View Poll Results: Rude or not rude?
Yes, that's rude
76.12%
No, that's not rude
16.42%
Other
7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Rude or not Rude? Please vote in the poll!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Rude or not Rude? Please vote in the poll!

Here's the scenario:

You are married to a wonderful wife and you two own a home (or rent, whatever). Your wife has a 20 year old cousin who sometimes stays over.

When she comes over, without asking, she helps her self to anything in the house, things that belong to my wife, and things that belong to me that obviously do not belong to my wife since my wife is on a strict diet and only eats low sugar/calorie/fat foods, and the cousin knows this. I find this really annoying because she does it without permission like its her own house.

Last time she was here I called her out on it and she got all mad... She comes over again yesterday and does the same damn thing again... Then when I ask her what she's eating she lies to me so that I don't get mad.

My wife thinks this is perfectly fine since she is family (NOT MY FAMILY!), I however disagree. I find it disrespectful and very classless.

Put it this way, when you go to someone's house (That is not immediate family, and use my scenario) do you go through their things without permission? When they leave you there unattended, do you help yourself to anything and everything in the kitchen/where ever there is food. I know I most def DO NOT, if I'm thirsty I'll ask for a glass of water, and if I am left unattended, I will ask for water in advance while they are still there. My parents raised me with manners which is more then I can say for some people.

Pretend this is your scenario, is this rude or not?

PS: Normally I'll offer her most things in the house, however there are some things that are off limits and rare, things I have to have my friends over seas send me, so you can see why I'd deny her. If she was real family or a really good friend I wouldn't mind, but she isn't.

Last edited by brucelee; 03-27-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:16 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Old 03-27-2009, 08:18 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
i totally agree with you. i think it's extremely rude, even if it were my cousin. i actually have a cousin like your wife's cousin. it's really annoying....

Originally Posted by Ballz
There is no poll...
lol i was going to say the same thing, but it came up after i hit refresh.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:22 PM

To those that vote not rude, I simply don't understand how it's not rude.

She comes into my house and without permission of ANY sort she helps herself to anything and everything, including items that she knows damn well are mine, and are specialty items that can't be bought here in the states. If she offered herself drinks and some typical snacks I'd understand, but she goes through my stuff! She is not my family, and she's not even really close to me.

Would you go to someones house and ravage through their things without asking? Going through things that you know aren't your friends' things, yet their roommates stuff instead. This is cool? You would do this?

I don't know about you, but when I go to someone's house I don't help myself to anything, if I'm thirsty I will ask for a glass of water, or if I'm hungry I will ask if there are any snacks, however I will not go through anyones things. I don't even go through my sisters stuff and she is immediate family.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:34 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Deffinately rude. I kinda deal with the same thing with my sister in law (older brothers wife). She steps waay out of boundaries because she is "family", but Im like wtf? I hardly know you. Oh well.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:37 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
I would like to know... what is the situation of this girl? If she is in a hard situation, you should be more sympathetic to her needs. She is 20 years old, so can I assume she is a college student or has a low paying job?

She is family to you now because you married into her family. That is part of the unwritten contract of marriage.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:39 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
what a ****!
Old 03-27-2009, 08:41 PM

Car Info: Honda with a wing =P
Depends on the situation, for me its like anyone that comes over whether it be friend of family are welcome to my food and drinks as long as they clean up after themselves and don't make a mess and I let that be known, you came over and I had something you wanted to eat or drink at my house, I don't mind you getting some especially if its a mutual thing. But in you situation its different, she don't, you're not cool with it, and she even lies about it when she gets called out on it. Which is ****ing rude.

but........ is she hawt?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 PM

Some would think she's hot, she's very photogenic, but I don't think she is in real life. Sorry, I dont have any pictures.

I'm going to have my wife read this thread after its done.

Last edited by brucelee; 03-28-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:52 PM

Car Info: 2013 SWP BRZ
Yea, i totally think that's rude especially if you guys aren't even close. I can totally understand if that was your sister's sibling. I let my bro in law eat/ drink whatever he likes cause I consider him family.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:52 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
I say...

Stick a fork in her neck and put her on the curb as a warning to others.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by rau
what a ****!
Good old rau to tell it like it is.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Overbear
I say...

Stick a fork in her neck and put her on the curb as a warning to others.
hahahah, a pitchfork/trident?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:16 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
definitely rude...i don't like people who have no idea of personal space or property.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:24 PM

Car Info: '14 Wrx Hatchback
rude, yes however my mother-inlaw is a monster and can do no wrong in my wifes' eyes long story short you get married and you merry every rude,crude, insane member of the family...... good luck!

Quick Reply: Rude or not Rude? Please vote in the poll!