Road Trip and Rear Bumper Skin

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 11:13 PM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
Road Trip and Rear Bumper Skin

Well, I made it 2600 miles in 3.5 days in my WRX....yep, DROVE all the way (via the "southern route" = I-10 and I-20) from the Bay Area to my parent's place in Huntsville ALABAMA.

Man, there is a SERIOUS lack of Subies in the USA! Once I left Cali, I saw exactly ZERO WRX's (and only one Impreza....in Dallas, quite obviously NOT an i-club type person ) on the road the entire way across the USA. Yep....zero, nada, zilch, NONE! Only WRX I've seen since then was on the dealer lot in Huntsville (drove by there tonight by coincidence).

At any rate, car performed well.....that's the good news.

The BAD news is that I got REAR ENDED on I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson on Saturday . Fortunately, only at about 3 MPH and the car was still completely drivable (as in, ZERO mechanical/structural damage) afterwards.

However, the rear bumper cover, my black bumper cover top (the Subaru one on the wagon, says "IMPREZA" on it) and my license plate frame are TOAST. I THINK the structural bumper underneath is undamaged.

At any rate, does anyone know :
  1. How much the rear bumper cover costs? (2002 Wagon)
  2. Does it come pre-painted from Subaru? (car is Plat Silver Met)

Fortunately, the guy stopped and was very apologetic. Gave me all his info, no problem. So insurance (his) should cover it. However, if the cover comes pre-painted I'll probably just install it myself and pocket the labor $$$.

Hoping the rest of the vacation goes better

Last edited by Impala SS AutoX; 12-23-2002 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:27 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
I dont know about the rear one but the front bumper skin for the GGA is $188 and does NOT come painted from Subaru. Since the rear one is far less complicated, it should be a bit cheaper, but you will have to have it painted. You should be able to put it on yourself however. Good luck in your dealings w/ the insurance company.