rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
Not icy. From what I heard, the day before was icy because of a slight rain. But Saturday was ok. Groomed, man-made snow definitely hurts more when you fall.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 PM

Car Info: 2013 BRZ
Been snowboarding all week in Big Bear! The snow is great! Best snow in the country right now. Sad that other resorts are hurting so badly.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:19 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX base - SWP
I haz season pass to Northstar and Heavenly. Kirkwood gave out free lift tickets to other season pass holders at the beginning of the season. Northstar was great on the 19th. Even backside black diamond was decent, for light snow and groomed snow.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:10 PM

Car Info: 2011 swp WRX
I was at kirkwood yesterday, pretty good in the morning, chair 6 is open from top to bottom, icy in the afternoon, good for me as a skier but boarders were hurting..
and they're keeping the airbag for another week...
oh and the drive was amazing..
Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 PM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
Where's OUR RAIN????
Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
wow, without those two man made snow strips it could be summer

Old 01-05-2012, 02:51 AM

Car Info: 03 wrx
Originally Posted by Krinkov
wow, without those two man made snow strips it could be summer

looks like i just wasted $350 on a season pass to alpine and squaw...i still haven't used it yet...-___-
Old 01-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by steeze
looks like i just wasted $350 on a season pass to alpine and squaw...i still haven't used it yet...-___-
yeah even the extended 10-day forecast doesnt show a drop of rain, I also feel sorry for all the resorts and small businesses that depend on the ski season, this must be a complete disaster for them
Old 01-05-2012, 11:40 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
I could go wakeboarding in january
Old 01-05-2012, 11:42 AM

Car Info: 07 specB
Originally Posted by steeze
mines been pinned to my whiteboard in my bedroom for over a month!
putting together a "go find some snow trip" soon with suby4justin, sister in colorado and dad+multiple friends in the NW...must.shred.soon!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:43 AM

Car Info: Frankenstein 02' PBP STi :P (RIP) 2016 WRX
Originally Posted by scoo*B
mines been pinned to my whiteboard in my bedroom for over a month!
putting together a "go find some snow trip" soon with suby4justin, sister in colorado and dad+multiple friends in the NW...must.shred.soon!!!
whaaa?!?!?!?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:54 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
I didnt spend money on a pass, but I did waste a good $250 on snow tires, plus a tank of gas there and back to get them >
Might get some light snow this wednesday but I doubt it will be much
Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 AM

**** this ****
Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
Originally Posted by dTek
Might get some light snow this wednesday but I doubt it will be much
Hmmmm.... not sure what source you're seeing this prediction esp. since it's for just a few days from now, but that would be nice to get a dusting. The longer-range outlooks that I've been seeing show virtually ZERO precip til Thursday the 19th. When computer models are for weather events >10 days out, however, I wait til it's closer to 3-4 days before I really get my hopes up.

Anyway, if y'all don't already check out this Tahoe weather discussion, be sure to bookmark it!
Tahoe Weather Discussion - No Hype Lake Tahoe Weather

Also, here are a couple scenarios from snowforecast.com:
Long range forecast / discussion...January 13 to 16

--We will be waiting until after mid January for storms. Toward mid January (next weekend), the ridge across the western US starts breaking down as an arctic front and strong jet stream push south out of Canada across most of the country. The degree to which high pressure across the eastern Pacific weakens will determine how much snow is possible with any snow storms that affect the northern Sierra. It does looks like there will be somewhat limited moisture available from off the Pacific in this pattern, with mostly light to moderate snowfall potential through most of late January. That is one possible scenario.

We could instead see a ridge of high pressure further north into western Alaska, with an undercutting jet stream and long fetch of Pacific moisture pushing into the Sierra Nevada (the Pacific fire-hose as some have called it). If this happens then we will see wet Pacific storms into the Sierra Nevada with close-call snow levels (relatively mild air due to the source region off the milder mid Pacific Ocean waters), from around the 15th/ 16th and lasting for a week or longer. This second wetter scenario sure would help to balance out the dry patterns we have seen so far this winter. This could set up a very good base of dense snow pack and a lot of water (what we wanted to see in November and December).

There are many things that can happen, but the main message that all of this points to is that we do expect changes over to a more winter-like pattern. Either way, we will take it. As we enter February (and possibly sooner) we could see heavy snow storms with a good fetch across the more northern (colder) Pacific. We are watching closely, and hoping just as much as everyone else that we get to see some good snowfall very soon.

As others have mentioned, I really feel for the resorts & all those other folks that depend heavily on us flatlanders flooding into the area every season. Like them, I'm just as disheartened by the "picturesque vistas" of white strips of death on our beloved playgrounds.

Sucks that they didn't get their typical holiday traffic, but now it looks like they'll be missing out on another money-making wknd next week during the MLK holiday.

Instead of shredding the asphalt on my Freebord, maybe I'll pitch in by heading up before these predicted storms roll in. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:02 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Rode Boreal Friday and actually had a lot of fun. Spent half the day teaching my cousin the other half on their top to bottom runs. Didn't hit a icey patch till the end of the day and that was on one of the steeper downhill part and no more than a foot long.

If anyone is curious on how a Capita Ultrfear holds up outside the park, it kills I was really surprised how well the edges held up especially how fast I was going on heel/toe edges. Passed my friends up every time even when they had a good 50ft lead on me. I'm really starting to like Boreal. Might not be the biggest, but they hook us up and put out a quality product.

Quick Reply: rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.