Sacto: Race fuel/100+ octane

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 05:19 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by
There is a place that aparently sells "Race Gas" next to Back 40 BBQ off of Orlando and Riverside in Roseville...
What type of shop is it?

Have you seen the Sport Compact Car's Oct-2004 issue, Dave Coleman's editorial page on page 26, yet? He talks about swapping stock WRX (mostly) suspension parts onto his dad's Forester XT.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 08-24-2004, 06:27 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
What type of shop is it?
I have no idea. I was hoping someone else knew something about it. I just drive by it alot and see the "Race Gas" sign.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
I beleive S-Squared can get VP Race Gas, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe Scott can chime in on this one.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:14 PM

Origami posted by Kostamojen
I was hoping someone else knew something about it. I just drive by it alot and see the "Race Gas" sign.
Next to a BBQ joint, hmm. I'm picturing two cross-eyed guys sitting out back, stoned off of the fumes, mixing 87 octane pump gas with a heavy dose of paint store toluene in a purple plastic wading pool shaped like a turtle.

--
0==WW==0
Old 08-24-2004, 11:46 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
Next to a BBQ joint, hmm. I'm picturing two cross-eyed guys sitting out back, stoned off of the fumes, mixing 87 octane pump gas with a heavy dose of paint store toluene in a purple plastic wading pool shaped like a turtle.

--
0==WW==0
Maybe I should have said "Next to the BMW Motorcycle dealership" LOL!
Old 08-26-2004, 07:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
91/100 mixing chart

Here is a chart for mixing @ the pump.

I talked to the guy in the store and he said they would have the 100oct 4-Ever!!!!! I was like 4-Ever huh...he's like yeah, let me know if your car runs any better. Well 1st he asked me if I had a Porsche...no-no I said.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
thanks for the chart lance. maybe scott can make a gas door sized sticker of that.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:17 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by kidatari
I beleive S-Squared can get VP Race Gas, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe Scott can chime in on this one.

yes, we can get the whole line of VP, but it has to be in 5 gallon drums.. sorry.. no pumps at the shop :P
Old 08-27-2004, 01:16 AM

Car Info: R.I.P. '02 WR Blue Pearl, Hello '05 OBP STi
So do you guys run your tanks down to fumes before filling up on this 100 octane? Co-workers have told me to use it in the WRX once in a great while to clean out the the engine and stuff. Anyone have any expert advice on this? Because really, I'm down to get one tank to try it out.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:12 AM

Origami posted by WRXRambo
So do you guys run your tanks down to fumes before filling up on this 100 octane?
I'm not an expert but I don't think that's necessary. I'd probably run it down to 1/8 of a tank, add in the desired amount of race fuel and then fill the tank with premium pump gas to achieve the desired final R+M/2 octane number to match race gas map tuning.

Just don't add in 3 gallons of race gas to top off a nearly-full tank and expect it to mix thoroughly enough to change the octane of the rest of the gasoline.
Co-workers have told me to use it in the WRX once in a great while to clean out the the engine and stuff. Anyone have any expert advice on this?
It's the additives in fuel, not the octane, that help remove moisture in tank and lines and remove deposits from injectors and combustion chambers. You'd be better off buying a concentrated product like 20 ounces of Chevron Techron.

--
0==WW==0
Old 08-27-2004, 08:34 AM

Origami posted by FostersAFB
I though all that stuff was just a gimick? Like injector cleaners, water rmovers, techron, and now new shell V-power? IS there any legitimacy to the claims made by those manufacturers?
I think that gasoline is made at only a few refineries, mostly by the big oil companies - I doubt that 7-Eleven refines their own.

Water in gasoline probably gets there at the point of sale if the underground tanks are not maintained. I've seen tankers refilling gas station tanks in pouring rain. There's nothing but a padlocked steel cover over the filler opening that is clamped by the tanker hoses. The covers are always removed prior to refilling so that the driver can maneuver the hose around. The underground tanks can also develop leaks which can allow fuel to escape into the ground water and vice versa, although periodic EPA-mandated replacement is supposed to prevent this.

The additives are probably proprietary. Although I can't verify this information, Techron is supposedly one of three additives approved and recommended by BMW for use in their engines to control fuel system and combustion deposits. Red Line makes the other product and BMW repackages Techron under their own label (and sells it at a higher price). A Google search turns up a bunch of hits.

None of these in-tank additives are as effective for fuel injectors as an off-the-car cleaning, though.

--
0==WW==0