Saturday drive, 12/28 Geysers and Dirt

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 11:45 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally posted by iBlueVirus
..... Could you email me or post the route for me? I would really like to visit that route. pics look SICK!
now think about it Leo, if I were to do that, I couldn't put a rally there, could I- no..... but I think a TSD rally on these roads might be in the works, stay tuned!
Old 12-30-2002, 12:53 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
yeah, that's what I was asking about... tsd rally... how about our first baic rally for next year? I like that snowy one a lot! thanks pete!

Originally posted by psoper
now think about it Leo, if I were to do that, I couldn't put a rally there, could I- no..... but I think a TSD rally on these roads might be in the works, stay tuned!
Old 09-12-2003, 09:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Thumbs up

When's the next one?
Old 09-12-2003, 09:30 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
yeah, I like to take my REX offroad sometimes as well, so keep us posted on the next run.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: silver MIAMI wrx in the bay area
sweet..... looks hell fun. i might wanna join you guys. this looks like a great b-day gift for myself from my wrx. hee hee.

eric.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:49 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Can this be done within the next month or two on newish ES100s?
Old 09-12-2003, 11:07 AM
VIP Member

We already are in the planning stages of our next drive over here:

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...threadid=30918

Although this one is going to be a 2 day trip.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:50 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally posted by dahveed
yeah, I like to take my REX offroad sometimes as well, so keep us posted on the next run.
if you folks wanna get your cars dirty, there's always hollister hills SVRA. lots of fire roads. although sometimes going fast is a no-no.

we did this last year and those who came like it.

i need to take my truck out for a test run before i take for a big of road trip in a couple months.

nice safe place. nice views. all the dirt your can handle. legal. plus the drive just to get to HH is a killer 2 lane curvy uphill road. something to satify everyone.

cost $4 to get in for the day. it has flushing toilets and domino's might even deliver pizza.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: WRB WRX 2003 Subaru Sedan
WOW
Old 09-12-2003, 03:14 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX/05 Legacy
I'm scared to drive with you again Pete, you like gravel, dirt, and mud WAY too much. I would prefer tarmac myself
Old 09-13-2003, 12:09 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

I'm down to do a one-day event, like the one on 12/28, or some Hollister action, but I'm not down with TSD rallies.

I like going sometimes fast, sometimes slow off-road, but I like it for the virtue of exploring offroad, not for being consistent with my mph & isht.

I just don't want to high-center, hit my oilpan/tranny/diff on a rock, or intake water into my engine, that's all I ask of myself!
Old 09-13-2003, 09:04 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally posted by dahveed
I'm down to do a one-day event, like the one on 12/28, or some Hollister action, but I'm not down with TSD rallies.
Have you done any TSD rallies? (sorry if you did one of mine and I forgot who you were, but....) they aren't all boring and slow- there are different formats, some allow you to drive whatever speed you want to, but most good ones get you on really fun roads.

There are a few things I don't like about "follow the leader" style drives;

First not everyone is comfortable at the pace that others like to drive, and in fact some people simply shouldn't be driving as fast as some other people are- I remember an incident after a Lafayette BBQ where one of our more esteemed members had his car seriously damaged because he was trying to keep up with a pack at a pace that was a little too fast.

Then there is the legal situation, if CHP comes across a string of cars following each other at speed on their bumpers, they are generally going to want to be kinda harsh on everybody.

It also makes it somewhat difficult to plan where the crew is going to be when, especially on longer tours, it's good to know you will be getting done at a certain time.

And if your driving on an unpaved surface, following the car in front too closely means you are eating serious dust the whole drive.

A tight schedule and cars being spread out by a minute or two- at least from my perspective- makes a TSD rally more enjoyable for me than a follow the leader drive- even when I get picked to be leader.

I like going sometimes fast, sometimes slow off-road, but I like it for the virtue of exploring offroad, not for being consistent with my mph & isht.
I like going fast as much as anybody (ask anyone whose gone on a drive with me) and I don't like going off-road, that is for Jeeps and monster trucks, but unpaved roads... that is where the subaru is in it's element. However, exploring unpaved roads alone carries risks that are greatly alleviated by travelling with a group.

Hey, if you don't care for the idea of trying to hit a target average speed, you might enjoy helping to write or work a TSD rally- you get to drive the roads- at your own pace, and still socialize with the crew, we can always use more workers!

I just don't want to high-center, hit my oilpan/tranny/diff on a rock, or intake water into my engine, that's all I ask of myself!
That's why I got diff gaurd and skid plate, and left my silencer and snorkle hooked up.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:17 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by psoper
That's why I got diff gaurd and skid plate, and left my silencer and snorkle hooked up.
Ah-ha! More is revealed! Next thing we know we'll find out he's got a Vishnu Stage 3 under there!
Old 09-13-2003, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: WRB WRX 2003 Subaru Sedan
Every great rally driver needs a skid plate. I'm so jealous.

I love the idea of a timed rally. But without a co-pilot it'll be difficult.

souldn't we be posting on the other thread. The one about next drive.

Quick Reply: Saturday drive, 12/28 Geysers and Dirt