rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:01 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by weaver
Went to Heavenly today, Only Nevada side had a park open, but the Gondola wasn't open so we couldn't get over there Oh well at least it's snowing at Northstar right now and there is projected snow fall for the end of the week.

Here is a pic I took of Izzyidk?'s car on our way back.

Nice photo but that dude needs some wheels that fit. Especially if he wants to keep going to the snow when it actually SNOWS...
Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
lol he runs that low in the snow. true story.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:21 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by dTek
lol he runs that low in the snow. true story.
That's retarded. Sorry but it is. There's no clearance for the snow. There is absolutely no clearance for chains and technically you MUST carry chains at all times while in snow area and be ABLE to use them. You get HUUUGE fines for every checkpoint you pass while not legal if you get caught.

And that is NOT legal or safe for anyone on the road.

But if your ego is bigger than your brains more power to you... mine was and guess what... I spun and put chains on my car. That hurt my pride but it was what was safest given the situation. And I've driven in the worst imaginable situations. I am no snow noob.

true story.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:15 PM

Car Info: Bagged 2014 STi
I know my 2011 can not have chains installed on it, I always run Blizzacks for winter.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 PM

Car Info: 2010 wrb wrx hatch..2002 centurion 1993 240sx
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
That's retarded. Sorry but it is. There's no clearance for the snow. There is absolutely no clearance for chains and technically you MUST carry chains at all times while in snow area and be ABLE to use them. You get HUUUGE fines for every checkpoint you pass while not legal if you get caught.

And that is NOT legal or safe for anyone on the road.

But if your ego is bigger than your brains more power to you... mine was and guess what... I spun and put chains on my car. That hurt my pride but it was what was safest given the situation. And I've driven in the worst imaginable situations. I am no snow noob.

true story.
proper tires+awd is best, if the roads are soo bad where an awd vehicle and snow tires can not get through it isnt safe for anyone, no need to throw my ego in this. its my car i like it the way it is =)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
I really hate being "that guy" but if the weather outlooks I'm looking at hold true, late Fri & into Sat we could be looking at lift closures. They're calling for some serious wind & significant snowfall totals for the 2nd wave. Plus, the snow will be much denser since it'll be drawing in tropical moisture by then as temps bump up almost 10 degrees. Let's Tebow that the lifts are only on hold for a short time.

But hey, at least we're getting the stuff we so desperately need. The next 2 weeks starting on overnite 2mrw will be music to our snow-loving ears! We're in for a dramatic change as Tahoe will transform into the winter playgrounds we're used to seeing!

Last edited by boardoholic; 01-17-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by FRAWSTI
I know my 2011 can not have chains installed on it, I always run Blizzacks for winter.
No Chains is correct. Cables are what need to be run. And you must carry them in your vehicle. If you are stopped and not carrying chains/cables, it is a $400 fine once past a chain control check point.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:18 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by izzyidk?
proper tires+awd is best, if the roads are soo bad where an awd vehicle and snow tires can not get through it isnt safe for anyone, no need to throw my ego in this. its my car i like it the way it is =)
That applies to trying to get into and out of a resort. I hope you don't try to make it to a cabin somewhere up there in a snow storm. We had to jump up onto a foot and a half embankment in order to get to our cabin last year. Your car never would have made it up that at that height. But whatever floats your boat.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by boardoholic
I really hate being "that guy" but if the weather outlooks I'm looking at hold true, late Fri & into Sat we could be looking at lift closures. They're calling for some serious wind & significant snowfall totals for the 2nd wave. Plus, the snow will be much denser since it'll be drawing in tropical moisture by then as temps bump up almost 10 degrees. Let's Tebow that the lifts are only on hold for a short time.

But hey, at least we're getting the stuff we so desperately need. The next 2 weeks starting on overnite 2mrw will be music to our snow-loving ears! We're in for a dramatic change as Tahoe will transform into the winter playgrounds we're used to seeing!
This is what I expected. I was talking to my coworker about it. I basically said that I'm not even going to get my hopes up for another 2 weeks. This first storm is doing exactly what I'd hope it would do.

