Results: Evo vs STI shoot out May 8th

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 07:53 AM

Thumbs up Results: Evo vs STI shoot out May 8th

We had a nice showing for Subbys @ the track.........all in all 5 STI's and 3 Rexs ran.....Only 2 EVOs showed.......

Fastest Evo Posted a 12.38@113 mph..........mods R Vishnu stage1+(HKS 272 CAMS,Turboback exhuast,Xede C16 race tune)

Fastest STI Posted a 12.56@109.7 mods, Turboback exhuast/Xede C16 race tune

Goes to show All this hype about how FAR faster EVOs r ain't all its cracked up to be.

The two fastest Cars WERE gonna show down at the end of the night, but the race track closed Early.......there will be a next time.

Hope to see u guys there

Last edited by MARKSTI; 05-09-2004 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:34 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Yeah, but another way to look at it was that it was still quick enough and fast enough to beat the best STi that day, even with less displacement.

Also, both cars were sporting tuning by Vishnu, who finished 5th overall in Car & Driver's One Lap of America shootout sharing driving duties in his EVO.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 05-09-2004, 09:09 AM

But the STI had ONLY exhuast/Xede ..no cams, running 18.5 lbs of boost compared to 23 psi on the EVO......the thing is, both cars were holding back for the final race, which never happened because of the track closing early...

The Sti had enough power as indicated by the MPH to hit a 12.30/12.40..but i never got my last run or two.........the Evo maybe a 12.20 or so.

BTW Vishnu........WOW what a job on the C16 tune.
Hope these times quiet a few people down on bashin them.

Both cars R great..and with the right parts both can be made to kick some V8 ***.

Last edited by MARKSTI; 05-09-2004 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
Originally Posted by MARKSTI
Goes to show All this hype about how FAR faster EVOs r ain't all its cracked up to be.

uhmm... what hype about how FAR faster EVOs are? never heard of it. stock vs stock , the STi beats the EVO. But As far as I know with the right aftermarket parts, EVO is more capable of squeezing out big hp than STi. I don't think I need to mention the handling dept of EVOs.

Both cars are great but I still think EVO is a lot better in terms of OVERALL performance. Where as STi.. well, the interrior is pretty, 6spd and the DCCD are cool.. Thats for sure.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Originally Posted by 1fastGC
uhmm... what hype about how FAR faster EVOs are? never heard of it. stock vs stock , the STi beats the EVO. But As far as I know with the right aftermarket parts, EVO is more capable of squeezing out big hp than STi. I don't think I need to mention the handling dept of EVOs.

Both cars are great but I still think EVO is a lot better in terms of OVERALL performance. Where as STi.. well, the interrior is pretty, 6spd and the DCCD are cool.. Thats for sure.
I don't hink I can agree with "a lot better in terms of OVERALL performance." From everything I've read, every EVO vs STI challenge, blah, blah, blah, the EVO is "slightly" better than the STI. I've never seen results that showed an EVO walking all over an STI. It usually always comes down to a reviewers gut feeling and tenths of a second difference on lap times.

The EVO is damn sexy though.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:30 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX, Aspen White, Stage 1 Cobb
sh*t did i accidentally get to a mitsubishi forum instead of a subaru forum? anybody else driving their dream car and has no desire to own an evo?
Old 05-09-2004, 02:00 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Originally Posted by Heavy Dan
sh*t did i accidentally get to a mitsubishi forum instead of a subaru forum? anybody else driving their dream car and has no desire to own an evo?
You know what's funny though. We praise EVOs here on our forums while the EVO forums think our cars are a joke. What's up with that?
Don't get me wrong though, the EVO does have a lot of potential. It all comes down to whether you'd wanna hang out with the EVO guys rather than the SUBY community. It's the SUBARU community that I'm proud of and I'm so happy I got a WRX, otherwise, I wouldn't meet all these great people and friends that I have now. Don't even get me started on the guys that I've met who own EVOs.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:12 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
The EVO is a nice car, performance-wise, and I don't mind admitting it in public.

If I were in the market for another car, though, it'd be a subie just because I like the Subaru philosophy of their USDM cars all sporting full-time AWD. The WRX and STi and now the Forester XT and Baja turbo are just natural progressions of that same symmetrical AWD concept found throughout the entire car line. They aren't one-offs put together at a third-party shop and then placed back into the sales distribution stream.

I don't worry about what other car boards say about subies or subie owners. I didn't buy a rex to get approval or praise from people I don't know. I bought it because I happen to like Subarus. If someone doesn't like it, I won't lose any sleep over it.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 05-09-2004, 02:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
when your second best.. you got nothing less then to take shmack

to every immature and insecure evo owner
edgar,

Originally Posted by GottaREX
You know what's funny though. We praise EVOs here on our forums while the EVO forums think our cars are a joke. What's up with that?
Don't get me wrong though, the EVO does have a lot of potential. It all comes down to whether you'd wanna hang out with the EVO guys rather than the SUBY community. It's the SUBARU community that I'm proud of and I'm so happy I got a WRX, otherwise, I wouldn't meet all these great people and friends that I have now. Don't even get me started on the guys that I've met who own EVOs.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:43 PM

sorry couldnt make it. i ran a 12.56@108.9 no tuning on my sti at sac a few weeks ago. no tuning which i need. i just need my fmic, fp green and injectors and utec put in and im set. boost was only 15.5.

tony
Old 05-09-2004, 08:43 PM

Amen brother!
Old 05-09-2004, 09:43 PM

Car Info: 991.1 GT3 | M2 CS

You'll never hear that coming out from me about the STi or WRX or any kinda car.. that's for sure!

Face it, the Evo was faster at the event judging by the trap speed. Comparing the amount of mods doesn't make you any faster. It's run what you brung afterall!
Old 05-10-2004, 12:39 AM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX Wagon
Subies rule!

Originally Posted by GottaREX
It's the SUBARU community that I'm proud of and I'm so happy I got a WRX, otherwise, I wouldn't meet all these great people and friends that I have now. Don't even get me started on the guys that I've met who own EVOs.
And I haven't heard about any Mitsubishi dealers that come close to matching Santa Cruz Subaru or even Redwood City Subaru for that matter in service. I was at a Mitsubishi dealership in Daly City and the sales guys were going on about what an awesome street/race car it is and how the dealership is sure as hell going to give anyone a real hard time if they try to bring in the drivetrain for repairs . . .
Old 05-10-2004, 02:27 AM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
The Scooby community ROCKS! I've been a part of a lot of different car "cliques" (Mustangs both old and new [71, 89, and 94], mini trucks [95 S10], semi-luxury cars [IS300], DSM [90 Talon TSi AWD]) and by FAR the Scooby owners are the dopest/coolest/most well adjusted.

That being said, I think the Evo is a pimpmobile (although I'd rather have an Evo VII with AYC/ACD).

Last edited by IS2Scooby; 05-10-2004 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:45 AM

Car Info: 03 EVO 11.5/126 AMS GT35
We had a nice showing for Subbys @ the track.........all in all 5 STI's and 3 Rexs ran.....Only 2 EVOs showed.......

Fastest Evo Posted a 12.38@113 mph..........mods R Vishnu stage1+(HKS 272 CAMS,Turboback exhuast,Xede C16 race tune)

Fastest STI Posted a 12.56@109.7 mods, Turboback exhuast/Xede C16 race tune

The two fastest Cars WERE gonna show down at the end of the night, but the race track closed Early.......there will be a next time.

Hope to see u guys there
Make that next time: June 19...the next Grudge night!!!

Quick Reply: Results: Evo vs STI shoot out May 8th