rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 08:17 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Originally Posted by boardoholic
Well, I can no longer resist the urge to get my 1st day in, so I'll be day-trippin' it to Bear Valley 2mrw. I have a handful of weekday vouchers to burn thru, so I might as well get started, eh?

Anyone else have any SnowBomb festival tix they need to use? They're expecting close to a foot & a half up top from this evening to mid-day 2mrw. Let's roll!
I got mine When you going?
Old 01-22-2012, 08:50 PM
vaj

Car Info: 2004 Big Booty STi with a two finger gap.
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
I could argue about the lack of people comment, but not the rest of it. And it'd be pointless anyway, the amount of people still doesn't take away from the runs you can get at Kirkwood.
Truth.. Secret got out many years ago. But if people are willing to hike....

That said, a friend who works patrol there said that (finally) they were getting some good base snow. Today has been drier overall but filling the the gaps a little bit....
Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 AM

Car Info: 07 Legacy GT Wagon
I did a day trip to Heavenly yesterday. Giving that we just saw our first real storms, the snow was great! A little icy in the lower elevations, but great once you got a little higher. The lift lines weren't bad at all and there was minimal traffic on the way home (probably because of the 49er game). Chain control lasted about 15 to 20 miles. It was an awesome first trip up.

I freaking love K-wood! I'd say I've done 95% of my snowboarding there. I can't wait to make it up there. Maybe this coming weekend. Winter has finally arrived!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:42 AM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
I've never been to kirkwood...how does it compare to Northstar?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Giibo
I've never been to kirkwood...how does it compare to Northstar?
It doesn't. It stands alone! They get the most and deepest snow of any resort in Northern California and has the best terrain available. If I was making a choice to go to Flatstar or Kirkwood, I'd always chose the Wood. There is a reason I had a season pass there for 3 years. And I would drive the long way, 5 hours in snow, to get there.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
It doesn't. It stands alone! They get the most and deepest snow of any resort in Northern California and has the best terrain available. If I was making a choice to go to Flatstar or Kirkwood, I'd always chose the Wood. There is a reason I had a season pass there for 3 years. And I would drive the long way, 5 hours in snow, to get there.
Amen to that brotha! I couldn't have said it any better.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:34 PM

Car Info: 2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4 Sports Package,SOLD-05 STi
Kirkwood is the ****, period. The terrain is amazing. Started going their about 14 years ago. Crowds were unheard of in the past, even on a Saturday. Now its alot more popular, but the lines still aren't that bad even on a really busy day.

For those that dont know
Costco - Kirkwood Mountain Resort 2 Adult All-day Lift Ticket Voucher

Last edited by XxSti05xX; 01-23-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
I rode Bear Valley w/ 04Impreza (Aaron) yesterday. I pulled a major fail right from the get-go b/c I forgot to print out my SnowBomb voucher () so I had to fork over 55 bucks.

We were a li'l disappointed that more terrain was not open. Then we were bummed that the backside chair was only open for less than an hour. The liftie @the bottom of that chair said they're having power issues. When I asked a patroller later, he pretty much confirmed it telling us about getting some "dirty power" fr: PG&E.

Overall, I still had a blast for my 1st day of the season... only 6 weeks later than I wanted. The light was a li'l flat in certain spots. Fresh tracks got chewed up quick! I'm a little sore here & there since my ol' @$$ is so outta shape. Much mahalos to Aaron for making the trip funner & easier than if I rolled solo.

Although the mtn (like every other resort) was FINALLY fully blanketed in 2.5 to 4.5 feet of fresh snow w/ the 4-day storm, I understand why a lot still remains closed. The mtn is still in an early-season state. Essentially, it's what we'd expect to see in late Nov/early Dec, so patrol's gotta do their thing to mark those major obstacles or thin cover spots. Hopefully, we'll have more room to roam around our mtn playgrounds by the wknd.

For any of y'all getting your slide on soon, be careful b/c danger lurks not far below! Also, any trails that have been getting regular snowmaking over the past several weeks should be in awesome shape w/ this added powdah. Shred away!

Last edited by boardoholic; 01-24-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:22 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
How does that snow bomb stuff work? I have to turn in all my vouchers.

I was hoping to get up there this next weekend but this weeks weather sucks *****. It's more heat all friggin week and it won't be the right conditions for them to blow snow.

If anything I'll go up there on Sat to get a few turns in and drink a beer. Just get a day in my legs. I'm so friggin irritated it's ridiculous. This is the worst season I can remember in my 20 years of snowboarding.

We've had dry spells for like a month before but having it kick of the year is terrible. It basically delays us 2 months. So the season is essentially Feb/March/April.

The only thing that will make it worth it for me to have a pass this year is if we get pounded late season and they stay open later than usual.

As of right now I'm gonna be lucky to put 10 days in and that's angering to say the least. I'm hoping I can do another 4-5 day trip this year and then do 4 days in CO. That'll help me get closer to 20 which is my minimum to feel good about the year.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 PM
VIP Member

Yeah... though it sucks that us enthusiasts have such a short season, I really feel for the resorts & all those other businesses that depend on us flat-landers coming into the area.

RE: the vouchers... why do you have to turn them in? The way it works is ya bring the printout coupon voucher for each resort you visit. Once a voucher is redeemed, that particular discount is no longer valid--i.e. one-time use only.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:01 PM

Car Info: 2010 WRX SWP Hatch
planning on going up to Kirkwood this weekend. I'll try and grab some pics and stuff for people to see. Hopefully all that recent dump stays there and more snow can be made in time.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 PM

Car Info: 07 specB
getting my first of the season on Fri at Squawr finally! got a free room at GSR in Reno Thur night and hit the 2ft thats left by then! haha
Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 PM

K-wood is opening up the backside on Saturday so I'm going to day trip it. The forecast looks depressing.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
Went to Sierra today and it was AWESOME! so much snow.

^^oh and i called bear valley yesterday and they had the power fixed around 3:30pm
Old 01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
VIP Member

I'm heading back to Bear 2mrw for a daytrip. So far my call to arms thru various other channels has turned up a big goose egg.

Anyone free to get ur shred on? I'm comming fr: Vallejo but we can figure out a convenient meet-up spot.

And they've opened up a TON more since Monday, so now I'm really stoked!

Quick Reply: rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.