rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:47 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Did you see the hatch running chains? Dude was driving slow as hell!!!!

And yeah... snow was DEEEEEEEP!!!!
Was the you in the silver Impreza hatch? Thats the only subie I saw with chains while I was eating lunch at my WRX.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by wrxisthebest
Was the you in the silver Impreza hatch? Thats the only subie I saw with chains while I was eating lunch at my WRX.
Never mind, ya that hatch was smiling and staring at me when hey passed by.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
Ya, I guess their family cabin is right around the corner we from my house. Surprised I have to gotten a knock on the door with the CF hood bugeye out front lol.

Was my first go this year and was completely worth it. Wish lower mountain was open with all the pow pow but safety is key, can't wait to go again.

And definitely just drove up there, come across slow people just be patient, you'll get there and you'll be in one piece. Seen to many people in a rush cause an accident causing the road to be closed for at least an hour, especially when the road is only a 1.5 lane road in those conditions.
Will def keep an eye out for you & your car from now on then. Easy to spot w/ CF hood.

And we weren't in any rush, but that hatch had plenty of room on the right. It was one of the straighter sections of 4. Plus, lots of the fresh snow was pushed off on both sides. Was just odd that he choose to drive smack in the middle, essentially straddling the lanes for each direction.
Never mind, ya that hatch was smiling and staring at me when hey passed by.
We were Subie-less last wknd. We rode up to Bear in Justin's crewcab truck. Just got word that Jordan will be getting pow lines tmrw thru Sun. I'm thinking of joining him on Fri... maybe even Sat too.

Oh, and the hatch running cables on the fronts was dark grey and had a cargo box on the roof. I saw them in the loading area at the end of the day. When I noticed a kid in the car seat in the back, I was relieved that he turtled it up there. But as I said, he just gotta give room for others to pass more safely.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:49 PM
VIP Member

Sad news outta Squaw today....

Incident Statement: January 24, 2017 | Squaw Alpine

Although the loss to their patroller was not due to an avalanche, the reminder to ski/ride with a buddy remains just as strong.

From Sierra-at-Tahoe's website on powder safety...
https://www.sierraattahoe.com/mounta.../#PowderSafety

Partner Up!

It is critical to ski or ride with a partner who remains in visual contact at all times. In many cases, some of the deaths which have occurred due to tree well or deep snow immersion incidents may have been avoided had:
  • the person been with a partner
  • the partner saw the person fall and
  • the partner was close enough to assist digging the victim out in a timely manner.

It does NO GOOD for your safety if you are under the snow and your partner is waiting for you at the bottom of the lift. If you have any question about what a “timely manner” is to assist someone in a tree well or deep snow, hold your breath now as you are reading this and the amount of time until you need air is approximately how much time your partner has to help get you out of danger. Other factors such as creating an air pocket or the nature of how you fall into the well may extend this critical timeframe.

VISUAL CONTACT means stopping and watching your partner descend at all times, then proceeding downhill while he or she watches you at all times. IF YOU LOSE VISUAL SIGHT OF YOUR PARTNER, YOU COULD LOSE YOUR FRIEND.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by boardoholic
Will def keep an eye out for you & your car from now on then. Easy to spot w/ CF hood.

And we weren't in any rush, but that hatch had plenty of room on the right. It was one of the straighter sections of 4. Plus, lots of the fresh snow was pushed off on both sides. Was just odd that he choose to drive smack in the middle, essentially straddling the lanes for each direction. Never mind, ya that hatch was smiling and staring at me when hey passed by.
We were Subie-less last wknd. We rode up to Bear in Justin's crewcab truck. Just got word that Jordan will be getting pow lines tmrw thru Sun. I'm thinking of joining him on Fri... maybe even Sat too.

Oh, and the hatch running cables on the fronts was dark grey and had a cargo box on the roof. I saw them in the loading area at the end of the day. When I noticed a kid in the car seat in the back, I was relieved that he turtled it up there. But as I said, he just gotta give room for others to pass more safely.
[/QUOTE]
Yes it happens, people feel safer at the center when driving in snow but as you stated, move over and really slow down when there is a line of cars behind you and allow them to pass.

So two subies with cables in one day, hmmm.....Odd, don't see that too often up here.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:23 PM
VIP Member

yeah, as we were leaving on Sat, we noticed lots of other peeps exercising caution--i.e. a truck and an SUV were running chains too. Better safe than sorry, eh? Can't knock 'em though cuz it obviously helped em get there safely. And who knows? They may have stayed the nite someplace btwn the resort & Arnold where they didn't plow the side roads at all.

Oh, and my phone 's blowing up right now cuz a handful of us are looking to make a run up there on Fri and/or Sat to join Jordan on his powder-hunting seshes tmrw thru Sun! Haha
Old 01-24-2017, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by boardoholic
yeah, as we were leaving on Sat, we noticed lots of other peeps exercising caution--i.e. a truck and an SUV were running chains too. Better safe than sorry, eh? Can't knock 'em though cuz it obviously helped em get there safely. And who knows? They may have stayed the nite someplace btwn the resort & Arnold where they didn't plow the side roads at all.

Oh, and my phone 's blowing up right now cuz a handful of us are looking to make a run up there on Fri and/or Sat to join Jordan on his powder-hunting seshes tmrw thru Sun! Haha
Ya trucks and SUVs I'm use to seeing around here. Locals rarely chain up their subies, kinda a thing around here lol. Most think they are invincible and just go for it.

