Ridiculous California Laws

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 06:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon x2
Ridiculous California Laws

I'm sure everyone can come up with one or two, there are SO damned many out here. When I moved here last summer, I immediately noticed a few things. The longer I live here, the more I see. For example:

$8.00 "recycle fee" when buying covered electronic devices. I'm not sure I understand this one. I bought a TV, I didn't throw one away. What the hell do they recycle when I buy an electronic device?

Posting up the signs notifying people that a business carries products known to cause cancer. Woo freaking hoo. Might as well put stickers on everything that causes cancer too so we can stay as far away as possible. Wait, then they might start charging us a sticker fee. Idiots.

Your turn.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:14 AM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
Firearms.
Speed limits.
taxes.

I like the ones that don't apply to me, but hate the ones that do.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:39 AM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
The recycle fee is a frontloading fee. Recycling a CRT or PCB is VERY expensive (due to the large amount of heavy metals contained therein), and required (as well it should be). So you pay the $8 up front instyead of ont he backend, which is device which lets them get teh money now so they can build the facilities required to recycle your TV when you get rid of it in 5 years. If we only collected at the end, how would the recycling facilities get built? Frontloading fees like this is very common when there is a high liklihood that a consumer will not take the time to properly recycle an item that MUST be recycled.

As far as the cancer warnings. Its makes the world cleaner. The reasoning behind the law is that companies regularly fight any kind of regulation on their products, even when that regulation would make them much safer (by not including cancer causing agents). So, instead, we look to an economic force, which is the only force a company will truly listen to. By requiring a clear, large sticker on products that contain cancer causing agents, consumers may think twice when there is a similar product available that doesn't have the sticker.

Its actually been a wildly successful law, and has resulted in many products going 'carcinogen free' when the companies that made them had previously said it could never be done. Its only idiotic to people who don't know the reason for its existence.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:51 AM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Originally Posted by hatchy
Firearms.
Speed limits.
taxes.
word.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by resident smurf
word.
Well speed laws are there for a reason.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:11 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Some lady sued the government or somethin' for "Taxes that I'm apart of" deal. Meaning she didn't pay taxes of things that she wasn't apart of, and she won. And the IRS couldn't make her pay. I forgot where that thread was...
Old 07-11-2005, 01:40 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
lol... CA is supost to be the hippy state... but yet we have alot of laws that gets in the way of "stuff" WHAT HAPPEND U 60's sell outs that took office?!?!!?!
Old 07-11-2005, 02:09 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by hatchy
Firearms.
over the weekend, i got a workbook that people use to take the POST (police officer standard test, IIRC).

this 150 page book was just for weapon violations.

holy cow. i wasnt even halfway done with it and my mind was spinning already...
Old 07-11-2005, 02:13 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by kellie

$8.00 "recycle fee" when buying covered electronic devices. I'm not sure I understand this one. I bought a TV, I didn't throw one away. What the hell do they recycle when I buy an electronic device?
this is supposed to cover all cleanup from the TV, computer monitors, LCD, etc that people dump into the dumps.

granted, KALIF could just have a program where you can drop off unused stuff like that at a drop off point or something.

i had to recycle my parents 20 year old TV last year. cost $20 at a metal recycling place.

one more weird law? when you use your wiper blades, you are suppose to turn on your headlights...

this is a new law for 2005...
Old 07-11-2005, 02:36 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by ldivinag

one more weird law? when you use your wiper blades, you are suppose to turn on your headlights...

this is a new law for 2005...
thats not that weird....anytime its raining your lights should be on
Old 07-11-2005, 02:56 PM

Car Info: 06 Evolution IX MR Graphite Gray
Originally Posted by ucbsti
thats not that weird....anytime its raining your lights should be on
Yeah? What about when you activate your window washers? Should you turn your headlights on before you clean off your windshield?

-Bis
Old 07-11-2005, 03:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: SCBYDON
just don't drive in the rain, and always clean your windshield to avoid having to turn on your headlights
Old 07-11-2005, 03:12 PM

I read that law once, and i seem to recall it saying to use your headlights when you are in conditions where percipitation require use of windshield wipers. Not everytime your wipers are on, you have to have your headlights on.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:18 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Originally Posted by Bismarck
Yeah? What about when you activate your window washers? Should you turn your headlights on before you clean off your windshield?

-Bis
that doesn't count.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:35 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
what if your car turns on the wiper by itself, a lot of high end cars have "rain detecting" wipers, can they ticket you if you don't get the lights turned on?

This is one of the stupidest laws I've heard, I can see it being an old 1930's thing, but to hear that its a new law, for crying out loud don't they have better things to worry about?

Quick Reply: Ridiculous California Laws