Roadies... what roof rack are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:46 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
Roadies... what roof rack are you using?

Hey everyone,

I am in the market for a roof rack for my Cervelo S1, but I need some opinions on what would be my best option.

Thule vs Yakima vs Inno
What rack will work best/safest? etc.

Let me know your opinions and experiences.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2011, 12:50 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
i use a yakima raptor i think... use that over anything else cause it works with all of the many bikes i have.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
I prefer the Yakima HighRoller. Thule SideArm is a close second, but I like how the HR has two full arms to hold the wheel (more leverage), as well as a cable lock to secure the bike. The SA arm locks down, which is supposed to secure the bike, but I find it to be more frustrating to use and it seems less secure. I'm also a strong proponent of the round bars so naturally the Yak will be a better option if you are already using round bars. The Yak tray is much beefier than that of the Thule, which probably isn't a critical feature since thats a rare point of failure, but I just wanted to put that out there.

Cliffs: Yak is better because
1. Better arms - it has two, and they attach on both sides for more lateral strength.
2. The mounting system to attach to the cross bars is better.
3. Better locking system.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:18 PM

Car Info: 07 STi, 02 F150-FX4, 04 ZX-636, 07 990 SuperDuke
Originally Posted by akdmx
I prefer the Yakima HighRoller. Thule SideArm is a close second, but I like how the HR has two full arms to hold the wheel (more leverage), as well as a cable lock to secure the bike. The SA arm locks down, which is supposed to secure the bike, but I find it to be more frustrating to use and it seems less secure. I'm also a strong proponent of the round bars so naturally the Yak will be a better option if you are already using round bars. The Yak tray is much beefier than that of the Thule, which probably isn't a critical feature since thats a rare point of failure, but I just wanted to put that out there.

Cliffs: Yak is better because
1. Better arms - it has two, and they attach on both sides for more lateral strength.
2. The mounting system to attach to the cross bars is better.
3. Better locking system.

+1 on the HighRoller, it holds the bike pretty darn well.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:32 PM
plays well with others

i take it back, mine is a highroller (just checked) and i love it
Old 04-02-2011, 10:59 PM

I was looking at the High Roller earlier when looking at the specs of various systems. It's just expensive. eff
Old 04-02-2011, 11:12 PM

Car Info: 05 Aspen Wagon
I have a Thule Big Mouth as well as a Peloton...
Old 04-02-2011, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Baoser
I have a Thule Big Mouth as well as a Peloton...
Experiences?
Old 04-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Originally Posted by Turbo Rob
I was looking at the High Roller earlier when looking at the specs of various systems. It's just expensive. eff
Yeah, it's expensive.........but how expensive is your bike?
Anyone who's lost a bike off a roof-mount rack that's not implemented well will tell you - money well spent.

I personally prefer fork-mount racks, as there's a more solid mechanical connection there and less leverage with the weight of the bike brought closer to the roof, but the High Rollers are pretty slick and take care of front wheel management - I've never (at least on a Yakima round car setup, which I prefer) found a good set of wheel forks - they'll always rotate down to sit on the roof under load/speed. Lost a wheel off one, too, but that was a freak thing and it was for a cheap bike, but I stopped after the 3rd different wheel holder had the same types of issues. I also think it (slightly) lowers the theft risk if there's not a complete bike sitting up top, but that's probably just a placebo on my side.

If you don't want to yank the front wheel, or don't want to carry it inside, go with t he full bike carriers from Yakima, they're put together better than the Thule stuff from what I've seen.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by sybir
Yeah, it's expensive.........but how expensive is your bike?
Anyone who's lost a bike off a roof-mount rack that's not implemented well will tell you - money well spent.

I personally prefer fork-mount racks, as there's a more solid mechanical connection there and less leverage with the weight of the bike brought closer to the roof, but the High Rollers are pretty slick and take care of front wheel management - I've never (at least on a Yakima round car setup, which I prefer) found a good set of wheel forks - they'll always rotate down to sit on the roof under load/speed. Lost a wheel off one, too, but that was a freak thing and it was for a cheap bike, but I stopped after the 3rd different wheel holder had the same types of issues. I also think it (slightly) lowers the theft risk if there's not a complete bike sitting up top, but that's probably just a placebo on my side.

If you don't want to yank the front wheel, or don't want to carry it inside, go with t he full bike carriers from Yakima, they're put together better than the Thule stuff from what I've seen.
Yeah I have a stupid expensive bike. When I was looking at the racks I was thinking that fork mounted would be sturdier. It is not a hassle for me to take off the front wheel, and I have no problem leaving the wheel in my car so that is not holding me back. What fork mount do you use?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:51 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
Yakima Viper, Copperhead, or even the newer "Sprocketrocket".
Old 04-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Sprocket rockets are the new pimpness, but I'm still really happy with my Vipers. Only thing they don't like is Marzocchi Bombers, it's a tight fit - but I've yet to find a rack that does like 'em. No issues with a road bike, period.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:57 PM

Car Info: 2006 Subaru WRX Limited
I have 2 Yakima Forkmount Vipers on my roof for my wife and my bike. I have a full carbon setup that I trust in my Viper.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by mattselig25
I have 2 Yakima Forkmount Vipers on my roof for my wife and my bike. I have a full carbon setup that I trust in my Viper.
Sweet. That is great to hear sense I want to protect my Cervelo! I would cry if I lost it while driving.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:44 AM
plays well with others

Originally Posted by Turbo Rob
Yeah I have a stupid expensive bike. When I was looking at the racks I was thinking that fork mounted would be sturdier. It is not a hassle for me to take off the front wheel, and I have no problem leaving the wheel in my car so that is not holding me back. What fork mount do you use?
the Speedvagen rides on a Highroller... that answer your question?

Quick Reply: Roadies... what roof rack are you using?