There is NO COVERAGE. We get 2 feet of killer fluffy snow and people are gonna get excited and run up there with pow boards forgetting that the rocks are 3 inches under their boards.

What we NEEEED is a huge dumping heavy wet storm. Build the base up. Once we get a solid 2 feet of base then it's game on. Time to ride.

Right now it's a huge waste. Season pass or not. I haven't gone up yet. I'm thinking maybe weekend after next.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:07 PM
VIP Member

This is what I expected. I was talking to my coworker about it. I basically said that I'm not even going to get my hopes up for another 2 weeks. This first storm is doing exactly what I'd hope it would do.

There is NO COVERAGE. We get 2 feet of killer fluffy snow and people are gonna get excited and run up there with pow boards forgetting that the rocks are 3 inches under their boards.

What we NEEEED is a huge dumping heavy wet storm. Build the base up. Once we get a solid 2 feet of base then it's game on. Time to ride.

Right now it's a huge waste. Season pass or not. I haven't gone up yet. I'm thinking maybe weekend after next.
Great minds think alike, I was thinking the exact same thing.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:51 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn

Great minds think alike, I was thinking the exact same thing.
Yeah, Ray. I can already picture the fools poaching in on closed runs just cuz it looks like pristine pow. I'll admit though that I was a fool as I've found myself being greedy & sneaky a couple times (mind you this was years ago as a n00b... way before I had even met the SubaBrew crew). Once @N*, me & my cousins hit the lower sections of closed runs off Vista & encountered some shrubs, dirt n' rocks nipping up at us like li'l reef sharks. The last time was @The Wood when I ducked off the groomer only about 2 or 3 trees deep and got a nice base gouge.

So stoked that our 1st real storm has that base-building high-H20. One forecast model has a good 2 ft dropping in on Fri-Sat. The higher elevations & peaks may get close to 3.

That said, I'm considering riding Bear next wknd... Fri the 27th & maybe Sat the 28th. Gonna wait out the forecast. I'll keep y'all posted!

Last edited by boardoholic; 01-17-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 PM
VIP Member

It has begun...

These radar returns over the Sierras should be changing from green to blue anytime now. Tick tock tick tock...

http://www.letstalkweather.com/cgi-b...?zipcode=95678

Last edited by boardoholic; 01-24-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: changed [img] link to [url] link
Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
let the snow fall
Old 01-19-2012, 03:49 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by izzyidk?
I'll put ego aside. You're fine to love your car the way it is. It's your car. I'm just stating the facts.

Yes proper tires + awd is the best. You however do not have "proper" tires on your vehicle or a safe wheel clearance for snow driving conditions.

You are still REQUIRED to carry chains and be ABLE to install them. And by chains I mean cables. No on puts "chains" on their cars anymore. Heavy trucks and tractors sure but not cars. You could not get cables on your car. If I was working a post and was checking tires/cables I'd turn you around. I'm just trying to look out for you. Sucks to get spun around at the pass. And I'm looking out for the safety of those on the road around you.

All ego aside... facts is facts.

As for conditions where you'd need chains... in california they're rare but run in to a few situations where I've been asked if I have chains. And I've been in a few situations where i've needed them and/or should have used them.

Last year I spent about an hour driving in snow deep enough my bumper was in it the whole time. I've driven in snow up to my doors before. If you're doing day trips the chances of needing anything serious are slim. If you're up there for days at a time the chances increase. I'm just stating the law.

So... are you ever going to need to put chains on your car if you're running true snow tires. Probably not. Will you be asked if you have chains. It's very likely. Especially if your car looks like yours. I'm just trying to help you avoid getting turned around and given a fat fine.

Fines go up for EVERY post you pass on the way up if you're caught without them.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:51 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by FRAWSTI
Chains no. Cables yes. Blizzacks or not, you're required to have cables in the car. $50 is better than getting turned around and/or given a ticket.

Hell.. crab some at a flea market that don't even fit. Just have some in the car to avoid the ticket. That was mainly my point. And yes I have done that before.

But these days I carry some that fit... just in case. Ice without studded tires... not getting up that driveway without chains.

Quick Reply: rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.