and snapped a shot. lol

(Sorry for the crappy pic, I normally don't like taking pics while driving but I couldn't resist... It was that craptastic.
Attached Thumbnails Saw a car with a flame thrower exhaust... WTF!-fakegt31.jpg  
Old 03-31-2011, 09:38 AM

Second pic of the lame douche porsche. I was so sad to see that on the street...
Attached Thumbnails Saw a car with a flame thrower exhaust... WTF!-fakegt3.jpg  
Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
That colorway is a stock Porsche GT3 combo. You sure it wasn't a... well... GT3?

As for the exhaust, he might be running anti-lag. That would be enough to cause the giant flame. Go to Laguna Seca for ALMS sometime and you'll see just about every car spewing fire out the exhaust. Pretty awesome once it starts to get dark.

Oh, no cats and a fairly rich tune will do that also.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 AM

Car Info: RA Hybrid Bugeye!
well it seems like the sti probably had a non recirculating blow off valve. my homie that was part of DOHC with his white sti used to shoot 3-4 foot flames out of his exhaust because of the non recirculating blow off valve.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Stacheless Cholo

Car Info: 2005 STi
+1 on anti-lag...
Old 03-31-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Unit 91
That colorway is a stock Porsche GT3 combo. You sure it wasn't a... well... GT3?

As for the exhaust, he might be running anti-lag. That would be enough to cause the giant flame. Go to Laguna Seca for ALMS sometime and you'll see just about every car spewing fire out the exhaust. Pretty awesome once it starts to get dark.

Oh, no cats and a fairly rich tune will do that also.
The vinyl wasn't even straight... That's how bad it was. Also, wouldn't the GT3 have nicer brakes? (hard to tell from the photo but he did not have GT3 brakes. He) Also, the car looks off... Maybe it was a real GT3 that was in an accident and someone bought cheap parts and paint and did a half *** job? Or it could be a Porsche ricer which is more likely.

In regards to the flames... It was pretty brilliant in terms of light/fire/output... There was a ton of fire, not just running rich (AKA UCKK Fireballs). I suspect anti-lag, but why on EARTH would ANYONE drive their car through rush hour traffic while shooting flames at people is beyond me.

Anyone know who's car this is?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 AM

Car Info: 2006 sti
if the porche is a real gt3 its slow. ive ran into him 2x coming back from SJ. both times ive played with him in the sti and both times he got his poop pushed in.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

I didn't actually look at your pictures, but it is a stock colorway. Maybe it is a krauter, who knows. Who really cares? It takes all kinds.

As far as anti-lag on the street... I've done it.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 AM

This is the car he was trying to impersonate:

Fail!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by nation
if the porche is a real gt3 its slow. ive ran into him 2x coming back from SJ. both times ive played with him in the sti and both times he got his poop pushed in.
Indian dude? yeah, def not a real GT3, a real one would have roasted you. (Well, I don't know what mods you have, but if you're close to stock you would have gotten your *** handed to you if it were real. A GT3 is a REAL LIFE race car... A friggin race car you can drive daily. The car that I took a pic of was a very, VERY cheap knockoff.)
Old 03-31-2011, 10:13 AM

Car Info: (sold)2004 WRB STi, MY05 WRX Wagon
+1 on anti-lag system...that or running super rich which causes a backfire/afterfire or whatever you wanna call it...needs to be tuned up

My old carb'd motorcycle shoots flames like nothing...which reminds me, i need to tune it up...ahaha
Old 03-31-2011, 10:15 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by brucelee
Indian dude? yeah, def not a real GT3, a real one would have roasted you. (Well, I don't know what mods you have, but if you're close to stock you would have gotten your *** handed to you if it were real. A GT3 is a REAL LIFE race car... A friggin race car you can drive daily. The car that I took a pic of was a very, VERY cheap knockoff.)
GT3s are awesome cars, but they are not *that* fast

layout: Rear Wheel Drive
engine: 6 cyl 3.6
Transmission: 6-speed manual
maximum power: 381 bhp @ 7400 rpm
torque: 385 Nm @ 5000
acceleration: 0-62 in 4.5 secs
top speed: 190 mph
suspension: Front: McPherson strut suspension
Rear: LSA multi-link suspension
brakes: Six-piston monobloc aluminium fixed calipers at front, four-piston monobloc aluminium fixed calipers at rear, discs internally vented and cross-drilled
kerb weight: 1,455 kg
Old 03-31-2011, 10:17 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

They aren't exactly fast in a straight line. They are fast in a curved line. Or several curves of varying directions and severities strung together.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:25 AM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
anti lag doesnt create that big/long of a flame i thought. When you said 3 foot flame 1st thing that came into mind was a flame kit lol
Old 03-31-2011, 10:28 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

It sure can. Our old GpN car would do it. You're dumping unburnt fuel into an exhaust system that is hot!

Even rich with no cats will do it.

Ohhhh, flame kits like the hot-rodders. Those are cool!

Quick Reply: Saw a car with a flame thrower exhaust... WTF!