Sales Tax on Used Car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 11:57 AM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Sales Tax on Used Car?

Does anybody know what the state's policy is regarding how or if you pay sales tax when buying a used car from another private party?

And incase you couldn't read between the lines, what I really mean is how can I weasel my way out of paying sales tax when I buy a used car.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 96 Impreza L Sedan
Just have the bill of sale say a couple hundred dollars instead of the real price. Then you go to the DMV and pay tax on that amount. Just gotta make sure the seller is ok with it. Just don't get caught.
Cody
Old 04-21-2003, 01:22 PM

I think they actually check to catch really blatant stuff like that. A few people have taken a couple of thousand off the actual sale price, just don't go around making it obvious. Also, consider what will happen if something goes wrong - what if the car's a lemon and you want your money back? That bill of sale is gonna say $10k rather than $15k...might be more of a headache than it's worth.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:27 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Thumbs down

Don't you just love double taxation?
Old 04-21-2003, 03:38 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
So they charge tax when you go to register the vehicle under your name?

And we're talking about 8.25% of ~$19,000 here. So $1570 goes to the focking government.

<rant>
so let me get this straight, when my employer pays me for my services, the governtment takes 20% of it. when i go to buy something, the government takes 8% of whatever i buy. if i invest in stocks and make a profit, the government takes over 50% of it. if i decide to buy a house, i get to pay a shltload of tax on the payments for that because god knows that i won't be able to afford the whole thing because of all the ***-ripping i've previously been given by the government. now that i've paid off that home loan and i'm 55 and no longer need to live in a house that big (and pay more property taxes on property that big) I want to move into a smaller, more affordable house. but no. the ****ing government takes over 50% of whatever money i make by selling the house that I paid for with the wages that the government already ***-raped me for. so i say **** IT. from now on, i'm going to stop messing around and just give all my wages to the government. i'm also going to let the government live in my house, let the government drive my car, i'm going to give the government free gas for my car, i'm going to do the governments's work for them and pay them for letting me do their work, and finally i'm going to bend over when ever the government wants and let them #@$* me in the @#$ and let them take shlts on my chest and head right after they are done gouging my innards out to make more room to hold their money.

</rant>
Old 04-21-2003, 04:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Originally posted by Steppin Razor
So they charge tax when you go to register the vehicle under your name?

And we're talking about 8.25% of ~$19,000 here. So $1570 goes to the focking government.
Yup...I just went through this on my miata. Tax and title transfer on a $3600 car was $312.

Bring lube man...those little DMV wimmen are mean!