Samsung ultra-slim LED TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by sigma pi
LCDs put some heat out though
nothing like a plasma! my LCD gets pretty warm, but my buddy's Plasma could heat a small Russian family in Siberia.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:16 PM

Car Info: 04 wgn
when you're deciding on technical capability of a tv, like 240Hz sampling rate, consider what device you will be using to actually transmit at 240Hz signal. No consumer devices even transmit at 120Hz as far as I know ( does ps3?) , except for maybe high end video cards; thats really not much of a selling point imo.

the better contrast is a selling point, and since these tv's still locate their lightsouce at the edge of the screen like todays LCDs rather than right behind the screen, you can see where there may be some improvement to come with the next generation LED tvs. I would wait personally.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:17 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by evsoul
nothing like a plasma! my LCD gets pretty warm, but my buddy's Plasma could heat a small Russian family in Siberia.
yeah those are winter only TVs
Old 05-14-2009, 06:33 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Originally Posted by so steezy
Alot of people are afraid to get plasmas but I HIGHLY recommend Pioneer Elites. Dont be afraid to buy them since Pioneer has stopped making plasmas. you WILL NOT be disappointed. If something goes wrong with your Elite, they can still service it eventhough they dont make them anymore.
QFT ^^^^^

Get a 9g Pioneer Elite, not the Kuro cuz they lock out all the good tuning features, and it's a ***** to have an ISF calibrator tune your Kuro just right. The elite will provide the best picture imaginable provided it's calibrated by a pro.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:08 PM

Car Info: *WiDe AnD LoW*
Elites are actually one of the only flat screens out there that are pretty damn close to being perfectly calibrated fresh out of the box.

aghhh, I should of bought an Elite instead of the Samsung LN46a850
Old 05-14-2009, 07:20 PM

Elites are actually one of the only flat screens out there that are pretty damn close to being perfectly calibrated fresh out of the box.

aghhh, I should of bought an Elite instead of the Samsung LN46a850
I should have bought one as well, but due to a silly, and long story that isn't worth relating, I ended up with a simpler tv instead. Sony 37" XBR6 LCD for only $1000 back in August.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:23 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
my samsung is the ****... I cant even look at old school t.v.'s anymore. They look to blurry.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:57 PM
banned

Car Info: 2004 STi

Last edited by C89ZX7R; 05-22-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:33 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX (RIP) // 2007 STi "OMGASTI"
laser hasnt arrived yet, we'll c
Old 05-14-2009, 09:43 PM

Car Info: a car
Originally Posted by C89ZX7R
So is the led tv better than the laser tv?
led tv = lcd tv with edge backlighting. nothing too new here. there are lcd tvs that have local backlighting like the samsung series 9 or sony xbr8.

laser tv = rear projection with lasers as the light source. still gotta deal with the issues of rear projection like convergence.

imho, after you decide on a set, you should get it professionally calibrated. it makes a world of difference. but don't just get anyone. geek squad techs are isf certified calibrators but they may not have that much experience tweaking sets. some really good calibrators will do tours and you can make an appointment with them. downside is that calibration is expensive.

if you really want to research this more, check out http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv lots of good information there. also, there's a lot of knowledgable people on http://www.avsforum.com
Old 05-14-2009, 09:51 PM

Car Info: a car
ack. should have checked some of my facts. samsung doesn't have a series 9 anymore. they did awhile ago. travesty. the ln46a950 and ln55a950 were great sets.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Also know that the samsung LEDs out right now, 6000, 7100, and 8000 series are NOT true LEDs. The upcoming 9000 is a TRUE LED TV. The other ones out right now are edge lit LEDs (similar to LED backlit LCDs). I personally find the 240hz alittle annoying but everyone is different. I have to install these everyday so my eyes have adjusted.
Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
yeah the fast refresh rate looks too much like a CGI image
great for maybe games/sports but looks weird when watching a movie
If you can afford it then get the best TV you can buy.
It's like buying car parts, buy it right the first time
my friend has a 120hz...it's so annoying! the actors look like theyre floating around, and action scenes look sooo weird i cant explain it.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by alwu
led tv = lcd tv with edge backlighting. nothing too new here. there are lcd tvs that have local backlighting like the samsung series 9 or sony xbr8.

laser tv = rear projection with lasers as the light source. still gotta deal with the issues of rear projection like convergence.

imho, after you decide on a set, you should get it professionally calibrated. it makes a world of difference. but don't just get anyone. geek squad techs are isf certified calibrators but they may not have that much experience tweaking sets. some really good calibrators will do tours and you can make an appointment with them. downside is that calibration is expensive.

if you really want to research this more, check out http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv lots of good information there. also, there's a lot of knowledgable people on http://www.avsforum.com
QFT ^^^^ avsforum = av geek's bible. That forum is priceless even for a 100% complete n00b. Just look for a forum section for the tv you're interested in, or the brand, and read up on it. They know more than you EVER will. Also like alwu said, there are really experienced pro calibrators on that forum who do tours, and you can book them to do your tv/surround sound setup when they're in your neck of the woods.

Also, LED is still mostly marketing for the moment with all the LCD tv's out using LED backlighting. OLED is the true LED tech and it's beautiful, but it's going to be very expensive for a while, and they're figuring out how to make it large enough for the consumers who have the money for a 60" OLED tv.