Wish I could go. Gotta work around the house and got a local car club meet to attend Saturday @ 3.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:32 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Yeah man. I'd rather see people being safe than being retarded.

This dude was a trip. Every time someone would go to pass the dude would drift even more into the center. Had zero awareness. Was depressing. LOL!

As for us. We rarely have the subies up there anymore. Usually my brother white jeep patriot. Whole passenger side is dented to ****. Got hit by a deer. My dad's sprinter... huge white 4x4 sprinter with a pop top and a huge rack on top. Justin's blue truck.

Jordan's up there all week.

Sounds like Cliff is gonna ride Friday and possibly Sat.

I don't know if I'm gonna get up there or not. Got a wife and 2 kids to keep happy and funds are tight. But I might try and fly up on Thursday with Cliff and come home Sat night. Or head up Friday night with my dad and come back sunday. I'd rather take Friday off and be home sunday. Who the hell knows.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:33 PM
General Pimpin'

As spring gets here and after I get my wheels painted and get some new tires on there I'll drive every now and again.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:21 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Funks
I have an STI with Snow tires, the problem is pretty much everyone else that's not prepared (lot of people seem to go to that tubing place / snow recreation place in the middle). The two chain control area's basically create two backups - when I went through there a couple of weeks ago, it took me 6 hours to get to Sierra (one way).
D'oh! I missed your post amidst all the fun we had on Sat at Bear and getting the stoke factor back up for another sesh out there.

Oof. Sux about the two back ups on your last trip. My guess is that the elevation lowered significantly after the first spot (where it was no longer snowy/icy maybe?), then obviously rose again to the point where chain controls were required from that point eastward.

But I'd assume if the snow level is low enough, it'd just be at one area.

And, the next times I ride Sierra, I'll ping you on here. I have 2 Tue - Thur vouchers, but can only do day trips on Wed. And I have another restricted ticket that I'm supposed to be credited for a future date cuz I rode there on Fri the 13th when they had to shut down a couple hours early due to power issues.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:32 AM
VIP Member

I don't know if I'm gonna get up there or not. Got a wife and 2 kids to keep happy and funds are tight. But I might try and fly up on Thursday with Cliff and come home Sat night. Or head up Friday night with my dad and come back sunday. I'd rather take Friday off and be home sunday. Who the hell knows.
Work out what you can, bruddah. Just keep me posted.

And don't forget Steve Dubya (AKA 2-planker) is looking roll up too.

I hope they don't open Lower Mtn till Fri. LOL. *crosses fingers* And since Jordan's gonna be laying down TONS of fresh tracks tmrw & Thur, we need Jordan to take some pics so we can live vicariously. I'm so envious.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:57 AM

As spring gets here and after I get my wheels painted and get some new tires on there I'll drive every now and again.
I'll keep my eyes open.

Yeah man. I'd rather see people being safe than being retarded.

This dude was a trip. Every time someone would go to pass the dude would drift even more into the center. Had zero awareness. Was depressing. LOL!

As for us. We rarely have the subies up there anymore. Usually my brother white jeep patriot. Whole passenger side is dented to ****. Got hit by a deer. My dad's sprinter... huge white 4x4 sprinter with a pop top and a huge rack on top. Justin's blue truck.

I totally understand. If I could afford to buy a season pass I would be up there every weekend, but since I couldn't afford it I gotta pay by the day and I usually just wait for a friend with a season pass to get me a 50% off, which hasn't happened yet this year, or a $25 lift ticket voucher(last weekend). Plus I'm still trying to find some size 11.5 ski boots so I rented them last weekend. I live sooo close to it yet I'm so far away lol!
Old 01-25-2017, 06:58 AM

Saw someone in a black blobeye going up with boards on the roof yesterday morning. Made me a bit jelly as I was heading to work.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:33 AM
VIP Member

I totally understand. If I could afford to buy a season pass I would be up there every weekend, but since I couldn't afford it I gotta pay by the day and I usually just wait for a friend with a season pass to get me a 50% off, which hasn't happened yet this year, or a $25 lift ticket voucher(last weekend). Plus I'm still trying to find some size 11.5 ski boots so I rented them last weekend. I live sooo close to it yet I'm so far away lol!
OH NO! We've got another Two-Planker in our midst! I keed... I keed. Doesn't matter how you get down the mtn. All about the having a good time out there while keeping the respect & stoke factor dialed in.

And I totally feel ya on being passless, but way tougher for ya being so much closer to the slopes than me. And it is nice to get a buddy hookup on day tickets like I did on Sat. But I didn't know one could get half off cuz mine was $56 or about 29% off. I do know the discount depends on the day of week and time of the season, and a 50% off day would be stellar!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:28 AM
General Pimpin'

I'll keep my eyes open.

Let me see what I've got in my garage. Think they're both size 11's. Both brand new though. Think my brother has a pair of Imperials from a couple years ago. Size 11.5. One of the speed zone laces busted. So once we re-string it he'll sell em pretty cheap.

For tickets... if you see us grab one of us and we'll hook you up.

My brother rides a black Burton Fish with mexican blanket print on the tail when there's powder. A skunk ape with a big *** Coors sticker on it when there isn't. Blue helmet. Usually brown goggles. Big *** beard. He's about 6'1. 200 pounds. Brown hair. Probably smells like bud. LOL!

Me. I ride a Sierra Reverse crew most days for the time being. Black helmet with a BELL sticker on the side of it. Big *** gray beard. 5'11. 235.

We both have passes and will be more than happy to hook you up. Jordan is up there all this week through Sunday.

Quick Reply: rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.