rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Yeah worst season I've ever seen and I have a 450 dollar pass sitting unused.
Aww... so I take it ya didn't ride on Sat? That'll prolly make the msg I left at the cabin that morning kinda weird. I called around 8 to give ya a headsup on the conds I encountered on Fri.

Yeah, it sux about the precip prospects. This & 2mrw mornings there are slim chances for some isolated dustings of snow. We'll have to wait til late next week for the possibility of anything significant.

Fire up the grill & wash those rides, y'all! We need powder to the people!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:24 AM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
Yeah worst season I've ever seen and I have a 450 dollar pass sitting unused.
If it makes you feel any better, I have a cabin I payed $1100 for the season that I haven't been to yet this season...

Sad panda.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by 04Impreza
I love how he was "injured" and dropped out of slopestyle yet he gets a 100 on the superpipe. Really what it was, is that he can't hang in slopestyle anymore. That showed big time last year.
It puts a completely different level of stress on your ankles doing pipe than it does for slope style. There's a lot of angular torque in pipe but you can strap down to get some of that transferred to your legs. With slope style there is a lot more straight pounding to the feet and ankles that you can't avoid.

And if I understand correctly he almost had to pull out of pipe too but he took a day off and iced his ankle and tightened up his boots.

I had heard he was putting in a lot of practice for slope style so I really wish he could have competed. I would have loved to see him SMASH everyone just to shut up the haters. People love to hate on Shaun and Burton.

I watched the whole event and was blown away with how much bigger, cleaner and more technical he was than everyone else. It wasn't even close. A couple guys were doing super sick runs but their height just wouldn't be there and they still weren't doing what Shaun did. As soon as he landed that double cork I knew we were looking at AT LEAST a 98. I think NOT giving someone a 100 because it means it doesn't get better is why people don't get them. You are suppose to be judging according to what tricks are out there RIGHT NOW. Not what might be out there next year or what someone did one time on youtube. In the olympics people get 100's... just means they did the best of what's available and they did it perfect.

That combo that he did... NO ONE ELSE IS DOING IT. And no one else is doing it 14 feet out on the last 2 hits of the pipe when most people's speeds/heights are down.

RESPECT the victory lap. Most people just throw straight airs and a easier tricks. He goes out and smashes everyone in the face with a message... I'm better than you are... still.

The dude is a savage.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 AM

Car Info: 07 Legacy GT Wagon
Last night's perfomance was effin' nuts! I loved it! That 100 was well deserved given what the other riders were doing. Ipod had a savage run, but the side by side replay clearly showed Shaun going WAY HIGHER!!! He is now officially one of my top three favorite boarders: Shaun White, Adreas Wiig, and Terje Haakonsen (the snowboarding god).
Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Dong Homez
Last night's perfomance was effin' nuts! I loved it! That 100 was well deserved given what the other riders were doing. Ipod had a savage run, but the side by side replay clearly showed Shaun going WAY HIGHER!!! He is now officially one of my top three favorite boarders: Shaun White, Adreas Wiig, and Terje Haakonsen (the snowboarding god).
Terje was a lot like Shaun. When he was on he was just so far higher than everyone else it was obvious he was the man.

My favorites are still the O.G.'s Guys like Craig Kelly and Farmer.

But yeah iPod through down a huge run. I was worried that he might match the 94. But then when shaun through down that final run he was HUUUUUGE. iPods average was I think 2.5 feet lower and he didn't throw the double cork 12.

But iPod's run wins a LOT of comps. Just not this one.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
It puts a completely different level of stress on your ankles doing pipe than it does for slope style. There's a lot of angular torque in pipe but you can strap down to get some of that transferred to your legs. With slope style there is a lot more straight pounding to the feet and ankles that you can't avoid.

And if I understand correctly he almost had to pull out of pipe too but he took a day off and iced his ankle and tightened up his boots.

I had heard he was putting in a lot of practice for slope style so I really wish he could have competed. I would have loved to see him SMASH everyone just to shut up the haters. People love to hate on Shaun and Burton.

I watched the whole event and was blown away with how much bigger, cleaner and more technical he was than everyone else. It wasn't even close. A couple guys were doing super sick runs but their height just wouldn't be there and they still weren't doing what Shaun did. As soon as he landed that double cork I knew we were looking at AT LEAST a 98. I think NOT giving someone a 100 because it means it doesn't get better is why people don't get them. You are suppose to be judging according to what tricks are out there RIGHT NOW. Not what might be out there next year or what someone did one time on youtube. In the olympics people get 100's... just means they did the best of what's available and they did it perfect.

That combo that he did... NO ONE ELSE IS DOING IT. And no one else is doing it 14 feet out on the last 2 hits of the pipe when most people's speeds/heights are down.

RESPECT the victory lap. Most people just throw straight airs and a easier tricks. He goes out and smashes everyone in the face with a message... I'm better than you are... still.

