Sacramento EGT gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 10:06 AM

Car Info: 2003 SRP WRX Wagon
Sacramento EGT gauge install

i was hoping someone could suggest the best place to have a professional drill and tap the manifold for my EGT probe.

i have omori gauges and have read that the best location for the probe is about 3" away from the #3 cylinder on the exhaust manifold.

took the car to a mechanic to have him do it and he said that it would be better to buy an aftermarket up pipe with a EGT bung already.

now im confused.

which is the best way, and where is the best place to get it done?

thanks in advance
Old 05-07-2003, 10:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
berteluccies (i KNOW i butchered the name) Kosta had a thread about these guys maybe 1-2 weeks ago, he swears by them. Also might want to try the new shop, S-Squade in think is the name?
Old 05-07-2003, 10:32 AM

Car Info: 2003 SRP WRX Wagon
thanks dorifto88,

yeah, barsotti's is doing the downpipe as we speak, but that was the mechanic that said to get an aftermarket up-pipe instead of drilling the exhaust manifold.... thats why im not sure what to do. everything ive read says it needs to go into the manifold...

i'll try that other place you suggested too

thanks man
Old 05-07-2003, 10:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
Originally posted by SacWagon
thanks dorifto88,

yeah, barsotti's is doing the downpipe as we speak, but that was the mechanic that said to get an aftermarket up-pipe instead of drilling the exhaust manifold.... thats why im not sure what to do. everything ive read says it needs to go into the manifold...

i'll try that other place you suggested too

thanks man
np
hopefullly some of the other sac guys can recommend other people to you, as im not the best person to explain technical stuff haha

EDIT
although..if you are willign to drive down some..MPJ performance in Hayward is the shiznito bang boom! They are far, but there prices alone offset the gas money needed sometimes
There number is (510) 487-4447
Talk Gino, it might be worth the drive for you

Last edited by dorifto88; 05-07-2003 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:22 PM

Yeah MPJ does good work for decent prices but as Dorifto dude said about the gas prices vs. the $$ saved is another issue as the drive to Hayward and back will eat up some gas and time on the road.

Nate@S-squared just quoted me a price of $50.00 bucks and hour for installing stuff. I have some motor & tranny mounts on the way. So I will weigh the cost difference of MPJ +gas+my time vs S-squared and then make a decision.

As far as the placement of the EGT probe in the manifold vs up-pipe I think the guy didnt give you all of the information (or maybe you didnt post it all or maybe I am confused too) but..yeah I bought an EGT sensor and adapter so that it could be installed on the aftermarket up-pipe when it got installed. Most agree that the manifold is the more precise placement of the probe though.. but none the less the VDO EGT probe (installed on the up-pipe) and gauge serves my wrx just fine.

Steve

p.s hope this helps