The Return of the King (review + spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 07:08 PM

Car Info: 2006 Spec.B
The Return of the King (review + spoilers)

Holy ****, I got so damn lucky and went to the press screening last night at the Metreon. It started at 7:10 and easily ran to 10:15 for the full movie. They didnt show any previews and got right down to business.

This movie rocks.

Hard.

The movie has at least 3x the special effects as the last two movies combined and they spend a great deal of time making it look great... and it works. I only felt there were two shots that looked hokey. One with Legolas looking all CG taking down a huge elephant like creature, and a final shot of the Hobbits at the King's crowning ceremony.

Everything Gollum looks fantastic. The movie starts in the past with how Smeagol found the ring in the first place, and follows him transforming into Gollum over time.

Shelob was fantastic, and creepy as all hell. They did a great job with this. It is a bit out of the book timeline but is actually more correct from the appendicees standpoint. It fits better into the movie as well.

Saruman was not shown at all. This takes out the 'Terminator' type ending of the book. The shire is left untouched and we see Sam integrate back into Hobbit life, while Frodo struggles. I actually prefer this ending as it fits better as a 'movie' to me. I look forward to the deleted scenes on the DVD.

Not much Liv Tyler action, sorry.

In the realm of all three movies, I prefer this one visually to all three, but story and 'movie' wise I still feel the first is the best. It will get an Oscar nom for Movie of the Year.

Thats all I can think of at the moment.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
sounds cool, cant wait to see it
Old 12-09-2003, 07:26 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Metallic Silver
I heard you can go to LA the day is opens I think and they'll have the 3 movie special. They're going to play Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, and Return of the King in order. Hehe so you'd have to clear out like your whole day to see that. Just what I heard not so sure if its true or not.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:43 PM

Car Info: 2006 Spec.B
They have the same thing going on at the Metreon on the 16th. I had a ticket but gave it to my roommate when I went to see this last night. Tickets for the all-day event sold out in a few hours .

Originally posted by Azjon
I heard you can go to LA the day is opens I think and they'll have the 3 movie special. They're going to play Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, and Return of the King in order. Hehe so you'd have to clear out like your whole day to see that. Just what I heard not so sure if its true or not.