The dude is a savage.
Word. I respect the dude cause every year he works harder and harder to go bigger and throw tricks nobody is doing. And it shows.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:15 PM
General Pimpin'

Oh... and you know how we were talking about Contour snaggin T.Rice... I figured out why. LOL. GoPro went for Shaun White.

And if you think about it, it's a way better investment for advertising return. What gets watched more... ESPN or one of T.Rice's movies?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:32 PM

Car Info: 2010 WRX SWP Hatch
Went to kirkwood yesterday. Awesome sun and weather. The entire mountain was open. Lifts were all open and it wasn't too busy at all. Nice and warm with good snow throughout the morning. Soft and fluffy in some sections. It got a bit icy towards the end of the day definitely worth it.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:37 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
I'm not hating on him, he's definitely a sick rider. But he's not a god like everyone looks to him as. He's an absolute monster in the pipe, and needs to stay there. If he's been doing so much slopestyle practicing why hasn't he competed in the Dew Tour slopestyle? Does he have to prove how good he is? Not exactly, he's pretty much done that in the past including the Olympics. But does he have a future in slopestyle? I don't see it, and its not because he's not good enough its because he's focusing so much time on the pipe, not to mention all the appearances he has to do, that he's not putting enough time into slopestyle. Does that make him a worse snowboarder? Absolutely not.

Oh, Boreal is having $15 lift tickets for everyone this Friday
Old 01-30-2012, 03:51 PM
General Pimpin'

Shaun has TONS of slope style wins over the last 10 years. I think people forget that the dude is only 25 years old. He's been so good for so damn long.

Do I think he has a future in slope style... 100% yes. If he decides that's what he wants to focus on I honestly believe he can come in there and stomp on everyone.

I think you're right in that his focus has been spread over the last few years and he's put more and more time and energy in to skating but I think if he says he wants to do slope style... I'd believe him.

I used to be a guy that was like... oh white blah blah... hype blah blah. But then I watched First Decent. He was exactly who I thought he was. His lines were crappy. He was sketchy. He had no style. Etc etc etc. But then all of a sudden he sticks a friggin 40 foot cliff. Then he starts asking questions. He starts taking mental notes. He gets better.

That's the kind of dude he is. If he puts his head to it, he'll figure it out. I hate those kind of people. After watching that movie and then watching him do everything he's said he would do... I got mad respect for the dude.

So... why not ride in the dew circuit? Because he has his eyes on X Games and the Olympics. Why go out there and show everyone what you're working on so they can copy your lines and do them against you.

I think he wins gold at his next chosen even.

You can watch him slide and have some issues in like 07/08 then he gets a couple wins in 09. Then he's just not focused on it. If you read any articles in that time you'll see that since 2009 he's been focused on pipe and on skate vert. He's now dominated those two things.

I'd put money on him stomping on everyone for a couple years and then I wouldn't be surprised to see him quit and only do x games and the olympics period. He is weird like that.... he's a dominator but his heart isn't in the sport. It's in skate and in the guitar.

It's weird and I honestly don't know how to feel about it because my heart is in snowboarding.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 PM

Car Info: 2010 wrb WRX wagon
Originally Posted by 04Impreza
Here's a little footage of Cliff and I at Bear Valley Monday My apologizes for the camera being a bit rough at times.

Nice Vid. My roommate has the pants version of your jacket. love the gigantic purple hounds tooth.

Also, gonna be heading to Dodge this weekend. Anyone going up as well to practice dodging small trees and rocks in the middle of runs?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
Originally Posted by equalid
Went to kirkwood yesterday. Awesome sun and weather. The entire mountain was open. Lifts were all open and it wasn't too busy at all. Nice and warm with good snow throughout the morning. Soft and fluffy in some sections. It got a bit icy towards the end of the day definitely worth it.
Yeah I went Sunday to Kirkwood. Overall the snow was good. Kind of crusty in the bowl section in the very back because of the rain that occurred last Friday. But overall we had a great time.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:40 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Originally Posted by kyle16
Nice Vid. My roommate has the pants version of your jacket. love the gigantic purple hounds tooth.

Also, gonna be heading to Dodge this weekend. Anyone going up as well to practice dodging small trees and rocks in the middle of runs?
Thanks! I happen to have the pants aswell

I gotta email from Snowbomb about $46 lift tickets to Kirkwood Super Bowl Sunday.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:47 PM

Car Info: 2011 swp WRX
anyone doing this??
Gnarliest race ever.... I did it last year so freakin crazyyyy

Rahlves Banzai Tour

Ski race to the bottom - Daron Rahlves Banzai Tour 2011 - YouTube
Old 02-04-2012, 04:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
Originally Posted by 611X
anyone doing this??
Gnarliest race ever.... I did it last year so freakin crazyyyy

Rahlves Banzai Tour
Wow! What did you place? I don't even think I'd be able to finish.

I think it's sweet that they expanded to a multi-stop comp a couple years ago. Last season or the one before, I was @ Sugar Bowl a few days after the Banzai. When riding the chair w/ my buddy who patrols there, he pointed out to where the course ran & recounted some of the insanity he witnessed.

Quick Reply: rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.