rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Car Info: Frankenstein 02' PBP STi :P (RIP) 2016 WRX
Northstar started making its snow for the year!
Old 10-28-2011, 02:33 PM

Car Info: 2011 swp wrx 5dr
Originally Posted by getkong
I have the same pass. Gonna try to get at least 15 days there this year, along with other resorts and Utah/Whistler.
nice!

hoping to be able to ride whistle some day...

the goal is to get 30+ days this season...just like last year
Old 10-28-2011, 03:59 PM

Car Info: 2005 wrx
I am planning my big snowboard vacation for new years.
My girl and I usually stay at the cabins in Northstar but after 3 years that's getting old:
we did the south shore thing before that too.
We are thinking of going to Salt lake City this year, is this a good idea? We have never been to SLC (parkcity), is this a good idea or should we stick to Tahoe....
Old 10-28-2011, 04:14 PM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
Originally Posted by owencalouro
My girl and I usually stay at the cabins in Northstar but after 3 years that's getting old:
We are thinking of going to Salt lake City this year, is this a good idea? We have never been to SLC (parkcity), is this a good idea or should we stick to Tahoe....
Whistler!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM

Car Info: '11 WRX DGM hatch
A bunch of my college buddies are scattered all over the country, so we decided on SLC for a trip. It's in the middle of all of us, and the resorts are close enough to the airport where you don't have to bookend your trip for travel.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:49 PM

Car Info: 2005 wrx
I would love to do Whistler, (it was my 1st choice) but for that time of year its over 2k a person for 5 nights for just hotel and flight
SLC is 550 a person.
If I am gonna go to Whistler, I would go after the new year. cheeper and less crowded.
I just dont want to get to SLC and it be like a Donner or Mt Rose, when i could be at Kirkwood or Northstar.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
I rode today at borel today! On the way back now
Old 10-29-2011, 10:39 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
I heard it was going to be open this weekend but Im working. how was it? Just saw some pics of Squaw and there is litterally NO snow on the ground not looking good for a Nov. 18th or whatever opening day.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:29 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Originally Posted by dTek
I heard it was going to be open this weekend but Im working. how was it? Just saw some pics of Squaw and there is litterally NO snow on the ground not looking good for a Nov. 18th or whatever opening day.
It could've/should've been better. Boreal has a decent amount of snow scattered all over (man made) but this weekend the run they had open was way too narrow and small. Had to be about 200-300 people riding (or trying to ride it) at once, commute traffic on a snowboard pretty much. Ill take "egh" snowboarding over no snowboarding all day, but I was mad at myself for taking so long to get confident to actually try little things

They're talking about opening up again next weekend (which is why they only had one run open) since it'll be cold enough to make snow and they're suppose to get some natural snow towards the end of the week I believe.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:40 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
I rode today at borel today! On the way back now
was it worth the 3 hour drive? lol

im surprised you're gonna take your car up there, it looked so clean today
Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
I would love to do Whistler, (it was my 1st choice) but for that time of year its over 2k a person for 5 nights for just hotel and flight
SLC is 550 a person.
If I am gonna go to Whistler, I would go after the new year. cheeper and less crowded.
I just dont want to get to SLC and it be like a Donner or Mt Rose, when i could be at Kirkwood or Northstar.
That won't be a problem, with very few exceptions, the ski resorts around SLC are WAY better than the lesser ones at Tahoe and in my opinion are better than the best tahoe has- if not in terrain for sure in terms of snow quality.

but I'd skip Park City, way too touristy and overrated, kind of like the heavenly of Utah (without the spectacular Lake view), instead check out the cottonwood canyon resorts- Snowbird, Alta, Solitude, and Brighton- if you are stuck at Park City, spend a day or two at The Canyons, its a far better mountain than PC or Deer Valley.

But I'd be on the lookout for deals at Whistler, as you noticed, right now might not be the best time to book, but we used to get some amazing deals on packages there once we're past the holidays, and their early season can be kind of dicey anyway on account of low base elevation and high moisture content in their early season snowfall.

Other places you should consider- Jackson Hole Wyoming, (EPIC mountain), Grand Targhee Wyoming/Idaho, Big Sky Montana (Also very awesome), those three are all within 2-3 hours from each other and are probably my 3 favorite mountains in the US (that I'd publicly admit anyway- my real favorite is a secret!)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:41 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Hatchie
Originally Posted by psoper
That won't be a problem, with very few exceptions, the ski resorts around SLC are WAY better than the lesser ones at Tahoe and in my opinion are better than the best tahoe has- if not in terrain for sure in terms of snow quality.

but I'd skip Park City, way too touristy and overrated, kind of like the heavenly of Utah (without the spectacular Lake view), instead check out the cottonwood canyon resorts- Snowbird, Alta, Solitude, and Brighton- if you are stuck at Park City, spend a day or two at The Canyons, its a far better mountain than PC or Deer Valley.

But I'd be on the lookout for deals at Whistler, as you noticed, right now might not be the best time to book, but we used to get some amazing deals on packages there once we're past the holidays, and their early season can be kind of dicey anyway on account of low base elevation and high moisture content in their early season snowfall.

Other places you should consider- Jackson Hole Wyoming, (EPIC mountain), Grand Targhee Wyoming/Idaho, Big Sky Montana (Also very awesome), those three are all within 2-3 hours from each other and are probably my 3 favorite mountains in the US (that I'd publicly admit anyway- my real favorite is a secret!)
I lived and worked in Park City, and it's worth it if you don't mind crowded runs, lines, and it being really expensive. It's a massive resort with pretty much everything, the best place I've ever been too when it's not crowded.

Snowbird and Alta were always the places we went and they are both awesome, and once you've done Utah powder, everything else seems kinda crappy.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:35 PM

Boreal is opening Friday 9-4 for $15 and 9-9 everyday after that for $35 (for now). Castle Peak Quad will be open Friday, but nothing specific on what features will be there. Hoping they have atleast 2 runs open to spread everyone out.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
So I know a couple peeps are volunteering at next wknd's SnowBomb expo in Sta Clara. Anyone hitting up the SF one @Ft. Mason this wknd? I'll be there on Sun getting my brew on!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by boardoholic
So I know a couple peeps are volunteering at next wknd's SnowBomb expo in Sta Clara. Anyone hitting up the SF one @Ft. Mason this wknd? I'll be there on Sun getting my brew on!
I should be there too Cliff (SF Mason/Sunday). Was suppose to go Saturday with some friends but they want to go Sunday instead.

For anyone else volunteering, me and my friend got the 4-8:30pm shift Sunday the 13th in Santa Clara, in case anyone else has the same shift

Quick Reply: rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.